Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 10:59 AM

18,718 posts, read 7,597,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I know of two different places where I drive frequently with incorrect speed limits displayed.
The display says the limit is higher than it is.

The speed limits in those two places were lowered a couple of years ago.
Navigation does not stay current enough to work for ticket writing.
My 2019 Accord can see speed limit signs ahead, and displays them on the dash.

It also has a computer (or six), that records how fast I am going, how heavily I am braking, etc. Who knows what else it is keeping a record of. All the cops need is a subpoena. Or maybe just a little computer reader from eBay. If they think you're speeding (or drunk), isn't that Probable Cause?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
sorry but i dont want my vehicle telling the cops how fast i am going.
Too late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2019, 12:47 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,186,339 times
This is why I drive a 1971 BMW.

Old 05-27-2019, 03:44 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
My 2019 Accord can see speed limit signs ahead, and displays them on the dash.

It also has a computer (or six), that records how fast I am going, how heavily I am braking, etc. Who knows what else it is keeping a record of. All the cops need is a subpoena. Or maybe just a little computer reader from eBay. If they think you're speeding (or drunk), isn't that Probable Cause?

Too late.

not really, right now. as you noted they need to get a warrant in order to get a hold of the vehicles records stored in the computer. and if they hack into the computer, either using a scanner of some sort, and use that information, then THEY are the ones getting into trouble for violating your right to privacy, as well as violating several state and federal anti-hacking laws, and many others, assuming they did it without a warrant, and use that information for ANYTHING against you.

a good lawyer would fry the cop in court, and then you could sue the cop personally, as since they violated many laws and rights, their qualified immunity would be GONE. and once sued, you can also file criminal charges against the in both state and federal court, some of those charges are felonies, s they would indeed be completely screwed.

Old 05-27-2019, 03:50 PM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
Judging by the roads out there..this will never happen because 99.99% of all drivers would be found to speed...including cops, judges, district attorneys and so forth.

I try to go the speed limit, but it changes often in the suburban environment I live in and then the terrain is hilly, so it actually is quite the chore to keep the car around the speed limit at all times. And judging by the fact people always seem to blow past you even when you're going 5 above....I would be shocked if there's a driver in this area who wouldn't have gotten a ticket if such an automated system existed. And that's in VA where people actually try to avoid extreme speeding due to the strict reckless driving laws around here.

Old 05-27-2019, 03:54 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
Not everyone has a navigation device. I have no expectation that I will ever have one.

Old 05-27-2019, 04:43 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
So what happens if your buddy borrows your car? Cops don’t know you’re not driving
This is why the tickets sent by mail for speed cameras do not go on your record. They may still be expensive $240 in Seattle in one case I know of) but are on the car, like a parking ticket.

Old 05-27-2019, 04:51 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Never happen...

You have a right to face your accuser...

Lol Said no one who ever got and paid for a red light camera ticket...ever.

Old 05-27-2019, 05:48 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Some day insurance companies may require vehicle speed to be constantly monitored. Or, just skip ahead to driver less cars that never are allowed to speed. Whatever. I would look forward to the day when cars aren't speeding but I'm afraid it will be after my driving/riding days are over.

Old 05-27-2019, 05:57 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Good lord. Why would you even put that vibe out into the universe?
How's this different from cameras issuing tickets or license plate readers or even biometrics that are collected without your knowledge? Experience has shown that if the data are there, they will be used. I wouldn't put it past the insurance companies to lead the way.

Old 05-27-2019, 06:00 PM

9,399 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
My navigation unit shows the speed limit on any stretch of the road I am on so theoretically the police can know that too. Doesn't this make getting speeding tickets in the traditional way obsolete? Why should the police risk their lives by pulling people over to issue them speeding tickets? The car talks to the police and you get a text message. End of story. They wouldn't know what to do with the money.
Navs are not always correct regarding posted speed. My Garmin isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive