Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 01:15 PM

3,730 posts, read 1,765,029 times

Advertisements

I’m in the market of purchasing a new vehicle and don’t want to be taken advantage from some shyster car salesman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2019, 01:22 PM

2,258 posts, read 1,136,150 times
You have to do research on how to deal with the salesman. Laziness will get you ripped off no matter what the websites tell you.

Old 06-02-2019, 01:42 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Stop worrying about dealer costs. You won't get true numbers. Just decide how much you want to pay and find the right dealer who will make the deal.

Old 06-02-2019, 04:05 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
You have to do research on how to deal with the salesman. Laziness will get you ripped off no matter what the websites tell you.
Absolutely correct.

There is no 'cheat sheet' out there. One has to do their homework. Yes, there are all sorts of resources to utilize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Stop worrying about dealer costs. You won't get true numbers. Just decide how much you want to pay and find the right dealer who will make the deal.

There are all sorts of manufacturer and dealer incentives that may or may not be available on any web site or resource.

There is invoice price, dealer cost, salespeople incentives, sales managers incentives, 3% holdback and on and on. One may never find out all of the information. Farm Bureau, AAA, AARP, College Graduate, and on and on.

Shop around. Get prices. Some do this on the web while others do this the old fashioned way by actually visiting a dealership.

Some braggarts will chime in and state that they always get the best price. God Bless Them.

Old 06-02-2019, 05:00 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
You can get 30% off some vehicles and some you can't much at all.
A lot depends on how popular it is and what incentives you qualify for.
Color, odd optioning and the length of time they've had it can affect the price.

My last new car purchase was affected by a scandal that had nothing to do with the car I bought.

Old 06-02-2019, 05:38 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
I’m in the market of purchasing a new vehicle and don’t want to be taken advantage from some shyster car salesman.
IMO when buying a new vehicle...

1. First, do your research and select a vehicle that is well designed and mechanically reliable.

2. Buy that car used. Never buy a brand new car or truck, because no matter what the discount is, as soon as you drive that car off the lot, you will be tremendously backwards on your car loan.

3. And no matter how much you pay for a new car, a difference of $500 isn't going to make that much of a difference in your monthly car loan payments.

4. And no matter how cheap you think you bought that new car for, the dealership will stick it to you every time you go into their service area for maintenance and repair work.

I was in sales at a Honda dealership in 1995 and sold myself a used 1994 Civic Si hatchback that was bought by my dealership at auction. It already had 24K miles on it. I paid $12.5K for that car. And I think that I really won on that deal.

1. It was extremely reliable and fun to drive. I got 200K miles out of the original brake pads and rotors.

2. I took out the passenger seats and would go on road trips doing antique shows. So it became a working vehicle for me.

3. I drove that car for 21 years and racked up 435K miles on the odometer.

That car was so full of win.

Currently I drive a $1500 2003 Civic Si hatchback. I bought it three years ago with 200K miles on it. It now has over 260K miles on it. More win for me!!! Honda makes a great car.

I will never ever buy a brand new car ever. Why throw away the money?

Anyway, with a brand new car purchase, don't get sucked into looking for the best deal. Instead, do your research and find yourself a decent vehicle fresh off a lease, or better yet a private party sale.

1. If you don't trust a used car, then don't buy that car new.
2. Find yourself a good, honest independent mechanic and listen to their advice on buying a good used car.
3. It's okay to buy a used car and spend a little money to make it right. People sell their cars when they need some sort of repair on their car, like a brake job. They are bored with their car and feel like something different to drive.
4. Whatever car you decide to buy, never go to a dealership for service.

Old 06-02-2019, 09:03 PM

21,829 posts, read 25,102,289 times
None.

Best source is generally forum dedicated to that particular model which often have threads on new purchase details and what others are paying.

Old 06-02-2019, 10:07 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
The absolutely first thing to remember is not to talk about what you want your monthly payment to be. Negotiate the very best price you can for the vehicle whether it is new or used; only then should you figure out how to pay for it. Check with at least one bank and one credit union before even beginning to shop for the car to see what terms they will offer you and use that knowledge to compare to what the dealership will offer in financing.

Slow down anyone at the dealership trying to get you to agree to anything until you understand completely what they are charging you for. That includes all fees and charges they may be adding to the cost of the vehicle for anything.

Old 06-03-2019, 03:16 AM

3,497 posts, read 2,656,817 times
You could go thru your credit union or even Costco to get a reasonable price on a new car.

Old 06-03-2019, 03:26 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
How does one decide what to pay? If a car is 20k and I want to pay 10k, how long should I search for such a dealer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive