Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 01:18 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
GM is to start building thousands of charging systems so there goes that theory out the window. And GM has the money to do it on a massive scale.
I welcome things like this which would create viable EV alternatives to Tesla. So far when it comes to designing vehicles with comparable range and performance and comparable quick charging infrastructure I’ve seen alot of talk but nothing in terms of real world results. Any time a story about this comes out there is always a caveat at the end about it being a minimum 2 years away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 02:45 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,266,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I am in no way in the Petro business but Musk like Trump brings a lot of this stuff on himself. He is a megalomaniac much like Trump with a thin skin. That is why he is often referred to as the Trump of Silicon Valley.

Off the top of one's head who is running Nissan? I am sure most people have no idea. That is probably how you want the leader of a company to be. Leading the company not becoming the story even bigger than the company. If Musk just ran things with a lower profile there would be no Tesla backlash. When Musk's name is in the news its usually not for a good reason.

All that being said I hope Tesla succeeds. As I do Nissan with its electric vehicles. I admire what Musk is trying to do, but his style leaves is another story.
LOL. The CEO of Nissan was removed, and arrested for actual corruption.

Who was Audi's CEO? I don't know, but did you know he went to jail too?

Maybe you should be more antagonistic to CEO's who are actually doing real illegal stuff instead of crying over a CEO who rubs you the wrong way.

Old 05-28-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Nissan hands free driving.

With its hands-free system, Nissan could beat Tesla at its own game
https://www.clickondetroit.com/autom...t-its-own-game
Except, it is not better, and the Tesla's currently produced have a new chipset and pre-product neural networks that will achieve more advanced assisted driving.

/Thread is useless

Old 05-28-2019, 02:50 PM

GM is putting no money into their charger buildout. Let's see how long that takes to get going.

Tesla is a "house of cards"... curiously their EV cards are the most efficient on the market, even 7 years old. The Tesla Model 3 is the best engineered EV card expert Sandy Munro has seen. Maybe you boys should actually get a little depth of knowledge and watch some of his videos.

Notice the few products from the big boys are way more expensive, and less efficient, with much worse range? The big boys are bigly behind, only you won't realize it until it's too late.

Old 05-28-2019, 03:57 PM

4,551 posts, read 3,752,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I've heard of it. It's this one right?
https://www.space.com/spacex-crew-dr...-launches.html

https://www.floridatoday.com/story/t...-pad/89710076/

Apparently launching actual people into space has become a lost art.

Well, that's why they have tests - and they are way ahead of anyone else trying to build a vehicle for man-made space travel. SpaceX is a top contender for NASA to award a contract to.

On the other hand, I agree with you about what happened to technology for space travel. The only spacecraft that can transport humans into space is the Russian made Soyuz, which is decades old (although has a very good safety record). Would just hope Russia maintains that kind of stuff correctly. We pay $70 million per seat on the Soyuz.

Old 05-28-2019, 04:12 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
I like the new Nissan and will be test driving it as a candidate for our 2nd car. A vast percentage of families do not need the ability to fuel away from home for the 2nd car - we don't commute (even when we did it was 6 miles) and everything we need is within 10 miles. A long trip would be to the Airport - 43 miles or so. The new Leaf+ will go 230 or so on a charge.

Tesla makes some amazing machines. No doubt the company is taking massive risks - and, also, no doubt that their survival is also affected by the "We Love Fossil Fuels" movement in the USA (the current administration rolled back MPG requirements, etc.).

The tariffs and threats of such are also hurting Tesla...so our own government is effectively squashing one of the largest possibilities the US has to "rule the world" of EVs.

Tesla is selling a bunch of cars. But without all these hassles and roadblocks and with good government policy and backing (like our competitors get!) they could do much better.

Sure, there will be other systems - but people have to remember that AI learns from feedback. I think it's safe to say that Tesla has at least a 100 to 1 advantage in terms of the data they are receiving and processing from their larger fleets (their new on-board computer can process even vastly more)....

So it's not a matter of GM or Nissan "catching up" in any simple fashion. Not enough data....IMHO.

Old 05-28-2019, 10:03 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
Charging your electric vehicle is much faster than filling your current (I made a pun!) vehicle with gas. Depending on how far you live from the filling station, it will take you anywhere from 30 minutes to a couple of hours to drive to the station, wait in line, fill that baby up, and return home again.
There are a half dozen gas stations within five to 10 minutes from my house. However, I don't leave my house to go fill up and then come home. I fill up while I'm out and about. Which takes less than 10 minutes of my time, total.

Old 05-29-2019, 09:04 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,213,290 times
Default Wait One Minute

Quote:
Nissan hands free driving.

With its hands-free system, Nissan could beat Tesla at its own game
https://www.clickondetroit.com/autom...t-its-own-game

The 1st manufacturer with power steering, seat belts. powered windows and door locks, better suspension, rank and pinon steering, placing a radio in a car, won out over ALL those other car makers.

Say what?

Old 05-29-2019, 09:23 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,049,490 times
Nissan's brand power has been declining for years. You can pack all of the gizmos you want in an Altima or Leaf but frankly most people won't care.

Old 05-29-2019, 09:55 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,286,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
Charging your electric vehicle is much faster than filling your current (I made a pun!) vehicle with gas. Depending on how far you live from the filling station, it will take you anywhere from 30 minutes to a couple of hours to drive to the station, wait in line, fill that baby up, and return home again. With the electric you pull into the garage after a long day, 10 seconds to plug er in, spent a pleasant evening with the family, go out in the morning, 2 seconds to pull the plug, and you're on the way again. Oops, did you forget to plug it in last night? No problem, many places of business are now installing electric charging stations for your convenience. I see charging stations everywhere now, and once the electric vehicle is more common, everywhere will have charging stations. The hospitals and doctor offices I visit have charging stations, most car dealers do, many public places are getting on the train, they are popping up everywhere, all of which makes fueling up much easier and more convenient that stopping by the ol' gas station. ...and...when you fill er up at a place other than your garage, the fuel is FREE..! How about them apples..??
And this is why these boards are down in the gutters with these EV/ICE debates.
Generally, everyone cherry picks their arguments to make a point - but the EV discussion has reached a new all time low.

I'm enjoying my EV, it's been really impressive. But 'cmon, nobody regularly spends "30 minutes to a couple of hours..." to fill up an ICE vehicle. Since you're calling yourself grumpy and old, maybe the memories of the gas crisis in the 70's is clouding your perspective. The example is flawed since 99% of the time, you are stopping off to get gas on your way to/from your destination as opposed to making a specific trip.

And yes - having an EV provides the advantage that you can "fill up" the vehicle at home. But that doesn't negate the fact that charging an EV does take much longer than filling up an ICE vehicle.

It's nice that you never have to stop at a gas stations again and can have a "full" car every morning. But when you have an ICE vehicle with its gas gauges on E and a EV with it's power at <5%. The ICE is going to be back on the road sooner. How much does that matter will depend on what the owner of car is trying to do at that moment. If your wife is having a baby... that EV is going to really ruin your day. But if you are looking to grab a bite to eat, being able to fuel up quick isn't going to make much of a difference.

There is a difference between what works better for an individual vs. a design/engineering flaw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive