U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 01:01 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,982,521 times

Advertisements

It appears the 2019 Toyota Camry (XLE and XLS models only) is still available with a CD player.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 09:00 PM

873 posts, read 860,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It's easy enough to copy music from CDs to flash drives that will play on the newer cars, but then you need to have a computer with a CD drive. For most of us the small laptops or tablets no longer have a CD drive. Fortunately my 2017 F150 has a CD drive (and a full sized spare).
I believe you can buy external USB CD/DVD drives pretty inexpensively for computers that don't have one built in.

Based on how short this list is, it sounds like my next car just might be my first one that doesn't have a CD player in it..

Old 05-30-2019, 09:45 PM

30,426 posts, read 36,829,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
My 02 F150 has a 6 disc changer and a tape deck! Imagine that a tape deck !

When we bought our 2017 Grand Cherokee my wife and I looked all over for the cd slot but guess what, that is one of the cars that deleted it.

It is odd that some of the cars the OP listed are upmarket cars like Mercedes, Acura and BMW. I wonder if that has anything to do with the typical client that buys those cars are older with more daily responsibilities and they don't have the time or the know how to convert their CD's onto a flash drive.

Then again with satellite radio one can listen to pretty much anything you want.
LOL! I'm older. I have been in IT all my life. And I have more flash drives than I have fingers. I also have several Sansa clips that I use for listening to my own music at the gym (I don't like to carry a phone and I generally don't care much for streaming music). In the car, I really prefer to play my CDs. They sound so much better than mp3 files. For audiophiles, CDs rule in the car. If I wind up with a car without a player, I'll have one installed.
(I'd never pay for satellite radio.)

Old 05-30-2019, 09:47 PM

30,426 posts, read 36,829,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightoficarus87 View Post
I believe you can buy external USB CD/DVD drives pretty inexpensively for computers that don't have one built in.
Yup. I bought one for my new laptop.

Old 05-31-2019, 01:02 AM

1,012 posts, read 844,429 times
2019 Dodge Journey still has a CD player.

Old 06-02-2019, 03:06 PM

6,276 posts, read 4,622,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post
2019 Dodge Journey still has a CD player.
It's also an 11-year-old design from Chrysler that was poorly reviewed when new. Me and my dad had a 2009 Journey as a rental in July 2009. Playskool grade plastic on the interior, uncomfortable seats, and rattles. The SUV had just been built in March, it should have still felt rock solid in July. I was 16 at the time and could tell it wasn't a quality vehicle. And this same body style is still being sold new for 2019.

As for the CD player, my mom got an aftermarket CD player for her 1984 Lincoln Town Car in 1997. They still sell aftermarket CD players, but now they're generally used on the newer cars!

Old 06-02-2019, 03:22 PM

33,415 posts, read 29,557,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It's easy enough to copy music from CDs to flash drives that will play on the newer cars, but then you need to have a computer with a CD drive. For most of us the small laptops or tablets no longer have a CD drive. Fortunately my 2017 F150 has a CD drive (and a full sized spare).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightoficarus87 View Post

Based on how short this list is, it sounds like my next car just might be my first one that doesn't have a CD player in it..

F is right, i use an external dvd drive on my laptop. i paid something like $30 for it. i do have an older laptop that i am repurposing for use as a linux computer that has a built in drive though.

Old 06-04-2019, 11:45 AM

12,253 posts, read 13,543,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
In the car, I really prefer to play my CDs. They sound so much better than mp3 files. )
Agreed. I still listen to CD's in my car even though I can just as easily stream from my phone via Bluetooth or USB cable to an mp3 player.

Plus some artists avoid digital releases. Tool's next album due in Aug is CD/Vinyl only. I know I can rip it to digital...but i'm looking forward to buying a CD and playing it on the CD player in my car.

Old 06-04-2019, 11:07 PM

16,323 posts, read 18,269,571 times
I'm frustrated by the lack of cars with 8-track players. I can't find any.

Old 06-04-2019, 11:16 PM

16,323 posts, read 18,269,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Agreed. I still listen to CD's in my car even though I can just as easily stream from my phone via Bluetooth or USB cable to an mp3 player.

Plus some artists avoid digital releases. Tool's next album due in Aug is CD/Vinyl only. I know I can rip it to digital...but i'm looking forward to buying a CD and playing it on the CD player in my car.
FYI a CD is digital. All of Tools albums are readily available in digital format.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive