U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2021, 06:38 AM

2,449 posts, read 766,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
I can't drive anymore after my last accident but when I could, I don't like taking my eyes off the road to fiddle with a playlist on the phone or for that matter, touchscreens in the dashboard. Yeah there's Alexa or Siri but getting things right is like arguing with your wife. I've got a few folders which hold enough for a good road trip and I'd rather grab a folder of CD"s and go than scroll through a list and have Siri tell me "I can't seem to find that now" & "That's not very nice."
Good point!!

Obviously, this discussion has been going on for quite a while, and I'm getting into it a little "late". However, after reading through some of the earlier replies, I think that yours, above, pretty well sums things up. Yes, I have a Sirius XM subscription for my Jeep GC, and it's what I listen to most of the time, while I'm ratting around town. But for "road tripping", I also bring along 6-8 CDs, and they're kept in a "pocket" that's built into the door panel.

In this Jeep, a 2015 GC, the CD player is located in the console's glove compartment, which I'll admit, is not the most convenient. However, when you have 60-70 minutes of music available, it isn't that big of a deal...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2021, 08:44 AM

19,894 posts, read 13,396,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
I can't drive anymore after my last accident but when I could, don't like taking my eyes off the road to fiddle with a playlist on the phone or for that matter, touchscreens in the dashboard. Yeah there's Alexa or Siri but getting things right is like arguing with your wife. I've got a few folders which hold enough for a good road trip and I'd rather grab a folder of CD"s and go than scroll through a list and have Siri tell me "I can't seem to find that now" & "That's not very nice."
Having CDs and playlists are the same. Different methods. You still need to control music tracks. It's all about understanding the methodologies.

For example Spotify is just so much superior because they use algorithms to suggest and play music that is relevant to your taste.

So why bother messing with the playlist or CDs and let Spotify or music apps play a random generated playlist for you.

Old 03-20-2021, 09:40 AM

18,084 posts, read 37,016,573 times
I don't use the CD players in my vehicles very often, but it's one of those things that's nice to have when I decide to use it. I don't have a ton of CDs, maybe 50 or so. Occasionally if I'm going for a longer drive, I'll grab one I haven't listened to in awhile and take it with me.

I just don't like having a lot of stuff stored on my phone, I have enough crap on there already. CDs are just easier for me, I can use the up/down buttons on the steering wheel to change tracks, no need to mess around with my phone.

Old 03-20-2021, 09:43 AM

18,084 posts, read 37,016,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Having CDs and playlists are the same. Different methods. You still need to control music tracks. It's all about understanding the methodologies.

For example Spotify is just so much superior because they use algorithms to suggest and play music that is relevant to your taste.

So why bother messing with the playlist or CDs and let Spotify or music apps play a random generated playlist for you.
I haven't used Spotify in several years, but I do use Pandora. I use the free version though, so I can only skip so many times before I'm forced to listen to a song I hate. I don't love it enough to pay for it.

Old 03-20-2021, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Not really............you slide a CD into the player, and you potentially have 90 minutes of interrupted music.

Old 03-20-2021, 02:05 PM

1,446 posts, read 392,150 times
Quote:

I don't like to touch screen controls. Having to flip through climate and navigation menus to get to what I want is needlessly complicating something. I like these streaming services better than CDs, I don't like it built into my vehicle I want to be able to have the choice.

Old 03-20-2021, 02:39 PM

13,229 posts, read 11,106,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I don't use the CD players in my vehicles very often, but it's one of those things that's nice to have when I decide to use it. I don't have a ton of CDs, maybe 50 or so. Occasionally if I'm going for a longer drive, I'll grab one I haven't listened to in awhile and take it with me.

I just don't like having a lot of stuff stored on my phone, I have enough crap on there already. CDs are just easier for me, I can use the up/down buttons on the steering wheel to change tracks, no need to mess around with my phone.
You can use a thumb drive for music.

Old 03-20-2021, 04:21 PM

13,063 posts, read 23,454,705 times
Old school people that just want to have a radio and c/d's in their car (and don't have a smartphone) are screwed?

Old 03-20-2021, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Old school people that just want to have a radio and c/d's in their car (and don't have a smartphone) are screwed?
Of course, we will be, over time. Look what happened to 8 track tapes/players, followed by cassette tapes/players......

Old 03-20-2021, 07:21 PM

5,496 posts, read 2,862,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Of course, we will be, over time. Look what happened to 8 track tapes/players, followed by cassette tapes/players......
Yep. These devices cost money, and they also take up valuable interior space that can otherwise be used for something else that most customers will value more. So automakers need to do a calculation as to how many customers prefer the CD player versus prefer something else (like a bigger digital screen, an inductive cell phone charger, whatever)... and as time goes on, fewer and fewer customers will prefer the outmoded audio tech.

I would guess that the vehicles that still offer CD players are themselves ones that would be preferred mostly by older buyers. If the average age of buyers for a vehicle is 25, or even 45, I don't think there will be many customers who will be clamoring for a CD player instead of other tech and comfort devices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive