Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 05:28 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,387,704 times

Advertisements

I have never messed with an electric car. When I lived in a community where there were many golf carts used on the streets, almost all were gas. When folks heard what new batteries cost, they bought gas carts. I had one and I filled the 5 gal gas tank every other month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 05:55 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
I have never messed with an electric car. When I lived in a community where there were many golf carts used on the streets, almost all were gas. When folks heard what new batteries cost, they bought gas carts. I had one and I filled the 5 gal gas tank every other month.
Right now I’m borrowing an electric golf cart so I can get around my property while I have a broken ankle. I gotta admit, it sure is smooth and quiet.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:44 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Batteries aren't that unproven and most of the modern thermally managed packs seem to last for a loooong time. Which is also why they are warranteed for 8 years 100k miles. But there are a lot of early EVs and PHEVs that are well over 200k miles already with no signs of slowing down (except for the Leaf with its air cooled battery pack)

Ever get a cost quote for a new replacement engine for a car? Not a rebuild, but a new one in order to make it comparable with getting a new battery pack... Are those engines subsidized if you have to get one after a car has 100-200k miles on it?
The 350 Vortex motor on my 2001 Silverado already passed the 200,000 mile mark. I have replaced steering hoses, water pump, and serpentne belt, but that's about it.

Old 06-12-2019, 02:27 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,376,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
The 350 Vortex motor on my 2001 Silverado already passed the 200,000 mile mark. I have replaced steering hoses, water pump, and serpentne belt, but that's about it.
Might think about replacing the Oil, Oil Filter, Antifreeze, Spark Plugs, Air Filter and don't forget emission system components like mufflers and smog checks - all the other type of things that keep a gas car running but are not needed in an EV. I bet you have replaced or paid for all of these items, most more than once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive