Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 03:59 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times

Advertisements

People saying only speed-up to merge, sounding like robotic drones....you have to call it on a case by case basis. The one's pushing this weirdness are probably the merge-tailgaters who's heads explode when the car 1/2 second in front of them does not behave as THEY want them to, LOL.

What if there is a huge semi already on the freeway, and there is NO WAY you are gunna be able to safely get in front of that monster, HUM, speed up anyways????? Sometimes you are going to come out of a blind or nearly blind merge-ramp that has no merging-lane on the freeway, best to be flexible on what you do in that scenario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019, 04:10 PM

5,456 posts, read 6,049,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
People saying only speed-up to merge, sounding like robotic drones....you have to call it on a case by case basis. The one's pushing this weirdness are probably the merge-tailgaters who's heads explode when the car 1/2 second in front of them does not behave as THEY want them to, LOL.

What if there is a huge semi already on the freeway, and there is NO WAY you are gunna be able to safely get in front of that monster, HUM, speed up anyways????? Sometimes you are going to come out of a blind or nearly blind merge-ramp that has no merging-lane on the freeway, best to be flexible on what you do in that scenario.
Hard to come down an acceleration ramp onto a freeway without increasing speed. Ideally you should match the speed of the existing traffic on the highway that has the right of way. BUT, you are spot on about the case by case basis.

Old 07-05-2019, 04:35 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,231,744 times
Maybe this is only in So Cal, but what is the safety reasoning for stopping at a light and leaving so much space to the car in front that you can land a 747 jumbo jet in?

Makes...no....sense.

Not only that, but it can create a back jam so people can't get into a turn lane.

Old 07-05-2019, 06:11 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
This happened to me about an hour ago.

Headed back home from the store speed limit varies on the road I was on. Any where from 45-55.
I was doing some where around 50 and I caught up to a truck they were going 45ish, I wasn’t in a hurry and it was nice out so I slowed down a bit. The driver of the truck kept slowing down not by braking but just taking their foot off the gas.

Why??? What’s the point in this? Do they not understand how dangerous this is??
Some people don’t understand that going to slow is just as dangerous as going to fast given the road and the situation.

On a side note and a bit off topic, I remember when American manufacturers started installing DRLs on their vehicles. Too many people for one reason or another can’t seem to remember to turn their lights on during dusk or early or in morning. I see drivers going down the road with out them. Totally oblivious that their lights aren’t on.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:37 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
This happened to me about an hour ago.

Headed back home from the store speed limit varies on the road I was on. Any where from 45-55.
I was doing some where around 50 and I caught up to a truck they were going 45ish, I wasn’t in a hurry and it was nice out so I slowed down a bit. The driver of the truck kept slowing down not by braking but just taking their foot off the gas.

Why??? What’s the point in this? Do they not understand how dangerous this is??
Some people don’t understand that going to slow is just as dangerous as going to fast given the road and the situation.

On a side note and a bit off topic, I remember when American manufacturers started installing DRLs on their vehicles. Too many people for one reason or another can’t seem to remember to turn their lights on during dusk or early or in morning. I see drivers going down the road with out them. Totally oblivious that their lights aren’t on.
That’s one of my pet peeves, people who don’t put their lights on in fog, snow and driving rain. And those who don’t realize DRLs don’t put taillights on. In poor visibility you can’t see then till you’re on top of them, and can’t see them coming when trying to cross an intersection. In NJ we have a Wipers On / Lights On law but many ignore it and I’ve never understood why. If I was a cop I’d pull all of them over.

Old 07-06-2019, 07:02 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,331,967 times
I can add a few more:

>People who brake on an upgrade. (If you don't know that your vehicle decelerates dramatically on an upgrade by simply taking your foot off the accelerator pedal, then I have to question your overall understanding of vehicle dynamics.)

>People who leave a space of 10 (or more) car lengths when following other vehicles through a left turn arrow signal after being stopped. (All of the turning traffic is moving at 15 mph or less, and if you think that you need 10 or more car lengths to stop your vehicle, then I have to question your overall understanding of vehicle dynamics.)

>People who finish their business at a gas pump, get back in their vehicle, and then decide to sit there for an additional minute or two in order to do... God only knows what...

Old 07-06-2019, 07:56 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,951,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
Maybe this is only in So Cal, but what is the safety reasoning for stopping at a light and leaving so much space to the car in front that you can land a 747 jumbo jet in?

Makes...no....sense.

Not only that, but it can create a back jam so people can't get into a turn lane.
In case some idiot rearends you, you won't be pushed into the car in front of you.

AAA course recommends leaving enough space that you can see some pavement in front of the rear bumper of the car in front of you.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:07 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
More being rude, just plain stupid, or don't care, think only of themselves.
In a crowded busy gas station with people waiting for a pump to open up. People take their sweet time to the point of exaggeration. Wash every window slowly. Slowly get in the car when done but don't move out.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:14 AM

24,490 posts, read 17,232,699 times
One of the biggest pet peeves for me is when someone doesn't use their indicators. Is it really that hard people? I especially hate it when I'm sitting there waiting to take a left hand turn but a car is coming down the road and I don't want to jump out in front of it because I am courteous. The car comes along slowing then turns down the road I'm pulling out of. If I knew he was turning I could have pulled out.

Some people are just Bozos and oblivious to others on the road.

A bit of common courtesy would go a long way to making our roads safer and more enjoyable to venture out on.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:24 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,231,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
More being rude, just plain stupid, or don't care, think only of themselves.
In a crowded busy gas station with people waiting for a pump to open up. People take their sweet time to the point of exaggeration. Wash every window slowly. Slowly get in the car when done but don't move out.
I've seen this. Drivers will actually sit in their car and text and text and text even after the tank is full, while people wait to try and get their turn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive