Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2019, 03:35 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I see a small number of the VW Amorok on the streets in Germany. They are 4 door with a short bed only, maybe 5' long. They have a couple of diesel options for now, but VW got hit hard over the diesel scandal. I am thinking they are looking at how to get rid of diesel in much of their fleet sooner rather than later.

In Europe, vans of all sizes are most common for work and recreation vehicles. Go to a construction site and it's all about vans, no pickups. I see more pickups in rural farm and forest areas, where the open bed is more useful than a van for many purposes.
When I was in Frankfurt Germany recently, I was surprised at the number of variations of Sprinters/Transits/Movanos. Panel vans, box trucks, cabs with drop sides, fixed sides, stake bodies, and dump bodies. I know our pickups do the same thing but would anyone tart one up like an F350 Platinum King Ranch?

Old 06-05-2019, 03:41 PM

23,563 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
I’m just stating facts if compact pickups were so popular why did people stop buying them. If people bought them then they would still be making them but the fact is that people weren’t buying them and that’s why they quit making them. So we’re were all you compact pickup truck lovers at when they still made the Old Ranger and S-10 why didn’t more of you compact truck lovers keep buying them.its simple people were not buying them so why build something that doesn’t sell.
Several reasons. Biggest 2:

1. Both were old designs that had fallen behind in safety standards and customer expectations.

2. Improved mileage of full sized trucks, left diminished advantage of the compacts in that regard. Had they built a modernized version of the S10s and Rangers (and without bloating the dimensions to mid sized), they would no doubt widen the mpg gap as well as the MSRP gap. I hope some day we'll find out.

Old 06-05-2019, 04:29 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post
Every once and a while I stop by Ford and look at the new Ranger. Says are slow. Yea, the only ones I see on the lot are 4 doors with an almost 40K price tag.

If Ford built a basic Ranger for 25K I would already have one.
Theoretically they do. The MSRP for a base 2019 Ranger XL Supercab (which still includes A/C & automatic, as well as the same Ecoboost engine as the higher-grade trims) is listed at $24,300 according to Ford's website.

Of course, very doubtful you're going to find one of those base stripped-down Rangers in any dealer's stock. Possible exceptions would be some of the larger dealers that have a separate fleet sales lot, where you often see rows upon rows of base-trim pickups & vans, usually all in white color. Or perhaps one of those dealers that likes to advertise a stripped-down base-model loss-leader vehicle in the newspaper at a low price (one only at this price!), knowing that very few retail customers would be interested in buying such a vehicle once they actually see it, and will end up driving out in a higher-priced better equipped vehicle (sort of a bait & switch?).

You might have to check into placing a factory order for base Ranger.

Old 06-05-2019, 04:56 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Several reasons. Biggest 2:

1. Both were old designs that had fallen behind in safety standards and customer expectations.

2. Improved mileage of full sized trucks, left diminished advantage of the compacts in that regard. Had they built a modernized version of the S10s and Rangers (and without bloating the dimensions to mid sized), they would no doubt widen the mpg gap as well as the MSRP gap. I hope some day we'll find out.
But why would they modernize the S10 and Ranger when a full-size pickup can come close to the same mpg. Also most people who buy a pickup want something that can tow and haul things. You can haul and tow more with a full-size pickup. There has to be a reason that the F series pickups are the best selling vehicle in America even when they were selling the old Ranger and s10. Sorry but automakers are in business to make what people want not to a small segment that doesn’t really make them money. People want roomy interiors my x wife’s 2008 Ranger was so small i couldn’t get my legs in without a struggle. My F150 FX 4 no problem had plenty of leg room and head room and could take it off road when i wanted to.

Old 06-05-2019, 05:10 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Per the EPA, your 93 Nissan (4 cylinder Manual) gets 21/25. The 2019 Ford F150 4WD with the 2.7 Ecoboost gets 19/24. It hardly a gas hog.....

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find...10221&id=41028
While true, one would hope for better mileage after 25 years. Not worse even if not a lot.

Old 06-05-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
But why would they modernize the S10 and Ranger when a full-size pickup can come close to the same mpg. Also most people who buy a pickup want something that can tow and haul things. You can haul and tow more with a full-size pickup. There has to be a reason that the F series pickups are the best selling vehicle in America even when they were selling the old Ranger and s10. Sorry but automakers are in business to make what people want not to a small segment that doesn’t really make them money. People want roomy interiors my x wife’s 2008 Ranger was so small i couldn’t get my legs in without a struggle. My F150 FX 4 no problem had plenty of leg room and head room and could take it off road when i wanted to.
But that's the whole point, and I don't know what's so difficult to understand. With today's engineering, a truck that size could be produced to achieve SIGNIFICANTLY better mileage than even the 2.7 Eco. If I want high payload and towing power I am getting a half ton or greater, but the vast majority of truck buyers do not. Nor does a pickup need to go 0-60 in under 7 seconds. Some of the Rangers were totally off-road capable, so were the Tacomas. Bottom line is if there was a market for them for 30 years, there is a market for them today.

Old 06-05-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
But that's the whole point, and I don't know what's so difficult to understand. With today's engineering, a truck that size could be produced to achieve SIGNIFICANTLY better mileage than even the 2.7 Eco. If I want high payload and towing power I am getting a half ton or greater, but the vast majority of truck buyers do not. Nor does a pickup need to go 0-60 in under 7 seconds. Some of the Rangers were totally off-road capable, so were the Tacomas. Bottom line is if there was a market for them for 30 years, there is a market for them today.
Maybe but the Detroit automakers don’t think so and they are the ones who have the final say.

Old 06-05-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Maybe but the Detroit automakers don’t think so and they are the ones who have the final say.
Hopefully you are right. But as we know, they haven't always made the smartest moves (unfortunately).

Old 06-05-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Hopefully you are right. But as we know, they haven't always made the smartest moves (unfortunately).
Well the old Ford Ranger has been gone since 2011 and Ford still seems to be King of the pickups in the USA . The end of the original Ranger did not hurt Fords profits.

Old 06-05-2019, 07:55 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
While true, one would hope for better mileage after 25 years. Not worse even if not a lot.
IMHO, the mileage the current Ford offers is exceptional. It's 4' longer, carries more passengers and cargo, tows more, weighs 1.5 tons more, offers amazing safety and technological features, and has 170+ more HP.

The current Frontier gets 19/23 - barely better than the F150.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive