Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 03:31 PM

99 posts, read 79,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I'd be very curious to hear the other side of this "debate"...IMHO its an obvious no-brainer to put a car in a garage if one is available. Even without the convenience of a garage door opener I have and definitely would do it.
Have to agree with you, for once (I usually don't.) A garage is for a car, not piled to the gills with stuff that is not a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 05:37 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Refugee View Post
If the garage is attached, it's a waste and shouldn't be used for cars, lawnmowers or chemicals. Attached garages came about when this agenda 21 nonsense kicked off in earnest. Your catalytic converter keeps working for 30 minutes after you park. All kinds of fumes are being expelled into the living areas. Sure that drywall tape in the garage will protect you. 🙄

The only type of garage safe to use is a detached garage, especially if you own a car that can only use premium fuel.
The level of ignorance sometimes really astonishes me. There were attached garages long before Agenda 21, which has nothing to do with garages. Garages today are sealed off from the living area and no fumes will get into the house unless you leave the door between the two open. The whole idea behind garages is to have a safe place for one's vehicles.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:15 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,074,989 times
Leaving a car outside in the summer sun, can gradually make your TIRES rot and crack.

One of my tires now, has been driven only 34K miles, and already it has wide, bad cracks all the way round the entire sidewall, so I plan to replace it.

Keeping your car draped with a Tarp in summer, can also help prevent tire rotting.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:08 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,199,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Refugee View Post
If the garage is attached, it's a waste and shouldn't be used for cars, lawnmowers or chemicals. Attached garages came about when this agenda 21 nonsense kicked off in earnest. Your catalytic converter keeps working for 30 minutes after you park. All kinds of fumes are being expelled into the living areas. Sure that drywall tape in the garage will protect you. 🙄

The only type of garage safe to use is a detached garage, especially if you own a car that can only use premium fuel.

I also do not park vehicles in the garage. Anything with gas in it, other combustibles, chemicals, etc are stored out and away from the living area. I have a shed roof that I can pull under if necessary and it is about 50 feet from the house. I live in a rural area and there is no way that a firetruck would get here on time as someone has to get the call and drive to the fire station.

If I lived in a high crime area, I might be tempted to, but there is very little crime in our area. There is a risk of rodents chewing the wiring, but that could happen in a garage as well and I would not want an electrical issue in a vehicle inside a garage attached to the house. All vehicles are parked back from the house.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:16 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
I also do not park vehicles in the garage. Anything with gas in it, other combustibles, chemicals, etc are stored out and away from the living area. I have a shed roof that I can pull under if necessary and it is about 50 feet from the house. I live in a rural area and there is no way that a firetruck would get here on time as someone has to get the call and drive to the fire station.

If I lived in a high crime area, I might be tempted to, but there is very little crime in our area. There is a risk of rodents chewing the wiring, but that could happen in a garage as well and I would not want an electrical issue in a vehicle inside a garage attached to the house. All vehicles are parked back from the house.
You’d better not become an RVer with that fear of vehicular explosions and fumes.

If you smoke cigarettes...

Old 05-23-2019, 08:43 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Your second largest investment and you want to leave it outside?

Old 05-23-2019, 08:51 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
I remember visiting my great grandmother in Arkansas when I was 8 years old. She was in her 90's then. The house she lived in was the one she was born in and had spent her entire life. It had no bathroom built in the house. Back in the 60's my uncles were going to add on to her home and build her a bathroom.

She told her sons that she would not have it, bathrooms are not sanitary. You can get sick. A bathroom should not be part of a home.

My uncles built her a separate building with a bathroom that she could use. I never forgot that.

This is the same idea when someone says you should not have a garage that is connected to your home. Built to code you have a fire wall separating the house and the garage. The door connecting the house and the garage is self closing. The garage is vented to the outside and not connected to the home ventilation.

In today's sue everyone world, if it was not safe builders would not connect the garage to the house.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:13 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I'd be very curious to hear the other side of this "debate"...IMHO its an obvious no-brainer to put a car in a garage if one is available. Even without the convenience of a garage door opener I have and definitely would do it.
There must be another side, although I can't figure it out.

My company has a multi-story parking garage for our buildings here in Dallas. The buildings have never been occupied anywhere close to maximum capacity, so the garage always has plenty of spaces under cover.

Yet, there are always people who park on the top deck--and at the far edge, at that--despite the Texas sun and the possibility of hail.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:14 AM

577 posts, read 494,246 times
Nothing to add that has not already been said except maybe...why would anyone want to sit down in a 130 Deg. F. vehicle and chance getting sweat marks on their clothing ?

When they can drive it out of an attached garage and their vehicle will be around 70 -80 degrees F. inside of it. And while not needing NEAR as much AC running in the vehicle to cool it down = gas savings. JMO

Old 05-23-2019, 09:33 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Leaving a car outside in the summer sun, can gradually make your TIRES rot and crack.

One of my tires now, has been driven only 34K miles, and already it has wide, bad cracks all the way round the entire sidewall, so I plan to replace it.

Keeping your car draped with a Tarp in summer, can also help prevent tire rotting.
I've never heard this. Ever, at least if you're regularly driving the car. I think its a problem with your tires. If you park the car for long periods that's different but I think the same would be true in a garage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
The level of ignorance sometimes really astonishes me. There were attached garages long before Agenda 21, which has nothing to do with garages. Garages today are sealed off from the living area and no fumes will get into the house unless you leave the door between the two open. The whole idea behind garages is to have a safe place for one's vehicles.
Not to mention, you know, that the garage door is 10 feet wide and opens to the outdoors every single time you drive the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive