U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 06:21 PM

4,986 posts, read 3,160,511 times

Advertisements

"People make sure they carry jumper cables but can't find anyone to jump them when they need it."

here is why, in my opinion:
current car electronic systems might (or might not) do a shutdown during or after "jumping".
few people will want to take that chance with their new $42K car "jumping" another.
best to "roll your own" and have an on-board system which will accept your choice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 06:58 PM

22,155 posts, read 28,769,858 times
The batteries on my diesel died once. Called AAA guy came out with his cute jump pack accessory. My diesel laughed as it drained in on the first few cranks. Ended up getting new batteries installed

Old 06-03-2019, 07:06 PM

16,313 posts, read 12,965,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
"People make sure they carry jumper cables but can't find anyone to jump them when they need it."

here is why, in my opinion:
current car electronic systems might (or might not) do a shutdown during or after "jumping".
few people will want to take that chance with their new $42K car "jumping" another.
best to "roll your own" and have an on-board system which will accept your choice.
That plus the fact that few people stop to help stranded motorists anymore. In my case, my bike died after filling up. Some guys, who I later learned were bikers too, stopped (still on gas station grounds) and tried to help. The only thing they could do was to help me push start the bike, which failed. Then left.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:09 PM

8,715 posts, read 5,250,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
The batteries on my diesel died once. Called AAA guy came out with his cute jump pack accessory. My diesel laughed as it drained in on the first few cranks. Ended up getting new batteries installed
Yeah, I can still hear that mini-pickup going rrrrrrrrrrrrWHUMPF.

But jump packs aren't meant for HD/commercial work. OTOH I've started a big-block V8 with one multiple times on a single shelf charge.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:09 AM

18,444 posts, read 38,582,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Not if you have commercial-grade cables, instead of the $20 ones from AutoZone.

I had two sets of jumper cables that were grunt-heavy. One was a beautiful tow truck set that ended in a huge bumper-mounted socket. I intended to mount it on a big vehicle, but never did. Paid $25 at a garage sale, held it for about ten years, sold it for $100. (The copper in them alone was probably worth that much...)

But my other good cables... were nowhere to be found last time I moved. I have no idea where they went. A $75 set ca. 2000. 4 gauge, I believe. Rather than replace them, I bought the jump box. Even AAA uses those now for most calls.

True story - the full-size '68 wagon I intended to mount the cables on had a slightly tired 390. At least once, it killed the engine on a mini-service truck trying to jump it.
Mine doesn’t use traditional cables. You can only use the cables it came with because there’s a plug on one end.

https://youtu.be/w1vIvvbomRc

Old 06-06-2019, 12:00 PM

792 posts, read 2,657,806 times
Mine is 400mah and jump started a dead Camry fine after sitting in the trunk for 3 months. I've also used it to recharge my smart phone a couple times and got about 2 full recharges out of it. It's pretty great to have.

Old 06-06-2019, 12:04 PM

16,313 posts, read 12,965,930 times
400mah might power your cellphone.

Old 06-07-2019, 04:32 AM

792 posts, read 2,657,806 times
Ha, ha, you're right. It's 6000mah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive