Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 09:48 AM

978 posts, read 672,754 times

Advertisements

So, my current commute is 100 miles round trip an hour each way . I have been making this commute for almost 17 years. My current vehicle gets on average 33 MPG. Its a fairly easy commute highway mostly to the city off hours, so traffic isnt bad.

I just looked at a wear and tear calculator. Geeze! Are those accurate? It says I am spending about $7600/year for a small SUV at 15,000 miles per year. Well I do at least 25,000 miles per year. So almost double.
Am I really spending about $14,000 per year? Can someone explain this?

I can leave my job soon and collect a pension. I am just wondering if it is worth staying on the job longer to increase my pension, or is my commute eating up the difference?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2019, 09:57 AM

9,501 posts, read 4,330,439 times
A significant portion of a vehicle's operating expense is depreciation, so unless you're driving something that is fully depreciated, the calculators are probably accurate over the lifetime of the car. If the car is more than a few years old, depreciation is less of a factor, so it's costing you much less per mile than the calculators indicate.

Old 05-27-2019, 10:10 AM

978 posts, read 672,754 times
I see. Well It is new or was when I got it in 2018. As was my prior commuter car (small toyota). back in 06'.
I drive my cars into the ground. The toyota went well until 360,000 miles !

Old 05-27-2019, 01:54 PM

21,821 posts, read 25,094,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead123 View Post
So, my current commute is 100 miles round trip an hour each way . I have been making this commute for almost 17 years. My current vehicle gets on average 33 MPG. Its a fairly easy commute highway mostly to the city off hours, so traffic isnt bad.

I just looked at a wear and tear calculator. Geeze! Are those accurate? It says I am spending about $7600/year for a small SUV at 15,000 miles per year. Well I do at least 25,000 miles per year. So almost double.

I can leave my job soon and collect a pension. I am just wondering if it is worth staying on the job longer to increase my pension, or is my commute eating up the difference?

Thanks
Pretty typical for AAA type calculations. Those are based off buying new and trading in every five years so heavy depreciation hit.

It's a strange question to ask though. Nobody knows if you bought the car used or new, the interest rate on your loan, what your insurance costs, what the repair history is, how long you intend on keeping the vehicle... well, actually you know all those things.

Old 05-27-2019, 02:23 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,570,971 times
Quote:

Thanks
It is probably somewhat lower than that, but not by a whole lot. Insurance costs don’t increase that much with the added mileage, and only part of the depreciation is mileage-based ( the rest is age-based).

Realistically, your total cost of ownership is probably $11k -$12k per year, and the annual marginal cost of your commute is somewhere in the range of $6k-$8k. You probably have to earn an extra $8k- $10k of pre-tax income to break even with the commute. If you are getting a lot of take-out food or spending on dry cleaning, the total cost of working could be a bit higher. As a rough estimate you need to make at least an extra $10k of pre-tax income just to break even.

Old 05-27-2019, 03:01 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
Quote:

Thanks
How old is the car? Payments? Maintenance?

I had a 120 mile commute (round trip)
My basic costs were a minimum $100 a week. That was strictly fuel and parking fees.
Oil changes every two months.
Trans drain and fill every 6 months
Tires every 18/20 months
Brakes once every 2 years
Spread out I was spending about 160 a week to get to work. Most of my costs were fuel and parking as i diy my own vehicle work it’s basically parts only costs.
This doesn’t include breakdowns.

I joined a vanpool and my costs are fixed $200 a month. My drive distance is 20 miles round trip. My oil changes dropped to twice a year. I really can wait for once a year but that’s ok.

If you’re adding depreciation your costs are gonna be through the roof. You can’t really count it as a expense.

Old 05-27-2019, 04:08 PM

12,358 posts, read 9,462,379 times
For 2019, the IRS allows accounting for deductible vehicle mileage at $0.58/mile, which is even a higher estimate. We tend to look at the costs that we actually pay immediately, which would be gas cost... but a fuller accounting would be:
- fuel (gasoline) expenses
- maintenance & repair costs (summed over considerable time and then averaged per mile)
- vehicle depreciation (loss in resale value when miles are added to vehicle)

I also *feel like* driving is cheap - because the immediate, out of pocket expense is low, but I take these estimates seriously and think they are real. Of course, the above assumes your vehicle is "average", whatever that means. You can do a lot better on these costs if you're driving a Toyota Camry that you bought 3 years old for $18K and gets 36mpg and rarely goes in the shop, than if you're driving a Dodge Ram pickup that you bought new for $40K, gets 18mpg and visits the shop twice as often.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 05-27-2019 at 04:16 PM..

Old 05-27-2019, 04:39 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,305,920 times
Well, let's do some arithmetic

100 miles/day x 250 work days/year = 25,000 miles/year. Let's make it 30,000 to account for some other driving. With reasonable maintenance and intelligent selection of a vehicle you ought to be able to get 180,000 miles, so 6 years. If the car cost you $25,000 that's basically $4000/year in depreciation.

33 miles per gallon at $3.30 per gallon would be $0.10/gallon fuel or $3000/year fuel cost. Add in the cost of periodic maintenance (tires, brake pads, and so on) and I'd guess another $1000/yr. So my rough guess would be that your car could be assessed at costing you on the order of $8000 per year, depending primarily on how long you keep it and what gas prices are like in your area.

Adjust these numbers based on your own experience and you will be able to estimate your cost per year.

Old 05-27-2019, 05:10 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,894,530 times
I suppose most drivers ignore everything but gas. But there are repairs, increased insurance, tires, etc. if you borrow money every time you change cars, there is also interest. But the story has another twist. If, for example, your pension goes up by $10 per month $120 per year, that's $2400 over 20 years. Likely that's well over your monthly driving cost, so you may want to keep working!

Old 05-27-2019, 05:59 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,959,833 times
taxes and fees: straw breaks camel's back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive