Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 08:09 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Yes, in the old days. Batteries then weren't insulated very well. Damp concrete conducts electricity, so the battery would slowly discharge itself.
I call BS. This sounds like an echo of the garage-urban-legend, with as much truth.

I know old tech. If the case didn't leak, there's nothing you could set it on to cause any kind of degradation. If you're talking about some kind of breakdown, leakage or failure over time, it would happen on glass, concrete, metal and old soapboxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 08:36 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,061,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I call BS. This sounds like an echo of the garage-urban-legend, with as much truth.

I know old tech. If the case didn't leak, there's nothing you could set it on to cause any kind of degradation. If you're talking about some kind of breakdown, leakage or failure over time, it would happen on glass, concrete, metal and old soapboxes.
From almost 20 years ago...

https://www.cartalk.com/content/busi...loors-needs-be
RAY: Thirty years ago or so, most battery casings were made of hard rubber. And because of the porosity of that material, battery acid would sometimes seep through
the rubber and create a conductive path through the damp concrete, draining the battery.
Plenty of other references to the same theory.

Old 05-28-2019, 09:19 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,698,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbelt57 View Post
Maybe I should've asked this on Quora, but:

I've always heard concrete floors are bad for batteries, but I was wondering if it's just because, more often than not, the concrete floor is cold and cold is bad for batteries. Or is there something magical about concrete that sucks the electrons out of the batteries?

An old wives tale. I have 3 or 4 sitting on my shop floor, and they hold a charge just as they would if they were not on the concrete.

This myth has been debunked many times but some people still want to believe it.

Old 05-28-2019, 10:13 PM

Anecdotal evidence from Car Talk isn't really, you know, evidence. If battery contents leaks out while it's sitting around, that's one thing, but the surface it's sitting on would make no difference. If what they claim is the case, then batteries sitting on metal shelves and the like would have drained even faster.

And any garage that had a damp floor would have a lot of other automotive issues.

We had old Autolites sitting on shelves and garage floors for years, and I don't remember the slightest sign that they leaked.

Old 05-29-2019, 03:03 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
It's hard to set a battery down gently, so maybe there is a greater risk of cracking or damaging the battery by impact with an unyielding surface, eg., concrete..

Old 05-29-2019, 03:28 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
If I have a car, tractor, or airplane battery that I know is going to sit for a while, I put a trickle charger on it. They aren't expensive, and it is nice to know things are going to start again when you need them.

Old 05-29-2019, 01:44 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
If I have a car, tractor, or airplane battery that I know is going to sit for a while, I put a trickle charger on it. They aren't expensive, and it is nice to know things are going to start again when you need them.
If you put a trickle charger on a concrete floor will...?

Old 05-29-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Yep. Even better - if this isn't what you meant - is a "battery minder." It only charges a little, when needed, rather than keeping a continual charge on a battery, which is not good over a long time. Mine keeps the summer car ready for May.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
If you put a trickle charger on a concrete floor will...?
...suck all the power out of every Tesla Supercharger station for a 10-mile radius. S'true. An old electrician said it once to the host of This Old House.

Old 05-29-2019, 08:08 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,419,665 times
I moved a new battery leaving it on the floor at costco. I was quickly told NOT to do that as it would ruin the new battery,,,,,,whatever??? as I know better and excessive heat is the number one battery killer not cold...go figure

Old 05-29-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
I moved a new battery leaving it on the floor at costco. I was quickly told NOT to do that as it would ruin the new battery,,,
Ya gotta be fuggin' kiddin' me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive