Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 08:07 AM

4,557 posts, read 3,756,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Pretty much everyone is going to eclipse Tesla due to poor management. Tesla's only virtue is that of being the first to go whole hog, but just as Buick was the first auto manufacturer to use the OHV engine, they are far from the best, currently.

I'm not so sure - Elon Musk has things up his sleeve and smart people working with those companies. Have you heard about his other company, SpaceX, and their Starlink project? They just launched 100s of satellites in a string and will by themselves go into orbit. Definitely outside the box thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 08:17 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,764,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
I'm not so sure - Elon Musk has things up his sleeve and smart people working with those companies.
None of which has much to do with success in the auto industry. Maybe SpaceX will become the sugar daddy that keeps paying for his automotive hobby. But those are all tech-for-tech's sake companies that don't involve the massively complex manufacturing and marketing dynamics of selling cars.

As I've said before, no amount of midnight code-slinging can fix factory or road problems.

Old 05-28-2019, 08:22 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Tesla has done a nice job of creating a luxury brand that enables the affluent to virtue signal their false pretense of saving the planet, or too make themselves feel better for having a huge carbon footprint.

While Tesla may be a house of cards, that has VALUE, and therefore the brand has value. Maybe Tesla will be bought by another automaker and become their EV division. If I were Elon Musk, that's what I would position the company for.

Old 05-28-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Tesla has done a nice job of creating a luxury brand that enables the affluent to virtue signal their false pretense of saving the planet, or too make themselves feel better for having a huge carbon footprint.
I'd argue the "false" part, but you'd probably go on to argue about how they have no useful range, either.

Quote:
While Tesla may be a house of cards, that has VALUE, and therefore the brand has value. Maybe Tesla will be bought by another automaker and become their EV division. If I were Elon Musk, that's what I would position the company for.
Which is how the game is played in the tech world, oddly enough. Real success over years is never the goal; only to be the darling itty-bitty company with a prize bit of IP to get picked up for a billion or two. Further evidence that Musk has no fraggin' idea what he's doing in the auto industry.

I'd bet more on Tesla as a brand disappearing into failure of the company as it exists and breakup of the tech and IP to one or two savvy major makers. Unless it becomes a brand for shoes, handbags, sunglasses etc. - and yeah, I'm lookin' at YOU, Porsche...

Old 05-28-2019, 08:47 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
Tesla gave the industry a nice kick in the ass. Regardless of what happens and who they are eclipsed by, there will always be respect from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
Charging your electric vehicle is much faster than filling your current (I made a pun!) vehicle with gas. Depending on how far you live from the filling station, it will take you anywhere from 30 minutes to a couple of hours to drive to the station, wait in line, fill that baby up, and return home again. With the electric you pull into the garage after a long day, 10 seconds to plug er in, spent a pleasant evening with the family, go out in the morning, 2 seconds to pull the plug, and you're on the way again. Oops, did you forget to plug it in last night? No problem, many places of business are now installing electric charging stations for your convenience. I see charging stations everywhere now, and once the electric vehicle is more common, everywhere will have charging stations. The hospitals and doctor offices I visit have charging stations, most car dealers do, many public places are getting on the train, they are popping up everywhere, all of which makes fueling up much easier and more convenient that stopping by the ol' gas station. ...and...when you fill er up at a place other than your garage, the fuel is FREE..! How about them apples..??
I don't know how you can say charging electric is faster than filling up at a gas station. 30 minutes to get to a gas station? Those people better buy electric then, but for most of the population, they can find a station within 5 minutes and be out of there within 5 minutes. It's the same issue with charging your cell phone. It's never that quick and always a concern, which is why they made portable battery banks. Can't do that with cars (yet). Driving off your intended route to get to a charging station is trouble enough. At any rate, Tesla states you get about 5 miles for every 1 hour of charge on a 110v outlet. Ouch.

Quote:
Here are some examples for recharging times: With a single onboard charger plugged into a standard 110-volt outlet, Tesla says you will get 5 miles of range for every hour of charging. From zero to 300 miles would take about 52 hours at that rate. With a single onboard charger connected to a 240-volt outlet, which Tesla recommends, the pace can reach speeds up to 31 miles of range for each hour of charging, meaning a full 300-mile charge takes less than 9.5 hours.

This maximum charge rate from an outlet requires a 240-volt circuit with 40 amps of current. (Adapters allow the supplied charging cord, called a Mobile Connector, to be used with multiple 240-volt outlets [as well as 120 volts], but the charge rate is slower with lower-amp circuits at this voltage.)
As for your last point, are you sure it's always free? Because their supercharger stations do cost per kwh: https://electrek.co/2018/03/11/tesla...-supercharger/

Last edited by ovi8; 05-28-2019 at 09:02 AM..

Old 05-28-2019, 09:38 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,167,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Well, I can't answer for the military industrial complex, but I don't see hating here as much as a fairly rational viewpoint that Tesla is basically a house of cards, built on a tech industry basis, and the slow shift to electric vehicles is going to leave them behind as the majors apply all of their expertise to the market.

However, this viewpoint is made to look all sour and negative by the extreme squee of the fan base. One of the two is disconnected from reality; you decide which.

I don't own a Tesla and have no dog in the fight. I agree that criticism of their business model is certainly warranted -- pretty hard to excel at cars when you're also trying to build a space force. Besides all that legitimate criticism there are political forces being used to gin up outright hatred of Tesla vehicles. Do Chevy owners block Ford owners from using the gas pump?

Old 05-28-2019, 10:34 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,754,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I am in no way in the Petro business but Musk like Trump brings a lot of this stuff on himself. He is a megalomaniac much like Trump with a thin skin. That is why he is often referred to as the Trump of Silicon Valley.

Off the top of one's head who is running Nissan? I am sure most people have no idea. That is probably how you want the leader of a company to be. Leading the company not becoming the story even bigger than the company.
I can tell you who USED to run Nissan. He's under arrest in Japan. And he is a bigger story than the company he used to run (at least in Japan...).

Tesla? One of the big problems I see is what are they going to do for an encore? What is the next generation Model S, X etc...going to look like? They can't build the same car forever...customers will get tired of it and the real automakers will catch up soon.

Old 05-28-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
I don't own a Tesla and have no dog in the fight. I agree that criticism of their business model is certainly warranted -- pretty hard to excel at cars when you're also trying to build a space force.
That's not the limitation - different companies, different aims, just sharing their Lead Visionary, who has finally been convinced to let better business minds run Tesla.

The problem is that Musk in no way grasps the auto industry. It's one thing to turn out limited numbers of expensive specialty cars like the original Roadster; it's an entire crate of different monkey apples to try and compete across the board. It may be the single most difficult goal on earth - to start a new auto brand and make it successful above limited specialty sales. Go look up Henry Kaiser - there is absolutely no reason he should have failed in his entry to the auto market, but fail he did...and he DID know how industry works.

Musk... is a Preston Tucker of the 21st century. Everything Musk says and does indicates he's trying to run Tesla like a straight-up tech business, the Apple or Adobe of cars. Won't work. Ever. Just as you can't run a school or a hospital on tech rules, you can't build mass-market cars that way, either. As will prove out in the next few years.

Quote:
Besides all that legitimate criticism there are political forces being used to gin up outright hatred of Tesla vehicles. Do Chevy owners block Ford owners from using the gas pump?
That's not political. That's just a-holes being a-holes, which I understand passes for political activism these days.

Old 05-28-2019, 11:12 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,189,207 times
I thought from the thread title Nissan was going bankrupt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Because they make glitchy low quality products. Same reason I dont like Chrysler, Remington, or whoever else making junk.
Ugh! Remington! I bought a big old bucket of .22LR from these jokers and am currently running about 12% failure/misfire rate with this carp.

At the popular shooting area out in the boonies, the ground is littered with unfired rounds. Always Remington.

Old 05-28-2019, 11:24 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Tesla will soon be swallowed by competition. Better funded better managed companies with management who know something about producing cars, are only a short time behind Tesla. Watch for Lucid Motors to start selling Tesla competition within a year or so. However they will have a hard time as well once the big boys get into the game. GM, Ford, Toyota, Nissan, Honda are all just a step behind. The big car companies have diverted their focus to electric and self driving and they command resources that Tesla can only dream of. Already Tesla struggles to hold onto its employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive