Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 11:21 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,741,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Maybe you are missing the point? Yes, most motorists won't read and won't understand OBD codes. Why not allow those of us who can read them have access to them, especially when the automakers can add that option at basically zero cost?

It's no different than your computer. If it's not working you can either a) read the system error logs and diagnose it yourself, or b) take it to a tech and pay them to fix it. But at least the PC makers give you the option. The car makers should too.
"Why not?"

Because that doesn't sell new vehicles.

Your typical new car buyer keeps a vehicle for 6 years. He doesn't care if it's easy to repair 10 years down the road. Be just wants some cool bells and whistles, which is why every new vehicle is packed full of unnecessary electronic devices that will cause expensive breakdowns as the vehicle gets older. Bells and whistles sell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 12:46 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,233,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Maybe you are missing the point? Yes, most motorists won't read and won't understand OBD codes. Why not allow those of us who can read them have access to them, especially when the automakers can add that option at basically zero cost?

It's no different than your computer. If it's not working you can either a) read the system error logs and diagnose it yourself, or b) take it to a tech and pay them to fix it. But at least the PC makers give you the option. The car makers should too.
Issue is if you mess up your PC it will never lose control and mow down a line of kids waiting for their school bus.

If you mess up your car, it can kill you or others. Sometimes giving some information to the ignorant is worse than no information, do you want a keyboard warrior messing with his ABS because he read the ODB code saying there was an issue?

Old 07-08-2019, 01:11 PM

17,382 posts, read 14,919,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Issue is if you mess up your PC it will never lose control and mow down a line of kids waiting for their school bus.

If you mess up your car, it can kill you or others. Sometimes giving some information to the ignorant is worse than no information, do you want a keyboard warrior messing with his ABS because he read the ODB code saying there was an issue?

But the keyboard warrior CAN see the codes, either by buying a rather cheap scanner or taking it to Autozone where they'll read it for him. All we (or at least I) am talking about is allowing the OBD2 error codes to appear on the display inside the vehicle. Especially now that every vehicle has a screen due to the reverse camera.

Sounds like you're more thinking of it along the lines of allowing them access to the program itself and the ability to change it.. Now THAT the average person should not have access to.

I can see maybe allowing them to update the software themselves.. Of course, if you put the software out there for anyone to get, then that allows smarty pants to attempt to reverse engineer it. So, in a way, I do understand why they don't allow that.

Old 07-10-2019, 08:44 AM

15,395 posts, read 25,638,532 times
Why even have codes. Make it display in plain English what the problem is? Maybe display an out line of a car with an indication where the problem was detected.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:41 AM

15,688 posts, read 20,188,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Why even have codes. Make it display in plain English what the problem is? Maybe display an out line of a car with an indication where the problem was detected.
If you have a code for an EVAP system gross leak, where exactly would you point to.

Even with the code for the above situation, you still need to perform good ole fashioned troubleshooting. Hook up your smoke machine and that leak can be in the engine bay, or in a vac like running to the gas tank, or even the gas cap itself.

The codes are really a guide and don't replace proper troubleshooting techniques.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:45 AM

17,382 posts, read 14,919,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post

The codes all have a title to them, but many of them can be the same or very similar. So.. You have to use the code numbers.

As for 'plain english'.. It does that, too.. Like a P0171.. Bank 1 System Too Lean. Tells you exactly what the problem is. Doesn't tell you what part to replace, but tells you the problem.

Old 07-10-2019, 12:48 PM

9,781 posts, read 7,038,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
The codes all have a title to them, but many of them can be the same or very similar. So.. You have to use the code numbers.

As for 'plain english'.. It does that, too.. Like a P0171.. Bank 1 System Too Lean. Tells you exactly what the problem is. Doesn't tell you what part to replace, but tells you the problem.
...and I think that is the issue. People expect the car to be able to tell them exactly what part to replace. As the old lady on TV says "that's not how it works."

Old 07-10-2019, 01:04 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,466,994 times
I believe some GM cars from the mid 80s could display some engine data.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:14 AM

15,395 posts, read 25,638,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
If you have a code for an EVAP system gross leak, where exactly would you point to.

Even with the code for the above situation, you still need to perform good ole fashioned troubleshooting. Hook up your smoke machine and that leak can be in the engine bay, or in a vac like running to the gas tank, or even the gas cap itself.

The codes are really a guide and don't replace proper troubleshooting techniques.
I'm not saying that it would point to the exact problem or part. That's why I said to show where the problem was detected. I know the codes do that, but it's annoying to need a special reader, or have to vseach for the meaning of the code on Google. I want it to tell me what it detected so I can determine what to do on the spot. Some things need to be fixed now, and others can wait a bit. Why make people guess? I know that sometimes you're going to have to get it diagnosed by a pro. On one car we had, the code meant the car needed serious work, while on another of our cars, it was always an easy fix, not requiring going to a mechanic. Taking time to go to Autozone and get it read is hard sometimes. I'll settle for the car just giving codes, but I would prefer in in plain English.

Old 07-11-2019, 02:22 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,710,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
...and I think that is the issue. People expect the car to be able to tell them exactly what part to replace. As the old lady on TV says "that's not how it works."

Yup.

My van threw three or four codes at once when the battery was on the way out. When I put in a new battery, all the codes vanished. Imagine if I had replaced those parts, or worse, taken the van to the shop for them to diagnose and fix everything... only to find that nothing was wrong except for the dying battery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive