Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 07:03 AM

12,436 posts, read 9,529,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Miata made a big splash the first time out. Honestly, it is not a player now. I only see here people gushing over it. Can't remember when I saw one last. The fact that it's really a Fiat does not help one bit.
Convertibles as a group have declined in popularity. But I will bet that the Miata was the biggest selling convertible last year... and as others have pointed out, no, the Miata isn't a Fiat, nothing in it is from Fiat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 07:04 AM

15,437 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoman_6 View Post
I have a sebring convertible. It's got 4 seats(it can replace a small pick up in a pinch, with the top down), gets decent gas mileage, It's good looking(I think), insurance rates would be lower than the other two choices given, and the maintenance is much lower.
And forget the tools. You can't work on a car that is less than ten years old nowadays.
That's not true at all. To the extent it's necessary, which isn't much, I work on my 2010 4Runner. Getting ready to replace the front shocks and maybe upper control arms.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:05 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Few people have mentioned the S2000.

Around here the S2000 is pretty high in demand and there are not as many found on the used lots as Boxsters. You will have to go older/more miles than either the 2016 MX-5 or 2007 Boxster to get into the same price range.

Yes... the S2000 is a very nice vehicle. Personally, I'd take the S2000 over a similar Boxster. Numbers aside, its engine is revy and makes for a great experience rowing through the gears.

There are quite a few older/lower mileage Boxsters on the lots here.... quite easy to find...

S2000 - performance convertible
Boxster - upscale overall blend
Miata - affordable weekender

At least that's how I see these three. If my memory serves me, the Miata was the smallest interior of the three. Some of my larger friends couldn't get comfortable in it although I'm not sure about the later NDs. Something to consider if you are a larger framed person.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:14 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,818,378 times
I'd just go with a V6 Mustang or Camaro if it was me. If you are dead set on one of the 2 you mentioned I'd go with the MX5. It will be cheaper to maintain. Doesn't matter if you are a new driver or not in either of these cars. Its not like you are driving a Hellcat or something.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:38 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post

Around here the S2000 is pretty high in demand and there are not as many found on the used lots as Boxsters. You will have to go older/more miles than either the 2016 MX-5 or 2007 Boxster to get into the same price range.

Yes... the S2000 is a very nice vehicle. Personally, I'd take the S2000 over a similar Boxster. Numbers aside, its engine is revy and makes for a great experience rowing through the gears.

There are quite a few older/lower mileage Boxsters on the lots here.... quite easy to find...

At least that's how I see these three. If my memory serves me, the Miata was the smallest interior of the three. Some of my larger friends couldn't get comfortable in it although I'm not sure about the later NDs. Something to consider if you are a larger framed person.
This was $32k 1 year ago... if you wait until next year you will see similar prices on the nd2.

https://www.southtownemazda.com/cert...71d95b05e8.htm

Old 06-14-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
This was $32k 1 year ago... if you wait until next year you will see similar prices on the nd2.

https://www.southtownemazda.com/cert...71d95b05e8.htm
I have a modified 97 Miata in the garage, 08 Solstice as a daily, in addition to my normal car and the family van. LOL I have a lot more than 1 year to wait before I can make a convincing argument for another car. LOL

Usually, I wait till the car is in the $13-15k range and pay in cash.

I've been daily driving (2 hours a day) convertibles for years. They are usually a 2ndary weekend vehicle for the first owners. As such they depreciate fairly quickly AND usually low mileage. Ideal for me.... cheap fun.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:55 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,165,050 times
I'm still puzzled that so many on an automotive forum would pick a Miata over a Porsche (even the cheapest Boxer).
I guess one needs to drive and own one to understand why when it comes to Porsche there is no comparison....

Old 06-14-2019, 08:00 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
I'm still puzzled that so many on an automotive forum would pick a Miata over a Porsche (even the cheapest Boxer).
I guess one needs to drive and own one to understand why when it comes to Porsche there is no comparison....
Fun/$$$. Pretty simple.

Old 06-14-2019, 08:00 AM

12,436 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post

There aren't a lot of cars that have ever been made with a 9,000 RPM redline on the motor as they did in the first 5 years, and being a Honda, you know it's going to be reliable if well maintained. 2009 was the last model year, but it's true, the OP is looking at a 2007 Boxster... so why not throw the S2000 into the mix?

Old 06-14-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
You really should drive both. IMO the Porsche and Miata are comparable only in body type and RWD. Not only is ownership costs different but they also feel different to drive. They are cheap to own and maintain too... ideal for the regular guy who wants a small roadster as a weekender.

I know the price of the Miata has climbed a lot since its introduction in 1989, but the primary reason for its success is that it was the convertible that any regular Joe can afford. I believe that still carries today.... not as affordable IMO but still relatively good value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive