Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 09:03 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
I dunno what to make of this thread. Have you people never towed/hauled a heavy load with a pickup? Ya'll really think the frame's gonna buckle and the world will come crashing down if he exceeds the towing capacity by 2000 pounds just go do dump the **** tank?

Please.

Ya'll should see some of the loads I've hauled/towed with a half ton pickup. And old/rusty one to boot. I'm not saying it's a good idea... just saying that it's not going to damage the truck as long as you operate with some common sense.

Towing this trailer around the campground will cause *zero* problems. Now it may not tow particularly well on the highway. Could be a serious liability issue if you get into a wreck and it's noticed that you're towing significantly above capacity. But mechanically, as long as you're not bottoming out the rear suspension or going over a pass in the rockies, it's not a big deal.
But my question is why in the heck would you buy a camper when you don’t have the right vehicle to tow it. You should always have the most valuable thing first and that’s the proper tow vehicle before you buy a travel trailer. You need a vehicle with a tow package like a oil cooler, transmission cooler,HD cooling system the proper class lll hitch and trailer brakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 09:08 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,765,810 times
More that two decades ago I saw a guy move a *house trailer* with half ton 2wd pickup. Not a camping trailer... 40-some foot long, 12 foot wide house trailer. I can't fault any of you for not believing me... I probably wouldn't believe it either if I hadn't seen it myself. But I saw it just as clearly as that UFO my wife saw one time.

I was 19, living in an awful little trailer park on the north side of Houston at the time. My friends and I were grilling burgers, drinking cheap beer, and working on cars... like we did most weekends. And all of a sudden this middle aged alcoholic comes barreling into the trailer park pulling a house trailer behind his 1971 F100. 2wd, 360 V8, automatic transmission. He was pulling it way too fast because he wasn't sure he could get it started again if he stopped... seeings how in addition to being a goddamn house trailer, it also had a flat tire on each axle (opposite sides).

He barreled into the trailer park and backed it into place. My friends and I were all pretty amused, so we went over to help him. The trailer had a hitch set up for a 2 5/16 ball (I think)... he had just set it down right onto the 1 7/8" ball on the truck's bumper. I **** you not... he had wedged a board in between the frame and the rear axle on each side so that the suspension wouldn't bottom out. He said he'd towed the trailer for about two miles... said he'd paid $4000 for it. And he did this with no obvious damage to the truck.

That changed the next day though. All the trailers were angled with the front end toward the highway. This guy had his angled the wrong way... trailer park manager told him he'd have to turn it around. We helped him jam the boards back into the suspension and hook the trailer back up. He turned it around... and blew a head gasket in the process.

Then we proceeded to consume copious amounts of weed and alcohol while replacing a head gasket

Old 05-05-2019, 09:09 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,765,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
But my question is why in the heck would you buy a camper when you don’t have the right vehicle to tow it. You should always have the most valuable thing first and that’s the proper tow vehicle before you buy a travel trailer. You need a vehicle with a tow package like a oil cooler, transmission cooler,HD cooling system the proper class lll hitch and trailer brakes.
I don't disagree with that. I'm not saying it's a *good idea* to tow more than a truck is rated to tow.

I'm just saying that people do it every single day, and it's not going to cause a problem as long as you use some common sense. Especially if he's just towing it across the campground to dump the tank.

Old 05-06-2019, 03:42 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
I would ask around at the campground. Usually there are a few guys who would gladly use their 1 tons for the job. I'd be very careful about hauling that trailer with the 3/4 ton truck. Its possible you could everstress the transmission or the springs. They might charge you for the repairs. Right tool for the job.

Old 05-06-2019, 04:26 AM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
This is a real confusing post. Im not sure why you would buy a camper that heavy and not have something to pull it with. Must be getting one hell of a deal on it!

You need a portable waste tank. Ive seen some pretty big ones.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:04 AM

17,280 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I would ask around at the campground. Usually there are a few guys who would gladly use their 1 tons for the job. I'd be very careful about hauling that trailer with the 3/4 ton truck. Its possible you could everstress the transmission or the springs. They might charge you for the repairs. Right tool for the job.
You do realize that 3/4 and 1 ton in some cases have identical tow ratings?

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content...DtyPU_May4.pdf

F250 and F350 SRW are rated identical

Old 05-06-2019, 07:14 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
I once towed a Toyoto pickup around my yard with a Snapper Comet 8hp lawnmower.
Go ahead and tow it.

Old 05-06-2019, 07:15 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
You do realize that 3/4 and 1 ton in some cases have identical tow ratings?

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content...DtyPU_May4.pdf

F250 and F350 SRW are rated identical
Correct you have a bunch of people on this tread who have no idea on what vehicle to use, that’s scary i wouldn’t want to be on the road with these people because apparently they have no idea on how to tow a trailer. I would love to see them try to back them up.

Old 05-06-2019, 07:30 AM

24,461 posts, read 17,203,514 times
Are there any grades in the campground? You could strain your truck going up and down the hills.

Are you talking 2000 pounds over the dry weight or with the trailer loaded with gear, water and you know what that you ar looking to dump? You could be way over 2000 pounds.

But on the flip side have you ever been to Europe? I have seen small cars pulling horse trailers. My Brother in Law pulled a 26' boat with a Toureg !

If you do tow the trailer be careful.

Old 05-06-2019, 09:29 AM

1,702 posts, read 1,918,607 times
Hey.... they towed the space shuttle through downtown LA with a Toyota didn't they? This should be fine around the campground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive