Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 04:16 PM

671 posts, read 1,117,998 times

Advertisements

I am basically giving my 15 year old car to a relative in another state.
I need to make sure that the title is out of my name and the car is titled and registered by them.

I will not be making the trip down to deliver the car.

The title from my state has a transfer section but I can't see how to fill out for another state.
Any advice is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 05:33 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
You don't. You simply fill the sale part of it and hand title over to your relative.
Then immediately go to DMV site and register your vehicle as sold.

Also, you mail the tear off portion of your title to DMV. You are done. That car is not yours anymore, you have no liability.

Old 06-05-2019, 05:37 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Make a photocopy of both sides of title.

Obtain a signed Bill of Sale BEFORE sending title.

Old 06-05-2019, 06:12 PM

671 posts, read 1,117,998 times
Thanks for info. I am willing to keep insurance on it for the two weeks before they take possession . Did not realize I could turn in info to DMV for the sale. ( I need to do that anyway to update car tax info.)
I never thought about a separate bill of sale. Money changing hands-not so important. My not being liable for anything that happens with them. Any further whinging belongs in relationship stories =not auto.

Old 06-05-2019, 07:30 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times
^^^^^
You didn't mention license plates. Are you allowing the car to be driven from your house to another state with your plates? Remember that you are signing the title that the vehicle is no longer yours.

Old 06-06-2019, 10:12 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
If you really want it out of your name and to be 100% sure go to AAA or make appointment at DMV and have the title transferred there. Now you’re 100% sure the car is out of your name.

Otherwise you can most likely do the notification online if your state offers it. This doesn’t completely finish the transaction until the new owner actually completes the transaction and gets the car registered in their name.

Ive known people to ride the registration in the other owners name until its due. While you release liability the car is still legally registered in your name so you’ll get calls from tow yards, any tickets etc. yes ultimately you are not responsible I’m sure some will respond with it’s not my problem but it’s still a headache until it’s resolved.

When I sell a car I go to AAA and transfer title the day of the sale. It’s nonnegotiable. I make it clear before I even meet the prospective buyer.

Another way to do it is to get the correct paperwork get POA collect taxes and license and transfer fees and then go to DMV and do the transfer.

Old 06-06-2019, 05:55 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
50 states, 51 different sets of rules. OP should start with putting in the state where he resides.

In some states the plate stays with the seller, in others it goes with the car. In some states when you sell a car all you need to do is fill in the buyers name and sign the title. In other states the sellers signature must be notarized.

Some states have inspection, others have found it to be not cost effective and have discontinued it.

In this case the "seller's" state may have very different laws from the "buyers".

Old 06-07-2019, 05:19 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
50 states, 51 different sets of rules.

That's the gist of it whether you are buyer or seller. I bought a car out of NY with two names on the title, one was deceased. Apparently not an issue in NY with one signature but a very big issue in PA which I found out after bringing the car home. Needed to obtain death certificate and even then since it was not official copy they were giving me hassle. They only let it slide because I had the in transit tag issued by NY.

Old 06-07-2019, 10:04 AM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
If the car is titled to Fred and Sophie, then usually two signatures are needed.

If it is titled to Fred OR Sophie, then usually one signature is sufficient.

Old 06-07-2019, 12:59 PM

4,276 posts, read 5,931,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That's the gist of it whether you are buyer or seller. I bought a car out of NY with two names on the title, one was deceased. Apparently not an issue in NY with one signature but a very big issue in PA which I found out after bringing the car home. Needed to obtain death certificate and even then since it was not official copy they were giving me hassle. They only let it slide because I had the in transit tag issued by NY.
Not to mention PA has three different Sales Tax Rates for vehicle purchases depending upon where you live. Our youngest Son bought a new car from the Michigan Dealership where his Uncle is a Salesman. MI charges 6% Sales Tax. Our son lives in Alleghany County which has a 7% Sales Tax so he had to pay one percent of additional sales tax when registering the new car and transferring the plates from his old car to the new car.

Thank goodness for the Gentleman's Agreement between States so he didn't have to pay the full 7% in PA and request return of the original 6% from Michigan! Apparently that used to be necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive