Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 07:22 PM

3 posts, read 1,815 times

Advertisements

I have a 2004 Escalade in great condition. I am moving from San Diego to MN in June. I am driving and towing a small uhaul trailer. No furniture just boxes of personal stuff and clothing. I have never towed before and am wondering how difficult this is and any tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2019, 07:29 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,093 times
Not difficult, and a 2004 Escalade should be more than adequate. Here are a few tips:

1. Load heavier stuff in the front of the trailer. The front needs to be significantly heavier than the rear (a few hundred pounds tongue weight), otherwise it will wag like the tail on a dog.

2. Take photos of the trailer before you leave so you can't be blamed for pre-existing damage.

3. Make sure all the lights work before you leave. Trailer lights are notoriously unreliable.

4. Make wide turns. It's easy to hit stuff with a trailer if you're not paying attention.

Old 05-12-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Not difficult, and a 2004 Escalade should be more than adequate. Here are a few tips:

1. Load heavier stuff in the front of the trailer. The front needs to be significantly heavier than the rear (a few hundred pounds tongue weight), otherwise it will wag like the tail on a dog.

2. Take photos of the trailer before you leave so you can't be blamed for pre-existing damage.

3. Make sure all the lights work before you leave. Trailer lights are notoriously unreliable.

4. Make wide turns. It's easy to hit stuff with a trailer if you're not paying attention.

Will uhaul it it up for me?

Old 05-12-2019, 07:50 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tia19652001 View Post
Will uhaul it it up for me?
We've got a typo here... are you asking if u-haul will hook it up for you?

They *should* hook it up for you. But U-haul places vary a lot by location... it's very hit and miss. Some are a full-service location that will install hitches, do mechanical work, etc. Others are just a gas station. But pick a large U-haul store in a decent neighborhood, and I'm sure they'll hook it up for you.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:06 PM

Thank you for the advise.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:20 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times
It's not difficult at all to pull a small trailer but just don't forget it's back there. It's easy to do on a long tiring drive.

Also, keep an eye on the hitch hookup at every gas stop and kick the tires ever so often at stops to make sure they're still inflated. Check your lights in a safe area before dark.

Make sure you have the right jacks, tools and spare tires to be able to repair a flat tire on the trailer, or on your own vehicle, if you don't have AAA or someone like that who can come out and help. People just don't stop and help broken down cars on the side of the road these days. Ask my 67 year old wife.

Good luck and be safe.

PS:: Carry a good flashlight with you at all times.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:57 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,902,148 times
Good advice already. Balanced loading, in particular. Note to allow extra time for slower speeds. Try to avoid getting yourself in tight spots/lots where you need to maneuver too much. Example, backing up takes some skill.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:59 PM

6,360 posts, read 4,184,849 times
You should not have any problems, at all especially when considering the vehicle you are driving. Back up can be a little challenging but not impossible and you think ahead when pulling into a lot so you can park and exit without backing up.

Like the UHaul expression goes, An Adventure in Moving!

Old 05-12-2019, 09:22 PM

8,551 posts, read 10,975,842 times
If you should need to back up, remember to turn the steering wheel in the opposite direction you want the trailer to go, and do it slowly.

Bob.

Old 05-12-2019, 09:33 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,903,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tia19652001 View Post
I have a 2004 Escalade in great condition. I am moving from San Diego to MN in June. I am driving and towing a small uhaul trailer. No furniture just boxes of personal stuff and clothing. I have never towed before and am wondering how difficult this is and any tips.
Here's the best advice you'll ever get.

Rent one for a day and practice driving around town and in and out of parking lots. Find a big parking lot with a large open area and practice backing up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive