Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 12:49 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I always leave my car outside. I need the garage to hold broken things that I need to fix one day. Also it is a PIA to park in the garage.
Lol get rid of all the broken things then it won’t be a pita to park
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 01:10 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,105,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Refugee View Post
If the garage is attached, it's a waste and shouldn't be used for cars, lawnmowers or chemicals. Attached garages came about when this agenda 21 nonsense kicked off in earnest. Your catalytic converter keeps working for 30 minutes after you park. All kinds of fumes are being expelled into the living areas. Sure that drywall tape in the garage will protect you. 🙄

The only type of garage safe to use is a detached garage, especially if you own a car that can only use premium fuel.

Most modern attached garages, either by design or by building code, have air vents or exchanges to prevent this from happening.

Old 05-24-2019, 01:54 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,698,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Yes, you should also keep your house out of the rain and sun. Also keep your garage out of the weather. It will last much longer.

I am well aware that had I always garaged my truck it would probably last three or four days longer than it is going to having been parked outside when I am home. I may lost a few days at the end of my rucks life, but I am likely to get rid of it around 250,000 - 300,000 miles, so the lost days will be someone else's problem, not mine.

Everybody is an expert. For you to deny that protecting a car from the elements only gives you a few more days, shows you know very little about cars. I build them, I collect them. You can wax the Hell out of car, and put any other kind of surface treatment on it you want, and NOTHING is as protective as just keeping the sun, rain, bird droppings, bugs, etc off of the surface.

The ones I keep in my garage and shop look like the day I built them (one is over 30 years old) and if they had been sitting out 100% of the time, I guarantee you they would not look like they do.

But, if it works for you, fine.

Old 05-24-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
We hope that people aren't considering their daily driver an "investment." We only buy used cars and want them to last as long as possible, of course, but they aren't an investment.

On the other hand, many of the things in our garage ARE investments that will not depreciate like most cars, and they would be ruined a lot faster than a car if they were left outside. So there is that

If these things are truly investments (i.e. appreciating assets), then why don't you keep them in a more secure place than a garage?

Old 05-24-2019, 02:53 PM

724 posts, read 530,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
If these things are truly investments (i.e. appreciating assets), then why don't you keep them in a more secure place than a garage?
What's more secure than a garage attached or nearby your home?

Old 05-24-2019, 02:59 PM

724 posts, read 530,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
We hope that people aren't considering their daily driver an "investment." We only buy used cars and want them to last as long as possible, of course, but they aren't an investment.

On the other hand, many of the things in our garage ARE investments that will not depreciate like most cars, and they would be ruined a lot faster than a car if they were left outside. So there is that
That's why I built a shed. The 3 car garage could barely fit the two cars, along with all the bikes, ramps, skateboards, golf clubs, tools, etc that a house with 5 people uses. Now, with the oldest getting ready to drive, it just made sense to move a bunch of stuff to a shop in the back yard, so the boys and I built a 15x15 shed that doubles as my sanctuary.

Old 05-24-2019, 03:18 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock1015 View Post
Hello,

Been debating this with my S/O every time it starts getting warm. I insist on parking the cars in the garage for various reasons, cooler better security etc. Is there anything else concrete that would be a benefit to putting the car in the garage vs outside? I live in South Carolina where it is starting to get near 95 degrees everyday.
I don't see an advantage to leaving the car outside. I always park in my garage, unless it's temporarily full of stuff so my car won't fit. Security, protecting the paint, keeping the car cooler, easier access (I just open the door to the garage, and my dog can go unleashed right to the car and hop in, and it's a shorter distance for carrying in groceries.)

Old 05-24-2019, 03:36 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
My garage, my decision on how it's used.

Old 05-24-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgo42 View Post
What's more secure than a garage attached or nearby your home?
And how many people, at one time or another, don't ever leave their garage door open and unattended while they go back into their house, even if for a moment?

Old 05-24-2019, 04:35 PM

14,313 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Such as what? Our attached garage is as secure as the rest of our house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive