Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 09:28 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
This is one of my biggest complaints driving on the road on the weekend. People often brake way too early causing more jams and even close calls.
Why don't you just develop a little patience?

My guess is that you're the guy riding my tail when I am driving safely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 10:59 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
Cruise control is the work of the devil. Without, your car will gradually decelerate just by taking your foot off the gas. With CC, you hit the brake to begin a cautionary deceleration.

Old 07-10-2019, 12:39 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Quote:
Another example is when there's an accident or police activity and cars suddenly rise the brakes through the area instead of ignoring and keep going. I've seen accidents right ahead of me during this situation.
Well I’m no cop but if I were one; I think I’d appreciate it if people slowed down when I’m in the emergency lane. Officers are being killed on our roads because people are ‘ignoring’ emergency vehicles on the shoulder or in the medians.

Old 07-10-2019, 01:32 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:
I don't know how's the traffic in your area but here in NYC/NJ, this stuff causes accidents. I had a co-worker who was hit from behind twice, which had me thinking that she is probably driving too slow or hit the brakes too quickly and often. I've never been hit from behind, had been hit in the front and narrowly escaping a car veering towards me.

If you were driving and encountering people that brake too quickly and you follow suit cars behind you could slam into you. I often pull around cars that brake too early and then circle around them and got in front and pull away just to avoid being sandwiched into slow traffic.
LMAO! They get rear-ended because the idiot behind them is either tailgating or driving to fast.

Putting the blame on the driver in front is infantile.

Old 07-10-2019, 01:34 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:
It is a contributing factor to accidents. I didn't say it is right or wrong, it's a cause and effect issue.

High risk low reward choice. I'm one of those that likes some spacing, I would not tail gate someone because I'm afraid of folks that brakes early before hitting a curve. Or one of those folks that does a 50% slowdown before turning into a street. I usually drive on the non-turning lanes to avoid having to brake.

Trust me, I drove manual for over 2 decades I know what engine braking is. If I were to engine brake it would be on a curve so I can downshift to lower gears. I would use my tranny to slow the car on the highway, that is how trannys and clutches wear out when you put a lot of pressure and heat unnecessarily.

The problem I am pointing out with people braking early is this bad instinct or reaction to hitting the brakes when seeing something on the road or someone is about to change lanes they go for the brakes instead of just checking the traffic and moving over.

For example, there's a cop 1 mile away. Even people who drive at the speed limit suddenly hit the brakes to slow down and causing other cars to hit the brakes unnecessarily.

If you're doing at the speed limit, what are you worry about?
You don't understand the idiocy of this statement. Do the world a favor and take the bus.

Good lord.

Old 07-10-2019, 04:08 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Thanks for the warning. Note to self: avoid visiting and driving in NYC and NJ because the drivers openly flaunt the posted maximum speed limit and are dangerous, impatient, and inconsiderate drivers.
Well...um.....Yeah.

Sorry you were delayed in getting that memo....dern that old technology!

its been a fact for many a year. They wear it with a badge of honor and call it the NY/NJ attitude!

Old 07-10-2019, 07:21 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:

For example, there's a cop 1 mile away. Even people who drive at the speed limit suddenly hit the brakes to slow down and causing other cars to hit the brakes unnecessarily.

If you're doing at the speed limit, what are you worry about?
Have you heard of the "move over" laws many states now have?

Old 07-10-2019, 07:34 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
You are waaay too logical, this argument won't go far. This whole topic is more about psychology than it is about driving skills. Many people use their vehicle as an extension of their ego and delude themselves into thinking that they are anonymous in their little steel cage. Driving on a public road is a contest for them, an opportunity to show that they are better, smarter, faster and most importantly - RIGHT.
This is so true. Yesterday I was all the way to the left because I knew an upcoming exit was going to be dead stop traffic. I needed to take the next exit after it. The car in front of me was doing 60 or so in a 65 so when traffic cleared I hit the signal and moved to the right. As soon as I matched the car the driver started speeding up as if to keep me from passing them on the right. Just for giggles I started to accelerate and sure enough they matched my speed up to 75. There was literally no cars for 1/8 mile and this driver was concerned I was getting ahead of them yet they refused to move out of the passing lane. They had to be so disappointed when I took the exit.

Old 07-10-2019, 07:46 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times
Quote:
Another example is when there's an accident or police activity and cars suddenly rise the brakes through the area instead of ignoring and keep going. I've seen accidents right ahead of me during this situation.

Well, duh!!! You are supposed to slow down in those situations! Slow down and move over if the activity is on the side of the road, and slow down and follow all directives given by law enforcement who are on the scene.

If you are in NYC, you should be very well aware the NYS has a move over law, and has for several years.

Old 07-10-2019, 07:52 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Well I’m no cop but if I were one; I think I’d appreciate it if people slowed down when I’m in the emergency lane. Officers are being killed on our roads because people are ‘ignoring’ emergency vehicles on the shoulder or in the medians.

Yup, and the OP seems to be oblivious to the fact that he lives in a state with the Move Over law. If a person can't move over for some reason, they are supposed to slow down and pass with caution, not blow by at their normal traveling speed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive