U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 09:06 AM

55 posts, read 48,270 times

Advertisements

I could use some ideas.

My driver’s side power window in my 2003 Ford hatchback is shot. It has
power, but the window won’t raise or lower correctly. Until today, the window
would stay up okay, but now it wants to fall down at an angle. If I try to
straighten it out, it feels like it could fall into the door’s interior completely.

I know the best ideas would be spend money and get it fixed or scrap the car
(since it has other issues, too).

Today, I’m looking to hear any ideas, crazy or otherwise, for keeping the
window up so I can park it, get it rained on and drive without it crashing down.

Many thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 10:29 AM

4,477 posts, read 2,240,927 times
Remove the door panel. Run the linkage up and down a little. Look to see what's broken.

I had basically the same problem with my 2000 GMC pickup years ago. Found that one of the cables for the window linkage had broke. I found that the parts were available on Ebay for a fraction of what I'd pay locally or on Amazon, so I had to wait a week or so.

Meanwhile I cut piece of 1x4 board that I had laying around and jammed it under the window to keep it closed while I waited on the parts to arrive. Worked as well as you could ask a leftover piece of wood to work...

Old 06-20-2019, 10:55 AM

13,526 posts, read 7,745,353 times
Yup.. what Turkey-head said...

Try to repair yourself first because the dealers will replace the whole unit for a lot more.

On my Chevy, one of the clips that hold the window motor broke on mine which kept the motor's gear from engaging the window. They wanted to charge a lot of money to fix it claiming that the entire unit had to be replaced. I opened it up and fixed it with JB weld epoxy putty. Looks like practically the entire window unit was a single piece snapped together.

Price was my time, JB weld putty, and some fresh clips that hold the door panel on as the existing ones snapped when pulled on.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:56 AM

9,302 posts, read 18,983,108 times
If you're not concerned about functionality and just want it to stay closed some good carton sealing tape will do the trick.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:02 AM

41,817 posts, read 46,498,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommegrot View Post

window up so I can park it, get it rained on and drive without it crashing down.

Many thanks!

My first idea would be to get some plastic or wood wedges, put some silicon adhesive on the widow side of the wedge and wedge them between window and the door frame where the window goes into the door. Make sure to let them dry for quite a while. There should be plenty of adhesion and if you ever need to take them off they are easily removed.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:12 AM

41,817 posts, read 46,498,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
If you're not concerned about functionality and just want it to stay closed some good carton sealing tape will do the trick.

If I was going to permanently seal it I'd first see if the upper rubber gasket can easily be removed, if it can be use clear silicon to adhere it to door frame because the weight of the window may dislodge it. Let that dry for 24 hours and then adhere the window to the gasket with clear silicone.

Of course if the window does have upper frame for the window this won't work because you won't be able to open the door.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:13 AM

55 posts, read 48,270 times
Thanks for the ideas, folks. I need to mull over the options and try something.

My quickie fix for now is a few 3/4 inch strips cut from a silicone pot holder, folded
over and stuffed in the window crease with a putty knife. I got some good pressure
against the glass on three edges, so we'll see how this holds up to road vibration.

Thanks much for all these other tips!

Old 06-20-2019, 12:14 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,514,143 times
I'd start with Google/Youtube and a Ford forum to see if others have had similar problems and solutions:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ndow+off+track

This was common on the MK4 VW Golf/Beetle/Jetta. VAG used plastic clips that didn't stand up to dry/hot weather or numerous slamming of the door. The windows will literally just drop right into the door unexpectedly.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:25 PM

22,155 posts, read 27,619,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommegrot View Post
I could use some ideas.

My driver’s side power window in my 2003 Ford hatchback is shot. It has
power, but the window won’t raise or lower correctly. Until today, the window
would stay up okay, but now it wants to fall down at an angle. If I try to
straighten it out, it feels like it could fall into the door’s interior completely.

I know the best ideas would be spend money and get it fixed or scrap the car
(since it has other issues, too).

Many thanks!
Here is a idea.

Go to the junkyard go buy the motor the actuating mechanism the window and track and install it.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:37 PM

10,435 posts, read 6,139,388 times
Depending on model.. you can get a new regulator with motor for about 50.00. E-bay or Amazon. I replaced the one on my Honda Accord and it only took me about an hour to replace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive