Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2019, 05:28 PM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times

Advertisements

Consider the Camaro, Mustang, & Challenger. Have the big three considered a crossover based upon the same platform as these three vehicles? We know the platform for the Challenger can be stretched in length because it’s shared with the Charger. Would such a vehicle be too expensive to sell to be competitive? Would such a vehicle be able to offer an all wheel drive option? Would the price point push it up to their upmarket brand level prices?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 05:31 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,966,169 times
not the Camaro.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:01 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,403,861 times
What? Why would anyone want a Mustang based crossover? I'm sure some people would, but I don't get it. Yes I know even Lamborghini is making a crossover now, but I still don't get it.

Why can't mini-vans just be mini-vans? Do you really have the need to prove how cool and awesome you are as your're driving around in your grocery-mobile?

Old 06-26-2019, 06:37 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,991,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
What? Why would anyone want a Mustang based crossover? I'm sure some people would, but I don't get it. Yes I know even Lamborghini is making a crossover now, but I still don't get it.

Why can't mini-vans just be mini-vans? Do you really have the need to prove how cool and awesome you are as your're driving around in your grocery-mobile?
So that when they lost control they could have a larger crowd impact.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:34 PM

802 posts, read 1,367,174 times
you are not crossing over anything with RWD

Old 06-26-2019, 09:40 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post

I thought I read somewhere that Ford is working on a Mustang based crossover that’s either hybrid or EV.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:43 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
They do.

Tesla Model X. Also it's Fiat now but when it was Big Three Grand Cherokee was pretty popular so that should be mentioned as well. Ford or GM, maybe. Rumors of GM doing it for a while, XT3 based off of Alpha platform (Camaro, ATS, CTS).

Old 06-27-2019, 06:32 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,577 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Consider the Camaro, Mustang, & Challenger. Have the big three considered a crossover based upon the same platform as these three vehicles? We know the platform for the Challenger can be stretched in length because it’s shared with the Charger. Would such a vehicle be too expensive to sell to be competitive? Would such a vehicle be able to offer an all wheel drive option? Would the price point push it up to their upmarket brand level prices?
The Challenger is already offered in AWD, so that's not a problem. The Camaro is being discontinued, and FCA is going to completely redo the Challenger, so that leaves only the Mustang which is already morphing into a CUV as southernnaturelover said.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/28680/...planned-report

https://www.motor1.com/news/263472/2...ger-rendering/

https://www.motor1.com/news/328794/d...ric-crossover/

Old 06-27-2019, 09:16 AM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The Challenger is already offered in AWD, so that's not a problem. The Camaro is being discontinued, and FCA is going to completely redo the Challenger, so that leaves only the Mustang which is already morphing into a CUV as southernnaturelover said.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/28680/...planned-report

https://www.motor1.com/news/263472/2...ger-rendering/

https://www.motor1.com/news/328794/d...ric-crossover/
It hasn't. Latest rumor is delayed which could mean canceled. CT5 is still in the works and replacing the ATS and CTS, still on the Alpha platform. It might depend how well that sells which probably won't be very well as sedans aren't popular. What they need to do is build the XT3. Everything is going parts sharing nowadays to keep costs down. BMW bases everything from the Z4/Toyota Supra to 3 series to 5 series to X3 to X5 and some other minor models all on the same platform nowadays, but that's a modular platform. The Alpha doesn't have that flexibility.

Again, rumors but GM has a new modular platform in the work to replace both the Alpha and Omega platforms (VSS-R). That might be more suitable for a crossover, and if they're working on that delaying the Camaro would make sense. It's not going to be a big seller but it does sell and if they can build the Camaro, CT5, CT6, potential XT3 on a single platform the Camaro still does sell. That would be similar to the FWD-based E2XX platform that underpins the Malibu,Regal, LaCrosse, XT4, XT5, Acadia, Blazer and so on its various different configurations. On the other hand they could just scrap the VSS-R and discontinue all the RWD-based vehicles. None of them are exactly big sellers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive