U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 08:26 AM

21,102 posts, read 25,073,661 times

Advertisements

I so wish I'd get over it one day, humanizing my car, but I can't help myself!

A few weeks ago I promised my car I'd take it for a nice long run to the Border and back, and, at the last minute, my neighbor wished to go as well but wanted to take her car. Oh Lord, how was I going to break this news to my car? So I promised my car, after I got back, I'd drive it north to Casa Grande and back, to relieve my guilt, which I did.

Sometimes, I just wish to take my bike over to the grocery store, and when I take it out of the house the car can see me with the bicycle, and it makes me feel guilty. What I should do is take the bicycle out the back door so he can't see me hop on my bike.

Yes, you can call me a Crazy Loon, but there must be one other poster coming aboard who's as crazy as I am!

And don't forget, a study I read, long ago, indicated that 68% of car owners talk to their cars, but how many feel guilty as I sometimes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 08:28 AM

48,222 posts, read 69,157,005 times
You have a very strange relationship with your car. Did you talk about it with a doctor?
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:38 AM

29,597 posts, read 71,637,126 times
The title of this thread attracted my attention because I did have a car that made me feel guilty. It was a top of the line muscle car that I bought new. I ordered every possible performance option plus more (T-tops for example). I had to cut back on my charitable giving that year to afford it. It used a lot of gas and was expensive to insure and maintain. I drove past people begging for food along the road pretty much every day. I realized I could have bought a much cheaper car and donated the difference. I also realized that kind of thinking leads to an unending path. I could just live in a tent, have only one pair of shoes and take a bus to work and donate the rest. Then I would get out on the open road and suddenly forgot about my guilty feelings. But, yes, it did make me feel guilty at times. After I had driven it for 15 years, it no longer did. In fact, I parked it around the corner when I went to some business meetings. Some people expected their hotshot lawyer to drive a newer/fancier car.

But that is a different kind of guilty. My car and my bicycle are good friends and do not get jealous of each other. They get a bit upset when I show a preference for my feet or my kayak, but it rarely makes me feel guilty. I sometimes play favorites with my kids too. (I tell them my favorite is whichever one i am looking at at the moment).

Old 06-18-2019, 08:48 AM

1,380 posts, read 1,084,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

A few weeks ago I promised my car I'd take it for a nice long run to the Border and back, and, at the last minute, my neighbor wished to go as well but wanted to take her car. Oh Lord, how was I going to break this news to my car? So I promised my car, after I got back, I'd drive it north to Casa Grande and back, to relieve my guilt, which I did.

Sometimes, I just wish to take my bike over to the grocery store, and when I take it out of the house the car can see me with the bicycle, and it makes me feel guilty. What I should do is take the bicycle out the back door so he can't see me hop on my bike.

Yes, you can call me a Crazy Loon, but there must be one other poster coming aboard who's as crazy as I am!

And don't forget, a study I read, long ago, indicated that 68% of car owners talk to their cars, but how many feel guilty as I sometimes.
You Sir, are a FREAK!

Old 06-18-2019, 08:55 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,185,587 times
It's your car, not your dog.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:04 AM

1,629 posts, read 2,098,179 times
Quote:

I think you and your car should see other people.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:36 AM

9,302 posts, read 18,970,466 times
No, I don't let them get to me like that. They know who's in charge. And if they give me any guff I just turn it right back on them.

For instance, I had a Bonneville that decided not to start out of the blue. I had another car so I just drove that one for awhile and didn't even look at the Bonneville for about two weeks. Next time I went to start it up it fired right off and never gave me any more trouble as long as I owned it. It learned that if it wanted any attention from me it had to be ready to go when I wanted it to.

In your case I think being open and honest with your car is the key. Just let it know that there are other conveyances in your life that also deserve your attention, and that sometimes other people who love their cars will want to take you along with them. Maybe point out that the additional rest will be good for it, and will allow you to have many more happy years together as a result.

Old 06-18-2019, 11:24 AM

17,793 posts, read 11,799,602 times
Too funny OP.

My wife and I have 4 vehicles and sometimes I do feel bad if one has sat for a week without getting out for some exercise.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:18 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,197,469 times
Quote:

A few weeks ago I promised my car I'd take it for a nice long run to the Border and back, and, at the last minute, my neighbor wished to go as well but wanted to take her car. Oh Lord, how was I going to break this news to my car?
You promised your car that you'd take it to Taco Bell?

https://youtu.be/ltXZD3sXcpA

Old 06-18-2019, 12:24 PM

285 posts, read 140,856 times
Hey, I talk to my car! Mainly a one sided conversation but that's okay.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive