Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 05:34 AM

4,554 posts, read 3,752,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Before proclaiming the SO's position ridiculous perhaps it would be beneficial to know their reasoning for not wanting to put the car inside.

11 pages later and there isn't a single reason mentioned as to why park the car in the 95 degree sun vs the garage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 05:59 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
11 pages later and there isn't a single reason mentioned as to why park the car in the 95 degree sun vs the garage.
I don't think the SO has posted here and the OP did not see fit to tell us the whole story.

Old 05-29-2019, 08:22 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,419,493 times
Quote:
But that’s your point- the point of this thread is that the OP has a garage but trying to convince/argue with SO about putting the car in that garage vs keeping it outside, which is ridiculous. The sun is plenty powerful and will usually win against any object.
The sun is not a problem in Michigan like Florida so no problem here only problem is cleaning off the snow but i like the winter weather. And i know people who has made their garage into a work shop to do woodwork or metal work and have machinery in their garages.

Old 05-29-2019, 08:55 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
Well, there was one reason: convenience/ease of driving in and out. That’s pretty much it.

Old 05-30-2019, 07:02 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
There probably isn't one. In my case however, there is a good reason to park in the driveway. My F150 will not fit in the garage. Well, actually it will, but I won't be able to exit the truck. It's a two-car but has two separate doors and a 6x6 post right where the truck door would open. Besides, we rarely get over 80-85, and my north-facing driveway is shaded by the house 24/7.

Old 05-30-2019, 12:29 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
We hope that people aren't considering their daily driver an "investment." We only buy used cars and want them to last as long as possible, of course, but they aren't an investment.

On the other hand, many of the things in our garage ARE investments that will not depreciate like most cars, and they would be ruined a lot faster than a car if they were left outside. So there is that
No, but they 1) do depreciate, 2) are an inescapable necessity for many people in the US, 3) their long term value is affected by appearance 4) are expensive to fix if something happens to them, even if you have insurance.

So why wouldn't you park it in a garage, assuming you aren't mindfully using the space for something other than storing generic "stuff"? If you have a shop that you utilize, a hobby or collector car, a boat, then I get it. If you're storing stuff that you don't want to part with for vague reasons then you need to reevaluate.

Old 06-02-2019, 11:15 AM

99 posts, read 79,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
There must be another side, although I can't figure it out.

My company has a multi-story parking garage for our buildings here in Dallas. The buildings have never been occupied anywhere close to maximum capacity, so the garage always has plenty of spaces under cover.

Yet, there are always people who park on the top deck--and at the far edge, at that--despite the Texas sun and the possibility of hail.
Bet you they are afraid of a garage collapse. If the vehicle is on top then it can likely drive out.

Mine is now in the garage and there is no more "smell of gas" because it got tuned up, ran, and it was running too rich and dumping too much fuel.. slightly stinky. It is fine now.

Old 06-03-2019, 10:36 AM

1,514 posts, read 1,793,278 times
This was probably mentioned somewhere in the previous 11 pages, but in addition to the obvious benefits (less wear and tear on paint/trim, car interior stays more comfortable, car washes needed less frequently, less inclination to accumulate junk, less chance of vandalism or theft), there's also the cumulative aesthetic and safety effect of garage vs street/driveway-parked cars. A neighborhood in which most cars are parked outside is more cramped and cluttered-looking, is less safe for pedestrians and children playing near the street (since parked cars obstruct the views of both pedestrians/children and drivers), and is more of target for petty crime (criminals will target a neighborhood with lots of outdoor-parked cars, potentially filled with valuables, before a neighborhood with few of them).

Regarding street-parked cars in particular, there is something mildly antisocial about commandeering a public space for storage of a personal possession 90%+ of a time. Unless a neighborhood literally has no garages or driveways for residents to store their cars in, street parking should be regarded as primarily for the benefit of short-term visitors. I find it absurd that in many cities, the opposite is true, and residents are actually encouraged to commandeer the street for long-term storage of their vehicles (via residents-only parking permits).

I can only think of one benefit of parking outside, and that is that if you're a poor driver, you're less likely to scrape your car or garage opening if you park outside vs in the garage. Even though I've made room in our three-car garage for my mother-in-law to store her car inside during her visits (next to my and my wife's cars, which are ALWAYS stored inside), she refuses to park inside because she's worried about hitting the garage. Given that she's already scraped her car against our driveway security gate more than once, her concern is probably legitimate.

Old 06-03-2019, 10:50 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,419,493 times
it’s called choice i could care less why people don’t park in their garage it’s a free country you can park in or outside of your garage.

Old 06-05-2019, 10:38 PM

423 posts, read 458,159 times
Heat wrecks paint, plastics, rubber, tires. Wax only slows down the UV damage. It doesn't prevent it. Cars will also stay cleaner longer if garaged, it's not constantly exposed to air pollution or bird droppings.

Honestly if you live in a good neighborhood, leaving your car outside isn't really a security risk unless it's something sought after or you pissed someone off.

I don't get why some people will willingly turn their garage into a "man cave" or hangout spot and not at least make room for their car when not in use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive