Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 11:11 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,323,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
nor a superior choice for anything but teenagers and old guys who are looking to hook up with someone other than their wife.

That's a bit harsh and insulting. And not even close to true. As a sports car, driving dynamics are it's primary design feature, and it excels at that.

For me, I prefer sport sedans and sports cars over pickups and SUVs, thoguh pickups and SUVs definitely have their uses and place. I replaced a 3500 dually that was my tow rig with a 2500HD Suburban for towing and dog hauling. But it only gets driven a couple times a month. I much prefer my sedans and sports cars for regular driving.

Old 07-08-2019, 12:16 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
I'm still in the process of getting a drivers license but I usually prefer SUVs and trucks over sedans because I like sitting up higher. Anyone else?
Yes. But not all SUVs sit high. Among the best of SUVs is the Subaru Forester, which sits same height as a car while STILL having max clearance under the vehicle. Wonderful vehicle.

I like SUVs for the cargo. I will never buy another vehicle w/o a cargo area.

BTW, people thnk that SUVs are gas guzzlers, but many are not. There are many SUVs that get equal or better mpg as sedans.

Reminder: Driving around a big hulk of a vehicle, SUV or truck, gets old after awhile, because it's hard in parking lots, esp underground garages. I like the small to mid-sized SUVs.

Old 07-08-2019, 02:42 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,665,602 times
Our family prefers SUVs and trucks over sedans. We have something for all occasions. All can serve the same purpose as a sedan for us but all offer additional capabilities that the sedan does not.

A Ram 3500 crew cab for hauling, towing,and daily driving duties 1-2 days per week
A Dodge Durango for family duty, vacations, and daily driving 2-3 days per week
A Jeep Rubicon JK door for cruising and daily driving duties 2-3 days per week

Old 07-08-2019, 03:20 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,104,983 times
Quote:
I'm still in the process of getting a drivers license but I usually prefer SUVs and trucks over sedans because I like sitting up higher. Anyone else?
You may change your mind after a few years of driving experience, including some time in a sedan.

Old 07-08-2019, 03:39 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,104,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I've been a licensed driver since 1962 and have owned more than a few sedans, SUVs and trucks. For the past 40 years though I have preferred trucks because I have needed to move more than just people around. I also find full-sized trucks to be more comfortable than most sedans.

Right now we're considering becoming a two F150 4x4 family after my wife's GM minivan bites the dirt which will be pretty soon I think. The minivan works well as a city vehicle for my wife but the last time she was here at the farm, she had to leave the minivan and take my 4x4 F150 just to get out due to rain and very muddy roads. She still got stuck while leaving though and it took a 4x4 tractor to get her going.

Trucks normally don't get the gas mileage of many sedans but they used to have lower insurance rates for young drivers.
The above boldfaced passage just invalidated why you're considering replacing her minivan with a pickup.

Paraphrasing what you stated, even a pickup truck is not impervious from getting stuck.

Old 07-08-2019, 04:03 PM

13,652 posts, read 9,711,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
That's a bit harsh and insulting. And not even close to true. As a sports car, driving dynamics are it's primary design feature, and it excels at that.
The gentleman had evidently missed my joke, and so by symmetry, the insult missed its mark. But even so, the point remains: not all of us have children, dogs, the trappings of robust consumer-life, big loads to haul, a camper or a boat, a large appliance often-bought, or really any outsized thing beyond our selves. Why then a vehicle that weighs two tons? Or even one?

So often we read, of how young-people embark quickly into life, and in short time need child-safety seats (or multiple) and loads of 4'x8' plywood. Then, not long after, it's their knees or back (from having all of those kids, or hauling all of that wood?), the remedy for which is something tall and upright, with high-seats, like those of toddlers at Cracker Barrel. Really? What happened to the stage of good-handling, light-weight and low c.g.? Or at those merely passions of a bygone time?

Old 07-08-2019, 04:04 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
I "prefer" to be in a safe car, driving safely to my destinations or getting back from them. SUV's are one form to do that, its the drivers that make the difference, and naturally the reliability of the contraption.

Let me know when SUV's are able to not hydroplane in flash flood conditions ...then maybe I'll reconsider them a preference. Silly how tires work .

Old 07-08-2019, 04:13 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,338,964 times
Quote:
As a daily driver, I do. I also have fun cars for when I want to hit the twisties.

My wife has a sedan. She likes it and has no desire to drive an SUV or crossover. I've had trucks for the better part of the last decade and a half, she's asked to borrow them a grand total of once.

Old 07-08-2019, 04:20 PM

12,420 posts, read 9,519,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Rural people need a pickup for hauling and towing. The rental outfits won't even hook you up with a 14' tandem axle unless you are driving a 3/4 ton.

Once you have the utility vehicle, the next stop should be something that's fun to drive, like the Civic Type R.

If you don't need to haul, forget the pickup and buy the Honda.

I do have a grannymobile SUV, but that's just because there is room in the back for the dogs.
Agree 100%, and I wasn't denying the superiority of a pickup truck for hauling or towing - that's what they're for (and recreational off-roading :-)). I was just saying that the selling points of a pickup versus a sedan or coupe won't be ride, handling and gas mileage. Sedans and coupes are pretty good on those counts.

Old 07-08-2019, 04:50 PM

5,455 posts, read 6,047,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
I "prefer" to be in a safe car, driving safely to my destinations or getting back from them. SUV's are one form to do that, its the drivers that make the difference, and naturally the reliability of the contraption.

Let me know when SUV's are able to not hydroplane in flash flood conditions ...then maybe I'll reconsider them a preference. Silly how tires work .
I've only been in two cars in my lifetime that have hydroplaned in standing water.

The first was a Mercedes 450, the other was a Z06. My SUVs have narrow tires compared to those vehicles and I drive more cautiously in rainy weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive