Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2019, 07:31 AM

1,069 posts, read 784,774 times

Advertisements

What was the longest battery warranty that came with a 12 volt battery you purchased?

Seems to me that 12V lead acid car battery warranty's were a lot longer years ago. The best I could find was the sears platinum series having a 48 month pro rated warranty.

Are there better warranty's out there that I'm missing?

With battery technology moving so rapidly, I would think battery's 10 year warranty would be common place by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2019, 07:44 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
5 years, and that was years ago, have not bought one in a long time. On our last few cars the OEM lasted much longer than that. For example I traded in my 2007 Ranger in 1017 and it had the original battery still at 73,000 miles. my wife has a 2002 Liberty, and that original battery lasted 9 years. We replaced it with a 4 year warranty battery since we knew we were going to trade it in soon.

Old 06-15-2019, 08:29 AM

Default That sounds like some great battery's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
5 years, and that was years ago, have not bought one in a long time. On our last few cars the OEM lasted much longer than that. For example I traded in my 2007 Ranger in 1017 and it had the original battery still at 73,000 miles. my wife has a 2002 Liberty, and that original battery lasted 9 years. We replaced it with a 4 year warranty battery since we knew we were going to trade it in soon.

That sounds like some great battery's. The longest warranty on a battery I can remember is 84 months. I guess we can expect battery's to do 9 year on new cars (like you have experienced) with all the enhancements in battery technology.

Old 06-15-2019, 10:23 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
I'm pretty sure I saw a top-drawer brand with a 10 year warranty; highest I've purchased is, IIRC, a 72-month.

Battery warranties are a little misleading, as they are highly prorated after about a year or so and good only on an equivalent replacement. That is, at 5 years you might get $20 off the same brand and model. I suppose like all such things they are a rough indicator of the manufacturer's represented quality.

A better question might be "Has anyone ever gotten reasonable satisfaction from a battery warranty?" (Me: nope.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by corolla5speed View Post
I guess we can expect battery's to do 9 year on new cars (like you have experienced) with all the enhancements in battery technology.
I don't think standard car batteries have changed much since the maintenance-free type was optimized about 25 years ago.

Old 06-15-2019, 02:20 PM

Default Battery's technology is moving forward hopefully the lead acid will be included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I'm pretty sure I saw a top-drawer brand with a 10 year warranty; highest I've purchased is, IIRC, a 72-month.

Battery warranties are a little misleading, as they are highly prorated after about a year or so and good only on an equivalent replacement. That is, at 5 years you might get $20 off the same brand and model. I suppose like all such things they are a rough indicator of the manufacturer's represented quality.

A better question might be "Has anyone ever gotten reasonable satisfaction from a battery warranty?" (Me: nope.)

I don't think standard car batteries have changed much since the maintenance-free type was optimized about 25 years ago.

Thanks for the reply, that's basically what I was looking for someone that has seen more then 48 month battery warranty's being offered for a while that's all I could find.

I then used a number of search engines and found 84 month pro-rated battery warranty's are out there. People are claiming generally good results.

I was hoping for some of the newer technology to have spilled over from the Hybrid's to the 12V starter battery's. I wouldn't mind not thinking about a battery for 10 years.

Old 06-15-2019, 02:38 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,921,886 times
As an old mechanic I believe in the strongest cranking battery that will fit in place.
There is a difference between two yrs and six yrs... number of plates for one.
What is the price you pay when car will not run at the mkt. Boost maybe if someone helps, not alwaya a guarantee.
Only 2-3 companies in US Making batteries under different names.
Go to your kitchen cupboard, find similiar glass jars, check bottom and chances are that mfg code will be the same... see my point.

Old 06-15-2019, 03:04 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,673,340 times
Exide under various brand names sells 72 month flat plate batteries.

Old 06-15-2019, 03:12 PM

Default More plates is a point well taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
As an old mechanic I believe in the strongest cranking battery that will fit in place.
There is a difference between two yrs and six yrs... number of plates for one.
What is the price you pay when car will not run at the mkt. Boost maybe if someone helps, not alwaya a guarantee.
Only 2-3 companies in US Making batteries under different names.
Go to your kitchen cupboard, find similiar glass jars, check bottom and chances are that mfg code will be the same... see my point.

More plates is a point well taken. That's another reason I've only driven stick for 50 years. I guess (speed and power of computers) is actually one of the few things in this life that has ever given more for less.

Next battery will have as many plates as will fit in my cars battery box.

Old 06-15-2019, 11:40 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
2 year free replacement with 3 years prorated for a total of 5 years

Old 06-16-2019, 04:59 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,093,827 times
Optimas are 3 years free replacement with extended warranties available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive