Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 08:55 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times

Advertisements

Some of the prices you find look too good to be true. I'll see trucks priced >$10k less than what the equivalent in my home state would cost. Yet, at initial glance there doesn't seem to be any hidden "ifs ands or buts" in the pricing, and these dealers have pretty decent reviews. I would happily travel 800 miles to save that kind of money, but I don't want to waste a plane ticket and wind up in a "gotcha" situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2019, 09:19 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Hire a car inspection company or expert to go see and give you a report on the car. I have sold two cars to out of state people. Each time I had a inspection performed.
Once that was done I held the vehicle off the market for a agreed amount of time. I never make a price agreement over the phone.

Old 05-26-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Hire a car inspection company or expert to go see and give you a report on the car. I have sold two cars to out of state people. Each time I had a inspection performed.
Once that was done I held the vehicle off the market for a agreed amount of time. I never make a price agreement over the phone.
These are actually "new" trucks, 2019. I definitely wouldn't make an agreement without seeing face to face though, a reasonable deposit I am OK with.

Old 05-26-2019, 11:21 AM

608 posts, read 516,075 times
i'm researching my next used car, and I'm using a few of the car selling sites like auto trader, truecar, carvana etc. I don't use car gurus that much because it seems rare to find a free carfax report I can read. I know that carfax isn't the gospel truth, but at least you can see things like oil and filter changes. It seems to me that most of the time when I see prices that are much lower than others of the same make I read the carfax and find accident reports and or structural damage. I avoid those cars.

Old 05-26-2019, 11:54 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Some of the prices you find look too good to be true. I'll see trucks priced >$10k less than what the equivalent in my home state would cost. Yet, at initial glance there doesn't seem to be any hidden "ifs ands or buts" in the pricing, and these dealers have pretty decent reviews. I would happily travel 800 miles to save that kind of money, but I don't want to waste a plane ticket and wind up in a "gotcha" situation.
For the few times I've used AutoTrader to try and sell, I've had zero luck. And that's no exaggeration. However, I have used it in the past to locate vehicles, as well as CarGurus, with some success but only locally.

Pickup trucks out here in west Texas are cheap I think because they are so plentiful. On one hand though the average mileage on a west Texas or New Mexico vehicle is considered to be somewhere around 15,000 per year. On the other hand, don't bother to look for rust.

Old 05-26-2019, 12:11 PM

Thanks for the replies. Yeah once again I am looking exclusively for new vehicles, so stuff like Carfax is not important to me.

Old 05-26-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfangle9 View Post
i'm researching my next used car, and I'm using a few of the car selling sites like auto trader, truecar, carvana etc. I don't use car gurus that much because it seems rare to find a free carfax report I can read. I know that carfax isn't the gospel truth, but at least you can see things like oil and filter changes. It seems to me that most of the time when I see prices that are much lower than others of the same make I read the carfax and find accident reports and or structural damage. I avoid those cars.
You won’t see them for my vehicles past warranty period as I diy after that. In fact I diy 99% of my automotive work after warranty period is over. I have full records of maintenance and mechanical work completed. However I don’t write down oil changes as it’s 5k intervals. I will however include the oil filters that I buy in bulk. I have a full wall of oil and air filters, engine and gear oil , various fluids and maintenance parts.

I’m betting some of the big car sales guys on YouTube like ChevyDude will make you a deal fly out and buy it.

Old 05-27-2019, 09:01 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,495,584 times

I am looking for a used car and I use Carguru's the most. Once I find a car I like and it sounds like a good buy, I find out on the CarGuru's report who the dealer is. Go online to that dealer and look for your car. It usually always has a free CARFAX report on it. I agree, looking at the CARFAX is really helpful because it tells you the history of the car, when it got off the boat, got to the dealer, when it was prepped for sale, the date it actually went on sale on their lot, when it was sold, etc.

What's nice is it tells you when it got serviced and what was done, in detail. That is really nice to know that kind of information. It tells you if the car's been in any accidents and if a loan was taken out on it, on and on. But the CarGuru's report usually won't have the link to the CARFAX on the car, the dealer's website will. Hope this information was helpful to you.

Old 05-27-2019, 09:52 AM

599 posts, read 498,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
These are actually "new" trucks, 2019. I definitely wouldn't make an agreement without seeing face to face though, a reasonable deposit I am OK with.
I can probably guess exactly what is happening. The dealer is pulling some crap that is not exactly illegal, but quoting numbers that you are HIGHLY unlikely to qualify for. I ran into this last year when looking for a really basic domestic minivan. Most legitimate local dealers were in the $22,000 range for the van. These were leftovers that had MSRPs in the $27-28 range. A few out of area dealers were at $17,999, or ten grand off. Now it would be possible to buy that car for that amount, assuming you are a recent college grad, active service member, are trading in a competitor's vehicle, are financing through the manufacturer, have the manufacturer's credit card, are a member of the farm bureau, have a 750+ credit score, and on, and on, and on.

Bottom line is that they are offering a price that is, by the most stretched of definitions, technically a legal offer, but there are thousands of dollars worth of incentives that most people fail to qualify for, and to get down to the $17,999 figure, there may be one in a million buyers who would qualify for the whole list. In one other case the dealer was showing a crazy low price, and claiming that there were absolutely no "catches" and they can sell the car for that price. The truth was, it was a governmental fleet buy, and any township, city, police department, etc.... could buy the van for $18K, but it was "erroneously" posted as being available to Joe Public, who was not allowed to buy it.

Old 05-27-2019, 09:56 AM

If you’re buying new

Any dealer can run a locator to find a vehicle with the options color you want if you want to buy that day.

You can build it online send your request to multiple dealers, get a contact name and deal ONLY with that person tell them you need a out the door price before you walk in and let them fight it out.

You can bring your own financing so there is no surprise your payment is now more games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive