Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 09:49 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
All bets are off for commercial-level use. The operative word here was "cars."
Most cars need it that often too, since they don’t have much in the way of a atf cooler. Actually, many problems with CVTs are due to scorched fluid, and it’s recommended to have the fluid totally replaced at 60k (if you’re not already having problems by then).

Maybe in cooler climates it’s not such a big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 09:59 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,760,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Most cars need it that often too, since they don’t have much in the way of a atf cooler. Actually, many problems with CVTs are due to scorched fluid, and it’s recommended to have the fluid totally replaced at 60k (if you’re not already having problems by then).

Maybe in cooler climates it’s not such a big deal.
I disagree. Unless there is unusual load - towing or maximum load - auto trans fluid can go much further, even in hot climates. Shorter intervals are from the 3k-oil-change rule, not to mention the "your car will DIE if you don't let us do this $129 service TODAY" Speedy model.

Fine print: Mfr recommendations rule, heavy service changes the situation, individual vehicles may vary, OCD owners excused.

Old 06-07-2019, 10:05 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,081,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corolla5speed View Post
Car manufacturers are eliminating oil drain plugs in oil pans and dipsticks in both the engine and transmissions of new ICE cars.

Would the lack of a drain plug and or dip stick influence your car buying decision?
I didn't know this was becoming a thing. I just bought a 2018 vehicle - still has a drain plug and dip stick.
Would you use some type of pump to get the oil out? Sounds like a nuisance and an extra piece of equipment to buy. Or would the oil filter still be located at the bottom so you could drain it that way? As for no dip stick - do we really need to rely on electronics for everything?

Old 06-07-2019, 10:17 AM

24,490 posts, read 17,226,594 times
I do my own oil changes and no if I was in the market for a vehicle without a drain plug it would not influence my decision because what choice do I have?

I am a Ford guy and when I finally do pull the trigger on a new F150 I would not be forced to buy a Chevy just because the Ford doesn't have a drain plug.

I think removing the drain plug is a stupid way to save a few bucks but then again how many people today even know how to change oil let alone be willing to get under the car to do it? I doubt a vacuum machine will be able to get the crud out (if any) like draining through the plug would but then again we live in such a throw away society people are not keeping their vehicles long enough to care about extending its life.

Old 06-07-2019, 10:24 AM

7,777 posts, read 6,385,415 times
If you are into towing it is prudent to install a transmission cooler that is separate from the radiator. A transmission temp gauge is also a good idea, much cheaper than a trans rebuild.

Old 06-07-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I disagree. Unless there is unusual load - towing or maximum load - auto trans fluid can go much further, even in hot climates. Shorter intervals are from the 3k-oil-change rule, not to mention the "your car will DIE if you don't let us do this $129 service TODAY" Speedy model.

Fine print: Mfr recommendations rule, heavy service changes the situation, individual vehicles may vary, OCD owners excused.
If your transmission fails at 110k miles because the fluid is burnt, do you think the manufacturers will care? They’ll happily offer you a $500 loyal customer discount on a new car.

Now if you’re the type to get rid of a vehicle before 100k miles, sure you can let it go. It’ll be the next poor sucker who pays for your neglect.

Old 06-07-2019, 10:30 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I do my own oil changes and no if I was in the market for a vehicle without a drain plug it would not influence my decision because what choice do I have?

I am a Ford guy and when I finally do pull the trigger on a new F150 I would not be forced to buy a Chevy just because the Ford doesn't have a drain plug.

I think removing the drain plug is a stupid way to save a few bucks but then again how many people today even know how to change oil let alone be willing to get under the car to do it? I doubt a vacuum machine will be able to get the crud out (if any) like draining through the plug would but then again we live in such a throw away society people are not keeping their vehicles long enough to care about extending its life.
People aren't keeping their vehicles long enough?

https://www.autotrader.com/car-shopp...to-last-240725

Old 06-07-2019, 10:32 AM

John Deere has a new system on their mowers where you don’t remove the drain plug, but rather change out a pre-filled filter (which is expensive btw). The problem is, that only changes out about half of the oil. Thank goodness the dealers offer an adapter to get rid of that crap so you can use a regular filter.

Old 06-07-2019, 11:01 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Mercedes is a brand that is moving away from undercar oil changes and doing it all from the top. Of course how many people buying brand new Mercedes change their own oil? Not many i would imagine. I don't know what models and engines have it, but the C300 i leased was design to change the oil via vacuum suction from the top. There's a fleece style cartridge filter that spins out of a housing on the top of the engine.

The downside to this is you have to purchase a fluid extractor, however if you are crafty you can fab one up yourself. I decided to change the oil on mine since it was much cheaper to do it myself vs paying dealer and i can handle such things. I used an AC vacuum pump i had and a canister similar to this to make my own extractor. Price has come down on them since I did this so i'd prob just buy one since it's a one time purchase and i can apply it to other vehicles if that's the way we are going.

https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-2438...86810049&psc=1

There was a port you hooked up to on the engine that would draw all the oil out of the pan. The cartridge filter is also replaced from the top. You can do the entire oil change without ever laying on your back.

And yes, there is still an oil plug on the pan, but you have to remove a few plastic belly pans to get at it. Most guys on the C-class forums stated every other oil change or every 3rd, they would pull the plug and do it from the bottom.

SO to answer the question...would I but a car without an oil plug? Absolutely. Easiest oil change i've ever done. I've been putting off changing the oil on my wife's car because I don't feel like dragging out the jackstands and laying on the ground. If i could do it with a vacuum pump and all from under the hood, it would have been done by now. The ease of the job is more motivation to do it more often I would imagine. That itself would tend to reduce the amount of sludge buildup in the pan.

Old 06-07-2019, 11:06 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
With the amount of cars switching to Direct injection. Makes checking and changing oils more frequent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive