Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2020, 06:57 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times

Advertisements

Good luck when all of these TV screens fail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2020, 05:21 AM

1,069 posts, read 784,774 times
Default Today they are called heads-up displays. Heads-up displays have been around since the 1980's

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I’ve been seeing more and more of these video screen dashboards with virtual gages, some of which you can select or unselect for the display. Seen some that allowed the driver to add more readouts on the touch screen display located on the center dash. I can see the purpose and use for performance vehicles and work vehicles (such as work trucks for example) but why are such features making their way into traditional passenger vehicles? Are such displays becoming cheaper to produce than traditional analog gages? Is it an ease of manufacturing not needing special cables run to and from each gauge? For car people it would be nice to see volts, temperature, oil pressure, and other points but the average passenger vehicle driver just wants to know speed and fuel.

Today they are called heads-up displays. Heads-up displays have been around since the 1980's. This stuff goes further back to early computer inter-action with cars in the 1960's, as in (VW). Today by using that (On Board Diagnostic Program OBD2) and an application via phone or android tablet with your cars computer and a wireless obd2 reader all working together. You then can create your own custom very sophisticated dash. This stuff goes back to the 1990's but was more expensive to put together back then.

The heads up displays also sell as a self-contained separate unit for a few bucks on line. Be aware as with desktops and laptops car computers, phones, androids all have limitations and they sometimes crash. Third party diagnostic tools such as wireless obd2, heads-up displays. LED lights and other add on's can void warranty's or worse. The responsibility is yours when it comes to third party add-on's. So read your owners manual about manufacture's recommendations and understand you are the risk taker.

Old 03-16-2020, 06:16 AM

6,414 posts, read 3,128,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Just more crap to break

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Or track you.
Or, do as IT wants to.
Or, do as it will be told to, regardless of what you want to.

I agree, with both comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Corvettes have had them for years.
Yes and no. GM tried them on the C-4 generation of Corvettes ('84-'97) with mixed results, therefore, they went back to "analog" gauge clusters in the C-5 generation ('98-'04). As much as a Corvette enthusiast as I am, I have to plead ignorance on what the C-6 and C-7 generations had for instrument clusters.

Old 03-18-2020, 04:05 PM

8,479 posts, read 4,724,709 times
It looks a bit funky and video game-y to me, but then, I’m a bit of a Luddite anyway.

Probably the biggest reason they like it is that when you buy screens like that in bulk, it gets dirty cheap, probably cheaper than assembling a gauge cluster with moving parts.

Old 03-19-2020, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corolla5speed View Post
Today they are called heads-up displays. Heads-up displays have been around since the 1980's.
Not actually correct. "Heads up displays" are the optical units that project certain elements of the instrument cluster's information directly on to the middle/lower portion of the windshield. This is done so the driver doesn't have to "look down" at the instrument panel, hence the term "heads up".

This system was initially developed by the military, for use in fighter jets, beginning in the late 70s.

Old 04-05-2020, 07:34 AM

1,069 posts, read 784,774 times
Default Thank you. I should have made myself more clear I was referring to a Nissan SX my sister in law owned in the 1980's

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Not actually correct. "Heads up displays" are the optical units that project certain elements of the instrument cluster's information directly on to the middle/lower portion of the windshield. This is done so the driver doesn't have to "look down" at the instrument panel, hence the term "heads up".

This system was initially developed by the military, for use in fighter jets, beginning in the late 70s.

Thank you. I should have made myself more clear. I was referring to a Nissan SX my sister-in-law owned in the 1980's. That car had the windshield laser type display you are referring to.

Since then the wireless interaction of OBD2 data with Phones, Tablets, Laptops, etc also uses the same data source to project information on their digital screens. The number of data points being extracted via the OBD2 source and the infinite screen presentation options make heads up displays a desirable inexpensive option on today's cars. Again to clarify digital, laser, LED and other options exist are available to consumers.

https://www.walmart.com/search/?quer...20up%20display

Old 04-06-2020, 01:38 AM

2 posts, read 800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I’ve been seeing more and more of these video screen dashboards with virtual gages, some of which you can select or unselect for the display. Seen some that allowed the driver to add more readouts on the touch screen display located on the center dash. I can see the purpose and use for performance vehicles and work vehicles (such as work trucks for example) but why are such features making their way into traditional passenger vehicles? Are such displays becoming cheaper to produce than traditional analog gages? Is it an ease of manufacturing not needing special cables run to and from each gauge? For car people it would be nice to see volts, temperature, oil pressure, and other points but the average passenger vehicle driver just wants to know speed and fuel.
The number of wires is the same for all options. The main advantage is that you can choose the gauges yourself (oil pressure, volts, etc.)

Old 04-06-2020, 05:27 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robh0377 View Post
The number of wires is the same for all options. The main advantage is that you can choose the gauges yourself (oil pressure, volts, etc.)
I prefer a button, knob, dial, for my heater/AC. Turn the knob to choose what speed fan and what temperature for heat.

Not some touch screen to go through an extensive menu just to find the heater or AC. Then another menu to select the temperature.

Old 04-06-2020, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
I prefer a button, knob, dial, for my heater/AC. Turn the knob to choose what speed fan and what temperature for heat.

Not some touch screen to go through an extensive menu just to find the heater or AC. Then another menu to select the temperature.
I agree!!!

And when you first turn on the car, you get the Government required message screen, telling you that "distracted driving" is dangerous......No s**t, Captain Obvious!! Why do i need to navigate through 2-3 pages on a touch screen, to do a simple task like turn up the blower speed, or change the station on the radio, when a simple lever or dial did the job for 60 years???

Old 04-06-2020, 06:15 AM

8,479 posts, read 4,724,709 times
Well that’s a bit different than talking about the instrument panel. Frankly, for secondary controls like that, if it can’t be done by feel, it’s distraction and the type of potential hazard the safety Nazis have been trying to get rid of for years. I don’t know why they even bothered with all the other safety crap if they then turn a blind eye to infotainment screens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive