Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 07:43 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Once you have the pan off, consider having it drilled & tapped for a drain plug.

Or get an aftermarket pan, possibly bigger capacity than stock, with a drain plug.

On AT with no drain plug, a "topside" oil changer can be a big help. Although, if you are going to drive it up on ramps, remember you have to do that *before* you remove the fluid.

As to getting the pan un-stuck, I'm surprised I'm the first to recommend a plastic hammer. I mean, it depends on what they glued it with, but most gasket sealers are not that tenacious. Tap, don't smash, OK?

As pointed out by others, be careful not to damage the sealing surfaces, particularly the one on the transola itself, if you use prying instruments to separate.

It would be a damn good shop that I would trust to do anything to really correct this, most would just glue it back in place, particularly if as some have guessed the previous owner did this because he had damaged the sealing surfaces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 07:58 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Or get an aftermarket pan, possibly bigger capacity than stock, with a drain plug.

On AT with no drain plug, a "topside" oil changer can be a big help. Although, if you are going to drive it up on ramps, remember you have to do that *before* you remove the fluid.

As to getting the pan un-stuck, I'm surprised I'm the first to recommend a plastic hammer. I mean, it depends on what they glued it with, but most gasket sealers are not that tenacious. Tap, don't smash, OK?

As pointed out by others, be careful not to damage the sealing surfaces, particularly the one on the transola itself, if you use prying instruments to separate.

It would be a damn good shop that I would trust to do anything to really correct this, most would just glue it back in place, particularly if as some have guessed the previous owner did this because he had damaged the sealing surfaces.
I wouldn’t imagine a plastic hammer to help if the pan is stuck on with some gasket agent. I would go get one of those thin thin drywall putty knives. They are almost razor blade thin and sharp but not brittle like a razor blade.

Another thing op could try is some heavy duty fishing line with two wooden handles to saw cut through a corner or the whole edge.
Most transmission pans today have reusable gaskets and as far as I remember even on old transmissions instructions specifically stated not to use any sealant on the pan or the gasket. So I bet you’re right the PO damaged either the case or the pan lip. Hopefully none of the gasket sealer came loose and found it’s way in the transmission

Old 05-29-2019, 09:47 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,093 times
Pry it off. Scrap the goop off. Clean it with brake cleaner. Reinstall with new goop (or a gasket if that's what it's supposed to have and the surfaces are in good condition). This is very basic stuff.

I don't know about Mazda, but some OEM's (Mopar anyway) routinely install their automatic transmission pans with RTV. It's not a problem if done correctly. Might even be preferable if somebody has damaged the gasket surfaces.

Old 05-30-2019, 06:09 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
A lot of transmissions nowadays don’t even have a “filter” anymore, they just have a mesh screen. The refilling procedure can be tricky since none of them have a dipstick anymore, so I usually use a painters bucket with measurements written on the side. However many ounces I drain out, I put exactly that much back in.

Old 06-01-2019, 02:56 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,056,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Once you have the pan off, consider having it drilled & tapped for a drain plug.
While doing this will make it simpler to drain the fluid (oil) it does nothing to remove the very fine sediment that all transmissions have.

That said, removing the pan washing/wiping it clean is way, way,way better than just an oil change.

Old 06-01-2019, 02:59 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,056,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
A lot of transmissions nowadays don’t even have a “filter” anymore, they just have a mesh screen. The refilling procedure can be tricky since none of them have a dipstick anymore, so I usually use a painters bucket with measurements written on the side. However many ounces I drain out, I put exactly that much back in.
Ok, this will work sorta kinda. But unless you refill to what the owners manual calls for you are risking transmission failure due to under filling

Old 06-01-2019, 09:51 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
Ok, this will work sorta kinda. But unless you refill to what the owners manual calls for you are risking transmission failure due to under filling
In my case the owners manual doesn’t call for anything since they don’t intend for owners to mess with it. There is a specific procedure in the shop manual that involves using a scan tool, getting the fluid up to an exact temp, and then draining excess from the overflow plug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive