Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 10:49 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times

Advertisements

Get it inspected and use the accident as a bargaining chip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 11:33 AM

19,036 posts, read 27,607,234 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/autom...d-flag-no.html

Old 06-26-2019, 12:34 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,764,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
This would seem to be a situation where, in addition to the usual pre-purchase inspection you would want to take it to a body shop for evaluation.
This.

Most repairable cars are repaired quite thoroughly and there's no need to worry that it has hidden problems. But it's a good bargaining point - it does reduce the value of the vehicle - and it's worth having a third party carefully check out the repairs.

Old 06-26-2019, 12:38 PM

120 posts, read 65,302 times
Diminished value comes into play here. My vehicle was hit while parked at my girlfriends house. The front bumper cover, drivers side fender and some bits behind that were replaced. No big deal to me other than it's valued less now, but as time passes that will equal out and the repairs were done very well at a great shop.
The insurance companies scare me because some want to replace the original parts with crap replacement parts, while others want it back to factory specs.
My model year is 2016 too.

Old 06-26-2019, 03:33 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasre28 View Post
So, I'm looking at this 2016 Honda Odyssey. The carfax shows as "ACCIDENT REPORTED" to the front-left side of the vehicle and the title is clean. The vehicle has still got warranty. Is it a worth buy?

Vehicle looks great , very low mileage.
One of my trucks will show accident report. I blew a tire and wiped out the front fender. Insurance fixed the damage and I paid extra to have the truck painted cause the paint was faded. I wouldn’t drop a penny off the price because of the “accident”

Old 06-26-2019, 06:30 PM

1,156 posts, read 941,766 times
If you have to ask, I suspect you're better off buying a clean car with no accident history. Also, order your own CarFax - it's easy to fake a printout.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:38 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,980,997 times
If it was your only option, maybe, if you take it to a mechanic who will put it up on a hoist and look for frame damage (or damage that was obviously badly repaired, obvious cut of corners in repair or repairs skipped, etc.). Without doing that-- no.

And, you can't always see damage... I once bought a car with an accident reported. Frame checked out okay. Some time later I noticed a wet headliner. Apparently the windshield had been replaced and not properly sealed. Guess who got to pay for a new windshield?

Old 06-26-2019, 08:53 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,140,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
If it was your only option, maybe, if you take it to a mechanic who will put it up on a hoist and look for frame damage (or damage that was obviously badly repaired, obvious cut of corners in repair or repairs skipped, etc.). Without doing that-- no.

And, you can't always see damage... I once bought a car with an accident reported. Frame checked out okay. Some time later I noticed a wet headliner. Apparently the windshield had been replaced and not properly sealed. Guess who got to pay for a new windshield?
Most cars don't even have "frames" anymore.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:06 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,908,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasre28 View Post
So, I'm looking at this 2016 Honda Odyssey. The carfax shows as "ACCIDENT REPORTED" to the front-left side of the vehicle and the title is clean. The vehicle has still got warranty. Is it a worth buy?

Depends on how much you pay for it.

If you are buying it from an owner who had the accident, demand the insurance settlement papers. There will be an itemization of the repairs.

If you are buying from a subsequent owner or a dealer don't believe anything they tell you.

Keep in mind that an accident on Carfax will depress the sale price when YOU eventually go to sell it so proceed with caution and an appropriate offer.

Old 06-28-2019, 06:54 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
It is really quite simple: If the reported accident causes YOU discomfort, do not purchase the vehicle.
Personally, I probably would not let it worry me. I recently purchased a car that has a salvage title. It hit a deer. The repairs were done well, the price was low, we liked the car, and we bought it with no concerns. Resale value doesn't bother me, I don't buy anything to resell, I buy for my use. The seller provided the receipts for the parts bought to refurbish the vehicle.
I'm happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive