Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2019, 04:41 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,766,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
The V3 Supercharger upgrade will be able to be used by all Tesla Model 3’s after receiving an over-the-air update....so good news for me.
Good news indeed! That will allow you to "fill up" on the road at about 1% of places people could 30 years ago!

And you will be able to do it in just 10x the time it takes those of us with gasoline powered cars!

Truly amazing stuff Tesla is doing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 04:45 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times
Quote:
The V3 Supercharger upgrade will be able to be used by all Tesla Model 3’s after receiving an over-the-air update....so good news for me.
What kind of connection do Tesla's use to receive these updates? Do they require connecting to a WiFi network, or does each vehicle contain its own live cellular radio?

Old 05-20-2019, 05:02 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
Quote:
I’m sure the 1st generation Roadster owners just need to hold their breath. Maybe an update will come one day.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:02 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Good news indeed! That will allow you to "fill up" on the road at about 1% of places people could 30 years ago!

And you will be able to do it in just 10x the time it takes those of us with gasoline powered cars!

Luckily they are strategically placed along most interstate highways so I can get anywhere I want to go. It hasn’t been an issue for me yet. Also the supercharger network continues to expand so it’s a temporary issue. Thanks for the concern though.

And hey, if you don’t like EVs and Teslas then to each his own. I like my Tesla. It has served me well. Enjoy paying for gas and performing regular oil changes

Old 05-20-2019, 08:05 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
What kind of connection do Tesla's use to receive these updates? Do they require connecting to a WiFi network, or does each vehicle contain its own live cellular radio?
All Teslas have internet connectivity.

Old 05-21-2019, 01:48 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,370,512 times
Quote:
First of all... is the charging really 2-3x faster than it was just like 2 years ago? Pretty sure that isn't true, but if it is please post the charging rates - then and now!

But even so, you realize that gas cars have done this in under 30 hours, right? You are talking about a whole extra day to cross the country. For some people, that's too much.
I think you missed the point or are looking for an argument. The tread was titled "Current state of long distance EV travel" yet they excluded the vehicle that is best able to do a long distance trip. The cannonball run was to show it is very feasible to drive cross country in an EV without issue and in a reasonable time. It was not that the Tesla could beat a gas car but that a proper designed EV with charging support could be a long range trip vehicle without a significant time penalty. With an EV, you get something to eat and use the restroom while it is charging, the overall trip is not significantly slower than an ICE vehicle at normal speeds.

Also, the record for an official cannonball run is at 32 Hrs 7 min. The one run under 30 hrs was in a highly modified car with 67 gallons of fuel that only stopped 3 times to fuel and averaged a very illegal speed of 98 MPH. An unmodified EV will never keep up with the gas time to fill but the time penalty is not as much as most think with an EV. Also, the max efficient speed for a tesla with 120KW chargers is a little over 80 MPH, go faster and your charging time increases past the point of time saved by going faster. But most do not travel that fast on a normal trip.

I have 2 Tesla's, and for a longer trip, it normally takes a little longer than the gas but I prefer the Tesla for longer trips over my ICE vehicles. On the trips I take frequently, 320 miles and 500 miles, the Tesla is about 15 minutes more time on the 320 mile trip and about 30 minutes longer for the other. If I used my wife's car (longer range but no free charging), the 320 mile trip would be about the same as ICE and the longer trip would be about 15 minutes more than ICE. The cost of travel on my Tesla is essentially zero (free charging) and my wife's would be about $10 for the shorter and $18 for the longer vs my gas cost at about $40 and $60. Filling up my Tesla at home is about $5.50 at one house and less than $3 at the other.

Tesla has 3 levels of superchargers, city chargers at 72Kw, the great majority of current Tesla chargers support 120Kw (reported to be increased to 140Kw shortly) and new v3 that are being rolled out right now that support 250Kw. The other EV Cars have the majority of fast Chargers at 50Kw are CHADEMO with a few just being installed that support 150-350 Kw CCS . You cant go cross country on fast chargers currently with CCS. So Tesla would have mostly 120Kw while other EVs would be mostly at 50 KW max. That translates to 2-3 times the speed of charging on average (and about 50% lower cost when paying for the charging on Tesla vs the others).

There are tesla's with over 200K in long distance travel and one that did 300k in a little over 2 years using only Tesla chargers

Quote:
The vehicle, affectionately named “eHawk”, hit the 300,000 milestone on Tuesday August 29th, 2017. Tesloop’s fleet, which, other than this car, is comprised of exclusively Tesla Model X vehicles, travel as much as 17,000 miles per car each month.

During the first 300,000 miles the total combined maintenance and fuel costs of the Tesla Model S were $10,492, with a total of 12 days in the shop. Of these costs, $6,900 was scheduled maintenance and $3500 was headlight damage due to driving through deep water. Had this been an Mercedes S class, the scheduled routine maintenance and fuel would have been $86,000 ($52,000 maintenance and $36,000* fuel) with 112 days of servicing, or for a Lincoln Town Car $70k,000 ($28,000 maintenance and $42,000** fuel) with around 100 days of servicing.
As of Aug 2018 that car is now over 400K miles.

Old 05-21-2019, 02:19 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
I think you missed the point or are looking for an argument. The tread was titled "Current state of long distance EV travel" yet they excluded the vehicle that is best able to do a long distance trip. The cannonball run was to show it is very feasible to drive cross country in an EV without issue and in a reasonable time. It was not that the Tesla could beat a gas car but that a proper designed EV with charging support could be a long range trip vehicle without a significant time penalty. With an EV, you get something to eat and use the restroom while it is charging, the overall trip is not significantly slower than an ICE vehicle at normal speeds.

Also, the record for an official cannonball run is at 32 Hrs 7 min. The one run under 30 hrs was in a highly modified car with 67 gallons of fuel that only stopped 3 times to fuel and averaged a very illegal speed of 98 MPH. An unmodified EV will never keep up with the gas time to fill but the time penalty is not as much as most think with an EV. Also, the max efficient speed for a tesla with 120KW chargers is a little over 80 MPH, go faster and your charging time increases past the point of time saved by going faster. But most do not travel that fast on a normal trip.

I have 2 Tesla's, and for a longer trip, it normally takes a little longer than the gas but I prefer the Tesla for longer trips over my ICE vehicles. On the trips I take frequently, 320 miles and 500 miles, the Tesla is about 15 minutes more time on the 320 mile trip and about 30 minutes longer for the other. If I used my wife's car (longer range but no free charging), the 320 mile trip would be about the same as ICE and the longer trip would be about 15 minutes more than ICE. The cost of travel on my Tesla is essentially zero (free charging) and my wife's would be about $10 for the shorter and $18 for the longer vs my gas cost at about $40 and $60. Filling up my Tesla at home is about $5.50 at one house and less than $3 at the other.

Tesla has 3 levels of superchargers, city chargers at 72Kw, the great majority of current Tesla chargers support 120Kw (reported to be increased to 140Kw shortly) and new v3 that are being rolled out right now that support 250Kw. The other EV Cars have the majority of fast Chargers at 50Kw are CHADEMO with a few just being installed that support 150-350 Kw CCS . You cant go cross country on fast chargers currently with CCS. So Tesla would have mostly 120Kw while other EVs would be mostly at 50 KW max. That translates to 2-3 times the speed of charging on average (and about 50% lower cost when paying for the charging on Tesla vs the others).

There are tesla's with over 200K in long distance travel and one that did 300k in a little over 2 years using only Tesla chargers

As of Aug 2018 that car is now over 400K miles.
But that's not true is it?
Not all charging stations are right next to a restaurant and a bathroom. The spacing from here to a city 4 hours away from me would require me to stop twice for about 30 min at a time while an ICE would require one 5 min stop at the location of my choosing (one of the required stations is in an airport parking garage). Tesla now charges you if you stay at a charger too long, so you better get that food to go and taste it later. Hopefully you don't require 30 min bathroom breaks and food every few hours.

You're making the most of it, but you are sacrificing time and convenience whether you notice it or not.

FYI, nobody spends $28K in maintenance for a Lincoln Town Car. That article took a little liberty there with the days of servicing didn't it?

Here is the full service log for that Tesla https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets..._U8/edit#gid=0''

Note how many freebees Tesla gave away to that car, such as a free battery pack replacement at 194K and another at 324K. Front drive unit at 36K.
Note the "general maintenance" that apparently cost $2176.
The dash panel was replace for free at 290K?
Brake Pads and rotors were $1759...lol

It's apparent Tesla wanted this car to appear that it was both inexpensive and lasted 400K miles. What we really have is a car who's "warranty and goodwill" covered expensive items well past the warranty expiration date and was essentially rebuilt for free.

Last edited by Ziggy100; 05-21-2019 at 02:32 PM..

Old 05-21-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:

First off this thread is about Viability of EV for long distance not Gas vs EV.

Second, there are actually MORE places to charge an EV than gas stations since any 120v outlet is a potential charging spot and most owners charge EVs at home in normal use. Also less than 5% of gas stations are targeting long term travel, you don't need a gas station on every corner in a city competing if travelling long range.

Third, 10x the time is complete fallacy; If driving local, which is the great majority of trips, an ICE vehicle will spend more time filling up than an EV. The gas car is still filling up with gas probably at least once a week and probably spending 5-10 minutes to do so while the Tesla is filling up at home overnight, no time spent to get "filled up". Over 90% of my fill ups are done at home and at about 10% of the cost for gas. My last Gas fill up was almost $60 for gas

Fourth, when travelling long distance, an ICE car takes approximately 5 minutes to fill up the tank and people often use the restroom or get snacks for another 5 min on average. If going long range, the Tesla is normally charging for less than 30 minutes, average probably about 20 to 25 min, enough time to use the restroom and get a snack with little due to extra time charging.

Get your facts straight.

Last edited by ddeemo; 05-21-2019 at 02:45 PM..

Old 05-21-2019, 03:00 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,766,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
First off this thread is about Viability of EV for long distance not Gas vs EV.
But I was replying specifically to someone touting the Tesla supercharger network.

Quote:
Second, there are actually MORE places to charge an EV than gas stations since any 120v outlet is a potential charging spot and most owners charge EVs at home in normal use. Also less than 5% of gas stations are targeting long term travel, you don't need a gas station on every corner in a city competing if travelling long range.
Okay. If you think getting a trickle of charge that literally charges slower than it gets dispensed while in use is a viable option to charge on a long distance trip, then discussing this with you is pointless because your head is buried in the sand.

Quote:
Third, 10x the time is complete fallacy
No, it isn't. It takes me less than 5 minutes to put 400 miles of range in my car. Your Tesla can't do it in less than 50 minutes.

Quote:
If driving local, which is the great majority of trips,
...And not at all what the thread or my replay is/was about...

Quote:
First off this thread is about Viability of EV for long distance
See, you even said as much...

Quote:
Fourth, when travelling long distance, an ICE car takes approximately 5 minutes to fill up the tank and people often use the restroom or get snacks for another 5 min on average. If going long range, the Tesla is normally charging for less than 30 minutes, average probably about 20 to 25 min, enough time to use the restroom and get a snack with little due to extra time charging.
What if I'm not hungry when my car runs out of energy? What if I am hungry when my car is nowhere near a supercharger? What if I don't have a taste for any of the fast food right by the supercharger?\

Do you think these are rare problems? Do you really not see the obvious time and convenience issues that EV drivers have to make sacrifices on

And no, I doubt the average is 20-25 minutes if you are charging on a long distance trip. If that is the case, then you are only charging to like 50-60% capacity and you will be stopping about twice as often as I stop for gas. Take your pick. Stop the same number of times as me and spend 10x as long charging, or stop twice as often as me, and spend 5x as long charging every time.

Quote:
Get your facts straight.
Time to get 400 miles of range on my gas powered car: about 4 minutes
Time to get 400 miles of range on your Tesla: not less than 40 minutes. (actually, you won't be going 400 miles on one 'tank' of a Tesla anytime soon, but you get the point)

So why don't you tell me specifically what facts I posted were not "straight" ?

Old 05-21-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
But that's not true is it?
Not all charging stations are right next to a restaurant and a bathroom. The spacing from here to a city 4 hours away from me would require me to stop twice for about 30 min at a time while an ICE would require one 5 min stop at the location of my choosing (one of the required stations is in an airport parking garage). Tesla now charges you if you stay at a charger too long, so you better get that food to go and taste it later. Hopefully you don't require 30 min bathroom breaks and food every few hours.

You're making the most of it, but you are sacrificing time and convenience whether you notice it or not.

FYI, nobody spends $28K in maintenance for a Lincoln Town Car. That article took a little liberty there with the days of servicing didn't it?

Here is the full service log for that Tesla https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets..._U8/edit#gid=0''

Note how many freebees Tesla gave away to that car, such as a free battery pack replacement at 194K and another at 324K. Front drive unit at 36K.
Note the "general maintenance" that apparently cost $2176.
The dash panel was replace for free at 290K?
Brake Pads and rotors were $1759...lol

It's apparent Tesla wanted this car to appear that it was both inexpensive and lasted 400K miles. What we really have is a car who's "warranty and goodwill" covered expensive items well past the warranty expiration date and was essentially rebuilt for free.
Again, check your facts before posting. Quit being a troll with little knowledge or experience of driving an EV.

All Tesla chargers are right next to bathrooms and restaurants, that is how they locate them. All Tesla could travel about 4 hrs distance with 1 charge of probably about 15 minutes, many newer ones can do that easily without charging once, with a range of as much as 370 miles.

Tesla only charges if the car reaches 100% charge for at least 10 minutes and more than 50% of chargers are in use. You could take an hour or longer if wanted to without getting charged for it. I have never in over 3 years and 2 cars been charged for staying too long.

When I fly out, all EVs get free charging in the garage at the airport that I use, no need to go to a gas station or spend ANY time getting filled up.

The $28k is an estimate for a Town car with 300K miles with oil changes, brakes, tires, alignments, 100K services and other items. They apparently took the figures from a similar service that uses those vehicles.

Those "freebees" are primarily warranty parts, the battery and drive train has 8 year unlimited mile warranty. Most of the general maintenance is primarily tires, alignments and the like. The brakes last significantly longer for an EV because of regenerative braking so probably 1/2 the cost for an ICE car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive