Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 09:55 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times

Advertisements

And what are you going to do keep renting a 3/4 ton pickup to keep hauling your new trailer. Get rid of your 1/2 and get a 3/4 that can handle towing your trailer you just bought. Question why would you buy a travel trailer that you can’t tow with your pickup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 11:52 AM

9,882 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Is this on a seasonal site? When my wife's family had a camper on a seasonal site without sewage, they used a portable dump tank like this:

Old 05-05-2019, 12:04 PM

577 posts, read 494,494 times
When pulling overloads it is not totally about the vehicles capacity to pull it, but more importantly its ability to STOP with it.

Old 05-05-2019, 04:54 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,500,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Question why would you buy a travel trailer that you can’t tow with your pickup.
Don’t hold your breath while waiting for answers!

I’ve been travel trailer hunting as of late and there are countless ads where the owners claim the trailer can be 1/2-ton towed, but the math won’t add up unless it’s a HDPP type 1/2-ton or the trailer is gutted light.

Old 05-05-2019, 06:06 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,419,665 times
Most campgrounds have bathrooms, so use them often and keep your black water tank as empty as possible and you wont have to deal with this.

Old 05-05-2019, 06:20 PM

14,488 posts, read 12,114,400 times
If it's well balanced to not exceed the max tongue weight for your truck, getting it to the dump station and back shouldn't be a big issue if it's level ground, no big hills, up or down.

Old 05-05-2019, 07:01 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clank1337 View Post
So I'm buying a travel trailer that is about 2,000 lbs over my weight limit on my truck so i'm renting a 3/4 ton truck to haul it to a camp site but ultimately I'll have to return the truck and was wondering if I would be able to haul the trailer to the dump site at the campground with my truck. I'm not looking to go fast or be in any rush when going to the dump site but just need to be able to move the trailer around to do what I gotta do within the campground. Any helpful information would be much appreciated the purchase has me really nervous because of this!
If you're not on a public road, it won't be illegal.

Old 05-05-2019, 07:13 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
Don’t hold your breath while waiting for answers!

I’ve been travel trailer hunting as of late and there are countless ads where the owners claim the trailer can be 1/2-ton towed, but the math won’t add up unless it’s a HDPP type 1/2-ton or the trailer is gutted light.
They will learn the hard way than , the owners manual states how much their 1/2 ton can tow but like you said some people think they know better than the manufacture. When their transmission or rear end and engine blow up then they will say i guess i did need a 3/4 ton pickup. And many people are first timers so they will learn the hard way if they don’t tow a trailer with the right pickup or full-size BOF SUV like a suburban or Expedition.

Old 05-05-2019, 07:56 PM

2,260 posts, read 1,137,942 times
2000lbs? Thats half a car. If the trailer isnt balanced right for your truck, the wrong bump on the campground could have the trailer steering you as opposed to the other way around. 2000 more than what your truck is rated is alot of work for the drivetrain and brakes even at slow speeds. if something goes wrong youre going to wish you didnt cheap out.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:37 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,718 times
I dunno what to make of this thread. Have you people never towed/hauled a heavy load with a pickup? Ya'll really think the frame's gonna buckle and the world will come crashing down if he exceeds the towing capacity by 2000 pounds just go do dump the **** tank?

Please.

Ya'll should see some of the loads I've hauled/towed with a half ton pickup. And old/rusty one to boot. I'm not saying it's a good idea... just saying that it's not going to damage the truck as long as you operate with some common sense.

Towing this trailer around the campground will cause *zero* problems. Now it may not tow particularly well on the highway. Could be a serious liability issue if you get into a wreck and it's noticed that you're towing significantly above capacity. But mechanically, as long as you're not bottoming out the rear suspension or going over a pass in the rockies, it's not a big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive