Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 09:16 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times

Advertisements

Do your own experiment with an infrared thermometer .
Pick several colors and put them equally in the sun and measure their individual heats.
My son and I did that and found some interesting results .
I am not going to tell you what we found .
If knowing is important you will do something to disprove a theory.
And there is nothing like doing it your self .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2019, 09:27 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
I don't need a freaking infrared thermometer. When it's 100 degrees outside, there is no appreciable difference between a white and a black car. They are both hot.

Old 06-15-2019, 09:30 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
Just the facts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_2lsMXR_wo

Old 06-15-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Ive had a few white cars in the past, and I can honestly say, they get just as hot sitting the summer heat, as any other color car! Im not sure how that myth got started that they were cooler, I would bet it has something to do with the color white attracting less sunlight than other darker colors, but in the summer heat, that has little to do with how hot a sitting car gets though.
This is exactly what I just said. They are giving an "academic" reply. Yes, that's what you read in the physics books but let the car sit in the sun for a few hours and it makes damn little difference when you climb in

Old 06-15-2019, 09:39 AM

4,542 posts, read 3,741,311 times
Here's a study about white cars being cooler:

"The researchers had two cars in the sun for an hour, one black and the other silver, parked facing south, in Sacramento, California. The silver Honda Civic (shell SR 0.57) had a cabin air temperature of about 5-6°C (9-11°F) lower than an identical black car (shell SR 0.05)."

https://phys.org/news/2011-10-silver...rs-cooler.html

Old 06-15-2019, 10:42 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,949,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
If you drive a red car it’s because you want to be noticed. If you want to be noticed, you drive like an a-hole. If you drive like an a-hole, you tend to end up in more accidents. White vehicles on the other hand are like “don’t mind me, just doing my thing over here”.
Those are rather big assumptions! I bought a red car because I was rear-ended at a red light a couple of months ago. The idiot in the black truck, who was driving like an a-hole, hit me once, bounced and hit me again. The idiot totalled my vehicle twice - frame was buckled in two places. I chose red because I hope idiots will see a red car stopped at a red light, not because I'm an aggressive driver. My choice for red is all about safety, and because it's a good red.

Old 06-15-2019, 11:25 AM

17,304 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Here's a study about white cars being cooler:

"The researchers had two cars in the sun for an hour, one black and the other silver, parked facing south, in Sacramento, California. The silver Honda Civic (shell SR 0.57) had a cabin air temperature of about 5-6°C (9-11°F) lower than an identical black car (shell SR 0.05)."

https://phys.org/news/2011-10-silver...rs-cooler.html
Yeah there’s a difference. But if it’s 120 inside instead of 130 does that mean you’re comfortable and won’t need to vent it and run a/c?

Old 06-15-2019, 01:45 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,141,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
White technically is not even a color but year after year it's the most popular choice. While some colors only look good on some cars, white universally looks good on just about every car. Not sure if it's always been like this. Now, some white cars look better than others and that depends on the trim.
Dunno, wouldn't drive such a fruit loop color (or lack-of) myself. White means surrender.

Never say never, and I've seen a few (very few) cars that look brilliant in white...notably the Porsche GT3 and Lamborghini Tricolore Gallardos, and the Mustang GT350 white w/blue stripes. It wouldn't ever be my first choice, though.

Black, however, is. It's hard to maintain, but worth the work by a long shot. Keep it waxed, wash it weekly.

Old 06-15-2019, 04:56 PM

531 posts, read 452,335 times
Safety is the first consideration. I find yellow-orange the most visible. Like the Sun Fusion formerly offered on the Prius C. Fluorescent green would be even better, but I haven't seen it since the 1970's, on Chrysler muscle cars. You would think white and silver would score on reflectivity, but perhaps they blend into the generally gray background.
The human eye sees blue, green, and yellow-green. Red is seen with less sensitivity, but orange is near the peak of the yellow-green receptor.

Old 06-15-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Yeah there’s a difference. But if it’s 120 inside instead of 130 does that mean you’re comfortable and won’t need to vent it and run a/c?
Exactly! At what point both are too hot? You roll down the windows and in under a minute the two are equalized. Now if you had compared the interior colors, I might have agreed with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive