Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 12:34 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I'd put his contemporary John DeLorean ahead of Iacocca, but at least Lido never... went completely off the rails. He did, however, get shot in the forehead in Watchmen.

Why?

Personally, I have no respect for a man caught red-handed making a drug deal and having the chutzpah to place a full-page ad in a newspaper proclaiming his innocence and soliciting contributions to his legal defense. And IIRC he screwed over Colin Chapman pretty badly and Chapman was an exponentially more creative/talented engineer than DeLorean ever was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 12:36 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,764,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Why?

Personally, I have no respect for a man caught red-handed making a drug deal and having the chutzpah to place a full-page ad in a newspaper proclaiming his innocence and soliciting contributions to his legal defense. And IIRC he screwed over Colin Chapman pretty badly and Chapman was an exponentially more creative/talented engineer than DeLorean ever was.
Well, to start with, what part of "go off the rails" did you not understand?

Compare JZD's tenure at GM with Iacocca's at Ford and it should be clear. A bit of a Gates/Jobs mismatched comparison, but one was a visionary and one was a businessman.

Old 07-03-2019, 12:46 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,214,182 times
Default Because it was bright and shiny ...

.... and had yellow split leather Corinthian leather seats my wife purchased a Chrysler Cordoba, a lemon. Years alter, Lee I. appeared in a nationwide commercial apologizing for that P.O.S.

Old 07-03-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Well, to start with, what part of "go off the rails" did you not understand?

Compare JZD's tenure at GM with Iacocca's at Ford and it should be clear. A bit of a Gates/Jobs mismatched comparison, but one was a visionary and one was a businessman.

I believe he was a self-promoting huckster with little character long before he "went off the rails". What do you believe makes him a visionary? I don't see the GTO as any more visionary than the Mustang and "wide-track" was as much advertising as anything else..

Old 07-03-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I believe he was a self-promoting huckster with little character long before he "went off the rails". What do you believe makes him a visionary? I don't see the GTO as any more visionary than the Mustang and "wide-track" was as much advertising as anything else..
Okay. Iacocca didn't single-handedly invent the Mustang, either; he came along in time to pull the blanket off at the Chicago show.

Old 07-03-2019, 01:36 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,421,087 times
If I remember right when Iacocca left Ford, he took the mini van idea with him to Chrysler. Ford hated the idea. Iacocca saw something that would sell.

Old 07-03-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
If I remember right when Iacocca left Ford, he took the mini van idea with him to Chrysler. Ford hated the idea. Iacocca saw something that would sell.
Well... there were predecessors. Also, the only thing that kept fatalities low in the rolling death traps that were the first several years of minivans was that they were driven by, well, minivan drivers. Chrysler's cost strategy was to sell a vehicle meant to be packed with people built to flimsy (but cheap) light-truck standards, based on an almost trivial technicality.

Old 07-03-2019, 02:00 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,421,087 times
Quote:
Well... there were predecessors. Also, the only thing that kept fatalities low in the rolling death traps that were the first several years of minivans was that they were driven by, well, minivan drivers. Chrysler's cost strategy was to sell a vehicle meant to be packed with people built to flimsy (but cheap) light-truck standards, based on an almost trivial technicality.

I wasnt a fan of the mini van. I remember seeing the commercials pushing it as a soccer mom, haul all the kids, load and unload out the sliding door type of vehicle. They were cheaply made, but sold millions.

Old 07-03-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Okay. Iacocca didn't single-handedly invent the Mustang, either; he came along in time to pull the blanket off at the Chicago show.

From what I read he came along in time to convince Henry II, who didn't like the idea, to build it. Personally, I 've always wished they'd built a production version of the Mustang I show car, was a good looking little car.

Old 07-03-2019, 02:04 PM

5,674 posts, read 5,885,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
.... and had yellow split leather Corinthian leather seats my wife purchased a Chrysler Cordoba, a lemon. Years alter, Lee I. appeared in a nationwide commercial apologizing for that P.O.S.
I dont seem to recall any apology from him except for odometer discrepancies on some test cars tat were sold to the public. One of my old friends still has his 79 Cordoba, dark red inside and out and that big 400 Chrysler under the hood. Damn fun car to ride in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive