Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2019, 09:21 AM

508 posts, read 527,276 times

Advertisements

Does OBD Adopter + OBD reader Apps helps to detect hidden issues?
================================================== ===

Thanks for your replies to my thread.

I did find many threads talked about OBD Adopter + OBD reader Apps to detect hidden issues in the car.

How far this can go?

What are the limitations between these apps and traditional OBD reader?

Will it help for Hybrid and non-hybrid vehicles ?

What are the issues these OBD reader cannot detect ?

Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2019, 09:25 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,639,050 times
I’ve used one when I was having an issue with one car. It didn’t show any problems on the device despite the issue. I think I figured out what it is and it eventually resolved itself. So, it can help but apparently only if it’s a problem that is sufficient to throw a code. Issues can occur that are not covered by the car’s built in sensors.

Old 05-28-2019, 08:53 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
You need software that can read trouble codes on the various modules in the vehicle. These are not usually available to a standard OBD2 reader.

For example, Ford's typically use HSCAN to run your standard OBD2 reader and read normal P codes. They use a difference set of pins for MSCAN that will allow typically Ford propriety software to read trouble codes on the various modules.

You can purchase an ELM327 OBD2 device that will allow you to switch between the two different setups and run module codes using a free software called Forscan. (www.forscan.org) So for about $15 (the cost of the ELM327) you can pull trouble codes from every module on the car, program modules, reset modules, and change as_built data on the car. For instance, if yout heated seats aren't working, the seat module may display a cushion overtemp condition and tell you which cushion is in error. These codes are not available through a typical OBD2 code reader (which is looking for engine codes) because theyt aren't designed to read from the other pins on the OBD2 vehicle interface

That's for Ford/Lincoln. Other makes may have similar products available but i don't know about those

Old 05-28-2019, 10:09 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,139,412 times
The more you spend, the more it can read. most cheap scanner can read the basic OBD2 codes, once you get $50-100, some can read Mode 6 data and other live data and $2-300 and up can read Airbag and ABS codes, reset the oil light, or program the TPS, or even get into the vehicles communication system to test the electronics.

Once above $4-500 and the right software you can read alot of info on the car.

Old 05-29-2019, 08:47 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,639,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
You need software that can read trouble codes on the various modules in the vehicle. These are not usually available to a standard OBD2 reader.

For example, Ford's typically use HSCAN to run your standard OBD2 reader and read normal P codes. They use a difference set of pins for MSCAN that will allow typically Ford propriety software to read trouble codes on the various modules.

You can purchase an ELM327 OBD2 device that will allow you to switch between the two different setups and run module codes using a free software called Forscan. (www.forscan.org) So for about $15 (the cost of the ELM327) you can pull trouble codes from every module on the car, program modules, reset modules, and change as_built data on the car. For instance, if yout heated seats aren't working, the seat module may display a cushion overtemp condition and tell you which cushion is in error. These codes are not available through a typical OBD2 code reader (which is looking for engine codes) because theyt aren't designed to read from the other pins on the OBD2 vehicle interface

That's for Ford/Lincoln. Other makes may have similar products available but i don't know about those
Good info; thanks for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive