Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 11:28 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,760,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Ugh! Remington! I bought a big old bucket of .22LR from these jokers and am currently running about 12% failure/misfire rate with this carp.
Hmm. Sounds fishy to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 12:36 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,946,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
I don't own a Tesla and have no dog in the fight. I agree that criticism of their business model is certainly warranted -- pretty hard to excel at cars when you're also trying to build a space force. Besides all that legitimate criticism there are political forces being used to gin up outright hatred of Tesla vehicles. Do Chevy owners block Ford owners from using the gas pump?
It's not hard at all. You have one company do one and another company do the other, then you don't micromanage and don't chase away your top talent.

Old 05-28-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
I'm not so sure - Elon Musk has things up his sleeve and smart people working with those companies. Have you heard about his other company, SpaceX, and their Starlink project? They just launched 100s of satellites in a string and will by themselves go into orbit. Definitely outside the box thinking.
I've heard of it. It's this one right?
https://www.space.com/spacex-crew-dr...-launches.html

https://www.floridatoday.com/story/t...-pad/89710076/

Apparently launching actual people into space has become a lost art.

Old 05-28-2019, 01:00 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,643,139 times
Other EV manufacturers have a very steep hill to climb when it comes to competing with Tesla's Supercharging network, in both ubiquity and speed. That is reason alone to strongly favor Telsa's realistic long-term viability.

Old 05-28-2019, 01:05 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,419,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Other EV manufacturers have a very steep hill to climb when it comes to competing with Tesla's Supercharging network, in both ubiquity and speed. That is reason alone to strongly favor Telsa's realistic long-term viability.
GM is to start building thousands of charging systems so there goes that theory out the window. And GM has the money to do it on a massive scale.

Old 05-28-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
1) This article is about self driving not EV’s.
2) charging stations aren’t required at all. That’s what PHEV’s are for.

Old 05-28-2019, 01:08 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,760,486 times
Quote:
Um, nonsense. For one thing, as the OP has already noted, GM's planning a huge rollout of charging stations.Tesla's network is hardly an insurmountable lead.

Tesla is an itty-bitty turtle that's had the dragstrip all to itself for... about 100 feet. Yep, they're winning so far.

Old 05-28-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
1) This article is about self driving not EV’s.
2) charging stations aren’t required at all. That’s what PHEV’s are for.
1.) I can read, thank you. The conversation veered off to Tesla's viability, which I chose to address.
2.) PHEVs (no apostrophe needed)? This conversation is about electric vehicles, i.e. those that don't rely on fossil fuels. Charging networks are critical.

Old 05-28-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Um, nonsense. For one thing, as the OP has already noted, GM's planning a huge rollout of charging stations.Tesla's network is hardly an insurmountable lead.

Tesla is an itty-bitty turtle that's had the dragstrip all to itself for... about 100 feet. Yep, they're winning so far.
"GM's planning a huge rollout". Cool. Call me when it's built and ubiquitous. Tesla's is already there and with speeds of up to 1000 miles/hr, gasoline is all but irrelevant.

Old 05-28-2019, 01:16 PM

6,736 posts, read 4,418,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post

The question is who are they going to merge with. New technology startup companies usually merge or get taken over by another company that can manage and deliver product.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive