Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 06:31 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times

Advertisements

My SIL drives a 2015 Subaru Outback with the CVT. It's been trouble free. I've driven it a couple of times and found it smooth and responsive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 06:34 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Ford Issues Three Recalls on Over 1.8 Million Cars and Pickups. "Depending on how fast the truck is going, Ford says, an abrupt transmission shift into first gear without a warning could result in loss of vehicle control, increasing the risk of a crash."
Ford Recalls Over 1.8 Million Cars and Pickups | Fortune

"Lawsuit: Ford hid Focus, Fiesta transmission problems — then blamed customers"
https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...it/1119773001/

"[Dodge] Ram recalls nearly 1.5 million trucks in the U.S. over shifting issue"... "In the 1.48 million Ram trucks being recalled, a faulty transmission interlock may malfunction and cause the truck to shift out of park without applying the brake pedal or even requiring the key in the ignition. "
https://www.nydailynews.com/autos/ne...icle-1.3735193

Yeah, if these automakers can ever get these newfangled automatic transmissions figured out, maybe I'll buy one. Until then, you just keep on telling yourself the conventional automatic doesn't have issues.
A lot of the issues with DCTs (in the case of the Fiesta) is people not understanding how they work. It’s an automated manual, not an automatic. You can’t drive them the same way you drive a normal automatic. Hyundai has received the same complaints with theirs.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:18 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,991,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
And you have proven my point people talking smack about something they have never owned, it’s always that they read or know someone.
Well why WOULD I own it? Would you not trust a personal trainer who didnt have an obesity problem, or refuse surgery from a surgeon who never had a bypass done on themselves? Absurd. I try not to buy ****ty products, so yeah, I do lack those stories.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Ford Issues Three Recalls on Over 1.8 Million Cars and Pickups. "Depending on how fast the truck is going, Ford says, an abrupt transmission shift into first gear without a warning could result in loss of vehicle control, increasing the risk of a crash."
Ford Recalls Over 1.8 Million Cars and Pickups | Fortune

"Lawsuit: Ford hid Focus, Fiesta transmission problems — then blamed customers"
https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...it/1119773001/

"[Dodge] Ram recalls nearly 1.5 million trucks in the U.S. over shifting issue"... "In the 1.48 million Ram trucks being recalled, a faulty transmission interlock may malfunction and cause the truck to shift out of park without applying the brake pedal or even requiring the key in the ignition. "
https://www.nydailynews.com/autos/ne...icle-1.3735193

Yeah, if these automakers can ever get these newfangled automatic transmissions figured out, maybe I'll buy one. Until then, you just keep on telling yourself the conventional automatic doesn't have issues.
Yup. I dont own an American car either, thanks. You're right. They have qa/qc issues. I DO have some stories of my own there before I figured that out though, sadly. Now its 100% Japan sourced and assembled, no drivetrains without a minimum of 3 years trouble free production history. Its done me a solid, those two criteria!

Old 06-18-2019, 09:20 AM

1,002 posts, read 918,138 times
My understanding of and experience with CVTs:

Throttle response isn't typically as good as with a conventional automatic or especially a manual. This seems to be primarily where people feel CVTs are "slow" - most are simply not as responsive under rapid changes. However, they accelerate just as quickly, if not moreso than automatics and manuals once they've settled into their gear ratio since they can peg the engine at redline and not leave it.

Some CVTs are more reliable than others. Most seem to last "long enough" these days. They're also typically lighter and have fewer parasitic losses than torque converter automatics, so you get better fuel economy and lower vehicle weight (compared with a conventional auto anyway).

Old 06-18-2019, 09:43 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
My understanding of and experience with CVTs:

Throttle response isn't typically as good as with a conventional automatic or especially a manual. This seems to be primarily where people feel CVTs are "slow" - most are simply not as responsive under rapid changes. However, they accelerate just as quickly, if not moreso than automatics and manuals once they've settled into their gear ratio since they can peg the engine at redline and not leave it.

Some CVTs are more reliable than others. Most seem to last "long enough" these days. They're also typically lighter and have fewer parasitic losses than torque converter automatics, so you get better fuel economy and lower vehicle weight (compared with a conventional auto anyway).
On our new Subaru the throttle response is practically the same as my Forester. Yes, CVTs have come a long way in the last 20 years. My guess longevity has also improved

Old 06-18-2019, 10:21 AM

Toyota has started to use an actual 1st gear combined with the belt to try to eliminate the rubber band feeling.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...with-1st-gear/

Old 06-18-2019, 10:37 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Well why WOULD I own it? Would you not trust a personal trainer who didnt have an obesity problem, or refuse surgery from a surgeon who never had a bypass done on themselves? Absurd. I try not to buy ****ty products, so yeah, I do lack those stories.
So you’re just telling others what you read so that makes you an expert on them then like other people have said they have no problems with theirs even past 100,000 miles.

Old 06-18-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
So you’re just telling others what you read so that makes you an expert on them then like other people have said they have no problems with theirs even past 100,000 miles.
Say what you want with your sample of 1, I'm not buying any current production CVT equipped vehicles. Zero advantages to one. Not reliable in higher torque applications like mine, either, even if they do work alright in some other applications, for a while.

Old 06-18-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Generally, if something is junk the word gets out pretty fast. I didn’t need to own a Ford Taurus to know they had terrible transmissions. I didn’t need to own a Chrysler 2.7 to know they were prone to sludge. I didn’t need to own a Chevy with a 5.3 to know they have cylinder deactivation issues.

Sometimes just being observant goes a long way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive