Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 06:29 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
He says a lease wont be approved but I may be approved for financing. And of course he comes up with a number for 7 years loan where I would have been paying 1.5 times the vehicle over the course of time.
If your credit is that bad and you can only afford the monthly payments over a 7 year period, then IMO you are looking at vehicles that are several times more than you can afford to drive.

How much cash can you save up? Go find a credit union and talk to them about how much used car you can afford to buy. And start looking at used Japanese cars. My husband and I only buy and own used Japanese vehicles. My husband and his buddies are all very happy with their used Toyota 4Runners. I'm a huge fan of Honda Civic hatchbacks. I've driven a $1500 Civic for three years now. Bought when it had 200K miles on the odometer, currently at 260K miles.

And in the meantime, work to improve your credit rating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 06:45 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
If your credit is that bad you cannot afford to buy or lease a car.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:47 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,140,087 times
Quote:
He says a lease wont be approved but I may be approved for financing. And of course he comes up with a number for 7 years loan where I would have been paying 1.5 times the vehicle over the course of time.
Please take the advice of those on here. If the best you can do is 15% over 84 months, a brand new car should not be in your financial equation.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:14 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Car shopping time and I wanted to lease but dealer wont let me citing my credit and wants to shove the 15+ APR financing on me.

I understand only excellent credit people get those lease advertised on dealer websites, but can fair/good credit people never lease at all?? Wont it be sufficient if I can pay a higher down payment ?
The dealer doesn't make that decision.

And if you ahve a down payment buy it. Even with the 15% APR if you're diligent about paying on time and take control of your finances you'll be able to refi in six months.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:31 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,140,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post

And if you ahve a down payment buy it. Even with the 15% APR if you're diligent about paying on time and take control of your finances you'll be able to refi in six months.
If the best OP can do is 15% for 84 months, the bolded clearly hasn't happened yet. Advising one to learn on the fly after a new car purchase may not be sage advice.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:36 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Regardless, Shanv . . .

High Interest either with a purchase or a lease is not a positive.

There must be a better way to go.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:52 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Financing is a game, they want you to pay more but if your credit sucks then you will have to bite the bullet.

1. Leasing is for people with good credit, so if they are quoting 15% car loans then your credit is not good. So they aren't refusing the lease but rather they can't find a lender that wants to lease to you!

2. 15% is not the worst, put more money down and I suspect the rate would come down 5% real quick.

3. The long payment term is trying to keep your payment low, to be competitive with some low dollar lease ad in the paper that you chased. So no you can't get a new fully loaded SUV with leather for $199 a month!

Old 06-03-2019, 01:32 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post

How can they refi on a car that would be then worth a lot less than the amount of the loan? This is not a real estate transaction we are talking about.

Old 06-03-2019, 04:25 PM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Car shopping time and I wanted to lease but dealer wont let me citing my credit and wants to shove the 15+ APR financing on me.

I understand only excellent credit people get those lease advertised on dealer websites, but can fair/good credit people never lease at all?? Wont it be sufficient if I can pay a higher down payment ?
If your credit is poor enough that you could not get better than 15% on a loan, it is almost a certainty that leasing won't solve the problem. All the decent lease deals will require better credit.

Pay your bills on time and start saving up your cash. Don't borrow money at double digit interest rates. With proper financial management and discipline, you can eventually (within a few years) get to the point where you can get a better car without paying an exorbitant amount for the privilege. Until then, you need to avoid buying things you can't afford.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:50 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I think you need to step back and reevaluate your financial situation.

Think of this as a wake-up call.

(FYI, I am not an anti-lease person. I outright own one new car, one 6 year old car, and I lease a high performance sports car. I only lease under very specific circumstances and if I come out ahead.)

This dealer is already telling you something you oight to pay attention to. That APR is insane. You must be a high risk.
Aim your sights lower on the car.
Look for alternate sources of financing.

Oh, and there will be *someone* out there who will give you the lease anyway.
But they are not doing you any favors.
Well said. The problem is the OP's credit is bad so he is a risk that few want unless an outrageous interest rate. Refused to believe such when I was in that same boat. As I got older and smarter I realized I was the one with the problem, not them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive