Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 06:58 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,497,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Lol Said no one who ever got and paid for a red light camera ticket...ever.
Or anyone who received a parking ticket. The difference is that tickets given by a police officer are nominally criminal, while camera tickets are assessed against the vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2019, 09:54 PM

9,421 posts, read 11,170,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
My navigation unit shows the speed limit on any stretch of the road I am on so theoretically the police can know that too. Doesn't this make getting speeding tickets in the traditional way obsolete? Why should the police risk their lives by pulling people over to issue them speeding tickets? The car talks to the police and you get a text message. End of story. They wouldn't know what to do with the money.
I don't understand your comment. Doing a speeding pullover is usually routine. Though of course there is always the occasional surprise or very bad actor.

Your premise that we should have mandatory C-2-C (Car-To-Car) commo is the dream of all government control freaks. You are advocating for a 1984 police state, whether you know it or not.

Power granted is power abused. That has always been the case.

Old 05-27-2019, 10:03 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
I don't understand your comment. Doing a speeding pullover is usually routine. Though of course there is always the occasional surprise or very bad actor.

Your premise that we should have mandatory C-2-C (Car-To-Car) commo is the dream of all government control freaks. You are advocating for a 1984 police state, whether you know it or not.

Power granted is power abused. That has always been the case.
I don't disagree with you but aren't you a little late to the party? You are being bioscanned as you enter a shopping mall to spot shoplifters. Did you know that? How about license readers? Your EZPass data tracks your drives with date and time stamps. Didn't Geico start giving discounts to people who were willing to use their dashcam all the time, and many did?

Old 05-27-2019, 11:57 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
So what happens if your buddy borrows your car? Cops don’t know you’re not driving
Eventually, to operate a motor vehicle, you'll have to let a built-in scanner examine the iris of your eye, to confirm your I. D. Then, you'll have to breathe into a sensor that will determine that your breath is free of alcohol. The network into which your car is registered will check to make sure your insurance and driver's license are valid. Then, you'll be able to start and drive the vehicle. The GPS system will have a complete map of the streets and be connected to the traffic-light grid. It will know how fast you're going and if you've disobeyed any traffic regulations, signs or lights. Citations will be automatically issued if you're in violation. The sum of money you have to post as a bond to have driving privileges, will have the fines deducted and you'll be required to keep a minimum balance in the account or your vehicle won't start. I imagine many people will take up walking or bicycle-riding.

Old 05-28-2019, 12:40 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,992,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Eventually, to operate a motor vehicle, you'll have to let a built-in scanner examine the iris of your eye, to confirm your I. D. Then, you'll have to breathe into a sensor that will determine that your breath is free of alcohol. The network into which your car is registered will check to make sure your insurance and driver's license are valid. Then, you'll be able to start and drive the vehicle. The GPS system will have a complete map of the streets and be connected to the traffic-light grid. It will know how fast you're going and if you've disobeyed any traffic regulations, signs or lights. Citations will be automatically issued if you're in violation. The sum of money you have to post as a bond to have driving privileges, will have the fines deducted and you'll be required to keep a minimum balance in the account or your vehicle won't start. I imagine many people will take up walking or bicycle-riding.
No, they will take up their rifles, pistols, shotguns, and molotovs, and get rid of that BS.

Old 05-28-2019, 03:33 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times
They have to have to have a warrant to access your car’s information. They can however set up a network of fixed radars at every speed limit sign as that’s perfectly legal.

Eventually it’ll be insurance companies that limit your freedoms. You’ll get a huge insurance bill, then you’ll call to see how you can lower it. They’ll offer you an app that reports your movements to the insurance company and you’ll hand over your freedoms voluntarily.

Old 05-28-2019, 06:08 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,754,204 times
Not sure how my trucks tape player is going to talk to the cop cars

Old 05-28-2019, 06:25 AM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I don't disagree with you but aren't you a little late to the party? You are being bioscanned as you enter a shopping mall to spot shoplifters. Did you know that? How about license readers? Your EZPass data tracks your drives with date and time stamps. Didn't Geico start giving discounts to people who were willing to use their dashcam all the time, and many did?

Yes, he's late for 1984. 35 years late.

Old 05-28-2019, 06:41 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,753,651 times
Before speed limits can be enforced electronically they need to be adjusted to more realistic values, especially on highways. When 90% of drivers are disobeying a speed limit, that limit is obviously not reasonable. Police tend to give drivers a cushion before they will pull someone over. I know where I live, if the speed limit is 65 on a stretch of highway the police typically will not pull you over unless you are going more than 80. There is also the concept of going with the flow of traffic. I doubt modern AI's are able to comprehend that concept or have been programmed to do so. Without reasonable speed limit adjustments or pre-programmed cushions and flow of traffic considerations, electronic speed enforcement is not practical.

Old 05-28-2019, 09:29 AM

6,707 posts, read 5,937,576 times
The laws will have to be changed before computerized speed enforcement can work.

Arizona tried to use a computerized camera system to control speeders on the highways, and it was killed by a court challenge. Under current law, they need a human to witness the incident.

Plus the system really angered a lot of drivers. Politicians who wanted to keep their jobs quickly turned against it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive