Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 08:01 AM

4,644 posts, read 4,914,294 times

Advertisements

Scosche makes some fancy magnet ones. My wife liked her suction cup mount before she got her new car with Android Auto. Now her phone sits in a tray in the console.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 08:04 AM

61,862 posts, read 87,339,575 times
Some people use phone to (occasionally) glance at the map.

Did you tried all those?
https://www.igeeksblog.com/best-ipho...us-car-mounts/

Old 06-18-2019, 08:52 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,133,176 times
Proclipusa.com Best phone mounts I have ever used.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:57 AM

15,642 posts, read 26,286,872 times
The Matrix and the Niro have a console pocket holder that fits the phone. The Matrix was old school, and the phone didn’t work with the car. It was nice to have a place to stash it.

The Niro is all high tech, and the phone has to be attached to use the map function via usb cord, which also charges the phone, and allows me to use apple car play. But, when paired everything comes through the larger screen. I can receive texts and phone messages via Siri, answer with voice texting, talk on the phone via my steering wheel, and the volume is high enough the person in the passenger seat can join in the conversation.

But, as amazing as it was to have all this at my fingertips, it was still distracting. I don’t multitask well. So, I generally don’t answer the phone while I drive. It was handy on those short trips from the hospital when I was driving home and my husband wanted to be sure I was safe, before he’d finally go to sleep. We’d chat on the trip home, and up the walk and into the house and the trip around the house.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:48 PM

6,593 posts, read 11,306,068 times
The vent clip and CD slot ones work the best. My favorite vent clip was one that looked like this - https://smile.amazon.com/i-Trek-IG-A...ct_top?ie=UTF8

All the other ones didn't really hold up really well. Unfortunately, these only worked with specific type of vents.

The CD ones work well if the cd slot is in the right location. And of course, assuming you still have a CD slot.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:16 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,015,228 times
I haven't owned one but I always thought the one's that sat on the dashboard like below in the link, were pretty neat

https://www.amazon.com/Besiva-Dashbo...cu%2Caps%2C559

Old 06-18-2019, 01:50 PM

9,438 posts, read 11,195,393 times
No.

We look at GPS units don't we?

In my area, I estimate about HALF of all vehicle-aimers I see at lights or on surface streets are texting, talking, or otherwise distracted by the Devices Of The Devil.
And about 60% don't use signals. No problem!

Talking, hands-free or otherwise, is a major distractor.

My wife's cell has a setting for "I'm driving, I'll call/text back, I can't talk right now." or something like that.

There's a lot in the following, it's from 2010 but is germaine:

Multitasking: A Brain Drain
This section provides the foundation to understand the full impact of driving while
engaging in cell phone conversations on both handheld and hands-free phones. It
explains how cognitively complex it is to talk on the phone and drive a vehicle at the
same time, and why this drains the brain’s resources.
Multitasking is valued in today’s culture, and our drive for increased productivity makes
it tempting to use cell phones while behind the wheel. People often think they are
effectively accomplishing two tasks at the same time. And yes, they may complete a
phone conversation while they drive and arrive at their destination without incident,
thus accomplishing two tasks during the same time frame. However, there are two truths
to this common belief.
1. People actually did not “multitask.”
2. People did not accomplish both tasks with optimal focus and effectiveness.
Multitasking is a myth. Human brains do not perform two tasks at the same time.
Instead, the brain handles tasks sequentially, switching between one task and another.

https://www.albany.marines.mil/Porta..._Paper_Fnl.pdf

Didn't see a copyright here anywhere.

Old 06-18-2019, 02:44 PM

272 posts, read 271,463 times
Personal opinion

I think RAM mounts work best. The best to least best goes from Bolt down to Cup holder to Stick on dash pad to Window suction cup in that order.

I think the worst mount is the vent clip.

I used to have a laptop on a bolt down ram mount. My GPS, I use a RAM stick on dash pad with suction cup, but for my phone I use a vent clip even though it's the worst. The reason I use the vent clip is because some apps like Amazon flex will get batteries scorching hot and burn through battery life in the blink of an eye so I keep it on the vent with the AC cooling it.

Old 06-18-2019, 03:06 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,428,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Once again, I need a cellphone mount for my iPhone8 plus. You name it, I've tried it; windshield mount (short and goosneck), air vent with a clip, air vent and magnetic back, just laying it around etc. etc. All had issues that you won't know until after it's too late. The air vent mounts often come up short or the phone is just too big and heavy. Some might say just pair it and keep it in your pocket. Perhaps, but sometimes you want it in view.
I got one that sticks to the center of my truck's windshield and it is the ONLY phone holder I ever bought that actually works. I bought it on Amazon from a company named TaoTronics. It truly sticks and IF you do remove it to move it or change vehicles, go inside and WASH the sticky in warm water and let it dry and it will stick again. I saw a taxi driver that had one on his far left windshield and asked him where he got his.

Old 06-18-2019, 03:15 PM

22,667 posts, read 24,639,634 times
Bought a Dollartree cheapy, seems to work fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive