Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 06:59 AM

7 posts, read 8,156 times

Advertisements

So, I am in the market for a new vehicle and am looking to purchase an AWD/4x4. I have a commute that is 160 miles round trip that experiences all four season. Snow is a factor for about 5 months of the year and I have to travel up, over and through mountains and higher elevations. I have had a sedan for the past 4 years but after getting stuck multiple times this winter(even with snow tires) I want to go AWD/4x4. I am looking for some recommendations on vehicles that are comfortable, long lasting(I maintain my cars), durable, decent gas mileage fit someone tall like myself(6'4). Any recommendations would be great. My budget is between 45-50k max...but I'd love to stay below that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 07:05 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,081,779 times
I drove a Dodge Nitro for many years. 120 miles round trip each day. It was a good commuter. It comes in many forms now; some with a dodge badge and some with a jeep badge.

I now drive a VW Tiguan. Great vehicle with all wheel drive. Reasonably fuel efficient; cost nothing to buy. I couldn't find something which I liked in the SUV market so I bought this car as a temporary solution. Been just over two years and I have zero issues or complaints. 6' 1" and plenty of room.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:10 AM

1,002 posts, read 918,487 times
I'll need to think about a recommendation that fits your needs, but for the moment I just want to point out that AWD will help prevent getting stuck, but it will *not* help with traction when braking or cornering. Lots of Subarus end up in ditches around here because drivers feel very confident from their ability to accelerate, without realizing there isn't a corresponding improvement in any other traction scenario.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:14 AM

7 posts, read 8,156 times
I am aware of the AWD issue and will run winter tires. I don't expect miracle traction and control, only the ability to hopefully avoid getting stuck as I have these past couple years.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:44 AM

2,778 posts, read 5,166,000 times
I would consider a 4x4 truck with a diesel engine (Ram 1500, Colorado, Ford 150 has diesel now, Titan) and add salt & a shovel in the bed during winter.
Most comfortable for long rides and as safe as it can be.
Also diesel engines are built for mileage, should save you at the pump.

Last edited by 28173; 05-07-2019 at 07:53 AM..

Old 05-07-2019, 07:45 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
We've been very happy with our Subaru OBW's for year-around commuting in Wyoming, Colorado, and the Rocky Mountain states. Currently have 2 ea 2007 2.5 ltr OBW's (his 'n hers), one with 165,000 miles and one with 230,000 miles, both automatic trans. Reasonably priced, fuel economy on 85 octane gasoline runs 27 mpg composite (80 mph highway and around town/dirt county roads to our ranch), with 30-ish mpg in highway driving in dry weather.

After 15 years of using subie's (starting with a 120,000 mile used '95 Brighton wagon that ran 300,000 miles before being sold to a local high schooler who continued to use it commuting Cheyenne WY-Greeley CO), we have never needed snow tires on these cars … and never been stuck. I have used these cars to commute to a 2nd home in Vail, CO, and reliably made the trip up I-70 and the mountain passes. The end of the trip in Vail was up a steep subdivision road leading to a short & steep driveway for our off-street parking. With us having the responsibility for the off-street parking lot snow clearing, there were times where the driveway had a foot or more of snow … and we were always able to get up the driveway. Generally, we ran Michelin All-Season tires which consistently deliver 70,000+ miles of use before the tread is at minimum depth.

The 165 hp 2.5 engine is "adequate" for the driving here at altitude. During inclement weather, you can't use all it's got, especially on the black ice road conditions found in this region. During dry season driving, one might wish for a bit more performance, but it's a reasonable trade-off for performance/fuel economy. The cars can maintain the 65-70 mph speeds on the mountain climbs, but will do so best when downshifted from the top gear … either from 5th to 4th in the manual trans cars, or manually from top gear down one with the automatic. Handling and brakes are more than adequate for the cars if one recognizes that it's not a "sports car".

I've friends who are 6'4", father and son. Both drive the same cars as we do, both have commuted many years Denver - Aspen, to a house outside of town a few miles with a buried-in-the-trees 1/4 mile driveway which can get icy due to freeze-thaw conditions. They, too, have never been stuck with their Subie's using All-Season tires.

As an owner of two 3/4 ton 4x4 turbo-diesel pick up trucks equipped with fairly aggressive tires, my experience is that these vehicles are nowhere near as capable of paved icy roads during our inclement driving months here at altitude (home is almost 6,000' elevation) and in the Rocky mountains or Black Hills. The trucks remain parked unless I need to haul a 'stock trailer during the winter months.

Anybody can drive excessively for the conditions with any vehicle during inclement driving conditions, with the prospect of adverse results. Any AWD vehicle needs to be driven with respect for what it can and cannot do. When I see comments about a certain make taking off-road excursions in inclement weather, I can cite just as many other owners/makes getting similar results.

Of course, personal comfort is unique. Best to sit in the various seats and judge the ergonomics for yourself. I found the leather seats in the upline Subie's to not be as comfortable for me as the lesser model seating.

I've another friend who doesn't like the Subie seating and prefers the Volvo's XC90 he drives now. He's a ski instructor at Loveland CO with a 2nd home in Vail CO, and has had decent fuel economy and performance with the Volvo. Never been stuck with it, but he does run snow tires for the winter seasons. His cost of running the Volvo's is a bit of a shocker, much more expensive than his daughter's Subie (she is a ski instructor at Copper Mtn). Such is the cost of "comfort" for him, he's a manufacturer's rep who can easily put 200-400 miles per day on the cars and trades out every 150,000 miles for a "new" company car. From what I've seen, that's the mileage where these cars have been problematic for him and it's better to pay for a new/reliable/with warranty car than to be nickel and dime'ed to death with an unreliable one.

Our group of skiers have run everything from Audi to BMW to M-B AWD cars for decades. None of them have been as reliable, durable, low cost to run, or gotten the fuel economy of the Subie's. Add in the higher cost of purchase sales tax, registration, and insurance, and these cars were much more expensive to own/operate than the Subie's. Of course, these cars are much more sporting in their capabilities, offer more "creature" comforts and convenience items, and deliver a more luxurious driving experience than the Subie's. They have all been capable inclement weather performers, too. So they have their niche in the AWD marketplace, but it comes "at a price". If, however, you are more comfortable in one of these marques, they may be a solution for you, too.

Last edited by sunsprit; 05-07-2019 at 07:54 AM..

Old 05-07-2019, 07:52 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,257,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
I would consider a 4x4 truck with a diesel engine (Ram 1500 or Colorado, Ford 150 has diesel now) and add salt & a shovel in the bed during winter.
Diesel Colorado or Canyon is the answer.
Lots of torque, yet still good on gas. Price is under your budget if you stay away from the Denalis.
They're not full size, but they're real trucks.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:15 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
If you got stuck multiple times with snow tires, then it sounds to me like you need something with a much higher chassis height than just driving additional wheels.

I'd really lean towards body on frame trucks or SUV's here. I had a Jeep Wrangler years ago that would go thru 2 feet of snow without a problem. The chassis sits so high it did not high center, and the 4wd locks in to push thru.

I now have an AWD Charger, my wife an Outback. Both are very capable in slippery conditions, but neither is going thru the depth of accumulation that Jeep would tackle. Not even close!

Old 05-07-2019, 08:39 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,651,436 times
Acura RDX with AWD (some marketing genius came up with "Super Handling All Wheel Drive" so Acura labels it SH-AWD), with Technology Package and Advance Package.

The Acura configure-it-yourself website lists it at $47,700. Add in the $995 delivery charge and it is $48,695. Very reliable, 22/28 mileage, and very comfortable.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:13 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Subaru Outback (32 mpg highway) or Subaru Forester (33 mpg highway). Either one is under $40k in the top of the line Touring trim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive