U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 08:59 AM

1,922 posts, read 561,081 times

Advertisements

So you have 3000 cds and you like to play them in the car. Where do you store all your CDs in your car where they are easy to get at? And if you don't carry ALL of your CDs, what if you're driving and want to listen to one of them that you didn't bring along? And if it's raining and you have a car with the trunk mounted CD changer, do you get out, rummage around your CD collection for the one you want, stick it in the changer and then start playing it after getting soaking wet? Been there, done that. I had a mobile sleeve that carried a couple dozen CDs, but I still didn't have all that I wanted sometimes. And the BMW's CD changer was in the trunk. Not real convenient to change out CDs while driving around.

And you think this is all the better choice to listen in a car where the listening environment isn't all that great to start with?

I'm a musician and used to build competition stereo systems, and to be honest, high quality rips from CD or LPs are just fine in the car, considering I don't listen to them at concert volume levels anymore. And my phone, with Siri, can play any playlist I want, or individual songs or artists, all with voice command from the driver's seat. I don't have to carry around 3000 CDs anymore to get the song I want when I want it. Count me as one that doesn't miss the CD player any more than the cassette deck or 8 track.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2020, 01:26 PM

11,319 posts, read 6,911,033 times
Buying cars with CD players, and manual shift will soon be out to out to pasture.

Old 03-18-2021, 11:17 AM

30,873 posts, read 37,191,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
So you have 3000 cds and you like to play them in the car. Where do you store all your CDs in your car where they are easy to get at? And if you don't carry ALL of your CDs, what if you're driving and want to listen to one of them that you didn't bring along? And if it's raining and you have a car with the trunk mounted CD changer, do you get out, rummage around your CD collection for the one you want, stick it in the changer and then start playing it after getting soaking wet? Been there, done that. I had a mobile sleeve that carried a couple dozen CDs, but I still didn't have all that I wanted sometimes. And the BMW's CD changer was in the trunk. Not real convenient to change out CDs while driving around.

And you think this is all the better choice to listen in a car where the listening environment isn't all that great to start with?

I'm a musician and used to build competition stereo systems, and to be honest, high quality rips from CD or LPs are just fine in the car, considering I don't listen to them at concert volume levels anymore. And my phone, with Siri, can play any playlist I want, or individual songs or artists, all with voice command from the driver's seat. I don't have to carry around 3000 CDs anymore to get the song I want when I want it. Count me as one that doesn't miss the CD player any more than the cassette deck or 8 track.
I would pick out seven or eight to carry around for a while. Obviously I have no need of listening to all of my CDs at the same time. How do you think anyone ever listened to a CD in their car...having say, 300 at home to choose from? Sheesh.

Old 03-18-2021, 02:25 PM

1,922 posts, read 561,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I would pick out seven or eight to carry around for a while. Obviously I have no need of listening to all of my CDs at the same time. How do you think anyone ever listened to a CD in their car...having say, 300 at home to choose from? Sheesh.
And that's the point. I can listen to ANY of them I want to, at ANY time, without having to rummage around for one.

How do you choose which 7 or 8 to listen to? Do you have a routine that you go through before most drives that includes sitting down with your collection and picking out which ones you MIGHT want to listen to? Do you end up just leaving the ones you chose in the car and switching on the radio anyhow?

How is that better than having your entire library of songs at your fingertips in a neat, easy to carry device that you never have to do ANY of that with?

How do I think anyone listened to a CD in their car before? Exactly as I said: never having exactly what you want, or a mess of CDs all over the car, or getting wet when getting out in the rain to change CDs in the factory CD changer in the trunk. The same question could be said about any modern technology going back to indoor plumbing. I mean how did we use the bathroom before that? Outhouses? Public baths? Did you eschew indoor plumbing in your house because outhouses worked for centuries before that? Think about your new shed and the lighting. Why didn't you just use candles or even a hurricane lamp? Those worked in barns and sheds for hundreds of years before electric lights became more convenient.

Old 03-18-2021, 04:03 PM

19,209 posts, read 12,291,735 times
I never understood why the minidisc never caught on in America. It was the superior format compared to music CD. It was all over asia and it would have been much more beneficial in a car.

The point is that Americans in general are just not good with technology, the better technology never wins because people who been persuaded to use an inferior tech would never change.

Same with beta vs VHS, laserdisc vs DVD.

People will always pick inferior tech no matter how many superior options are there.

Old 03-19-2021, 05:43 AM

655 posts, read 620,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I never understood why the minidisc never caught on in America. It was the superior format compared to music CD. It was all over asia and it would have been much more beneficial in a car.

The point is that Americans in general are just not good with technology, the better technology never wins because people who been persuaded to use an inferior tech would never change.

Same with beta vs VHS, laserdisc vs DVD.

People will always pick inferior tech no matter how many superior options are there.

I'm with ya. I always hated how easily CDs could get scratched up and ruined. The minidisc solved this problem by hiding the disc inside of a plastic case. If I remember correctly, you could also record onto them if you had the right equipment, before "burning CD's" became a common ability.

I'm pretty sure the answer as to why they never caught on is the same reason betamax never caught on. Something to do with Sony trying to hold everybody hostage over the rights to the technology.

Old 03-19-2021, 05:53 AM

4,575 posts, read 2,084,189 times
Music streaming is the big thing, stored MP3 files on your cell phone are passe' but they still aren't such a bad way to go, but CDs are just obsolete. It's just such a bulky storage medium that you can't keep much accessible at one time, they are easily scratched, the collection can't be easily searched and you can't readily mix and match tracks to form a playlist...

Even if your CD collection is huge, you can have that entire thing, catalogued and at your fingertips on the cell phone that you are already carrying around in your pocket... or, you can purchase the songs but leave the files up in the cloud if you like, or, you can just purchase rights to temporary access to the tracks - really any of these latter options that doesn't rely on possession of bulky, fragile physical media is far preferable.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 03-19-2021 at 06:13 AM..

Old 03-19-2021, 06:19 AM

263 posts, read 60,202 times
I can't drive anymore after my last accident but when I could, don't like taking my eyes off the road to fiddle with a playlist on the phone or for that matter, touchscreens in the dashboard. Yeah there's Alexa or Siri but getting things right is like arguing with your wife. I've got a few folders which hold enough for a good road trip and I'd rather grab a folder of CD"s and go than scroll through a list and have Siri tell me "I can't seem to find that now" & "That's not very nice."

Old 03-19-2021, 08:27 AM

17,777 posts, read 23,353,713 times
Lexus

Old 03-19-2021, 09:38 AM

19,209 posts, read 12,291,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
I'm with ya. I always hated how easily CDs could get scratched up and ruined. The minidisc solved this problem by hiding the disc inside of a plastic case. If I remember correctly, you could also record onto them if you had the right equipment, before "burning CD's" became a common ability.

I'm pretty sure the answer as to why they never caught on is the same reason betamax never caught on. Something to do with Sony trying to hold everybody hostage over the rights to the technology.
Sony was the major backer of the minidisc. It had the ability to record, it wasn't CD quality because it was slightly compressed but it was so much better than CDs.

I had hundreds of minidiscs and I even purchased minidisc from labels. It was easy to store and playback you can't scratch it or damage it as easy as CDs.

The reason I think it didn't go well because it had recording capability and the media companies in America did not like that. And CD recording capability was expensive at the time but eventually miniDisc never took off because burning CDs became so cheap.

MiniDisc was still better because it was eraseable and highly portable. It's another case of why Americans never adopt the superior format or technology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive