Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 10:53 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,766,671 times

Advertisements

Don't like the price? Fix it yourself. Not willing to fix it yourself? You're gonna have to pay up

Hell, he did the work you asked for. With the parts YOU bought. For a price YOU agreed to.

This is all your doing. Maybe you should make better decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 11:35 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,939,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Don't like the price? Fix it yourself. Not willing to fix it yourself? You're gonna have to pay up

Hell, he did the work you asked for. With the parts YOU bought. For a price YOU agreed to.

This is all your doing. Maybe you should make better decisions.
I asked for a straight response to my question, not a smartass response. Everyone who is ripped off agreed to something or they wouldn't be ripped off. Bottom line is I was OVER CHARGED AND the problem was not fixed and I "payed up" 3x market rate. So maybe I should get a refund then??? I agreed to the price out of trust and ignorance. Why do you think I should "make better decisions" if you don't think I was ripped off?

Old 07-09-2019, 12:02 PM

Did he guarantee that this would "fix the problem"? Or did he simply agree to replace the motor mounts? Big difference.

If it's the former, then he should at least be willing to work with you. If it's the latter, then this is just poor decision-making on your part.

As for the price, you were perfectly free to take your business elsewhere or do the work yourself. You freely chose otherwise... and now you're blaming somebody else for your poor decisions.

Old 07-09-2019, 12:09 PM

It's possible that the motor mounts were bad *and* there are other problems causing the vibration.

It's also possible that the motor mounts were bad *and* the new made-in-china junk you purchased on your own is of such poor quality that it isn't properly damping engine vibrations.

We will never know

Old 07-09-2019, 12:13 PM

1,874 posts, read 2,232,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I bought the parts myself. It was a 2013 Sonata with a 4 cylinder. He used floor jacks and did it at his apartment with no input costs.
I think I misread your original post. I thought you were charged $300 per mount and $150 for labor. I didn't realize that you bought the mounts yourself and paid $150 for about 1 hour of labor and still have the same symptoms. Based on the thread that you linked, I would be inclined to look at your suspension system as the culprit. Have your balljoints, tie-rods, and control arm bushings checked out...could even be a wheel bearing. I would also suggest you find a Hyundai specific forum because it it very likely that other owners have had, identified the issue, and found a solution.

Old 07-09-2019, 12:27 PM

Yeah, I see his old thread now. It's hard to guess without driving the car and laying my healing hands upon it... but with a vibration at 40-50mph and uneven tire wear, I'd be looking at tire balance, suspension, possible bent wheel, etc. A motor mount is possible too (for vibration at least), but not the first thing I'd go after just based on the description.

And of course it's possible that there are multiple problems with the vehicle. Could be that the motor mounts *were* bad... and tires are also out of balance. That sort of thing.

Sorry... my crystal ball isn't working. Gotta love when a customer drives a piece of junk, buys cheap parts, hires billybob to do the work in a parking lot... and is still pissed that his car isn't fixed. One of many reasons why I'm a *former* mechanic.

I hope he gets ripped off several more times.

Old 07-09-2019, 12:47 PM

4,621 posts, read 4,889,959 times
Quote:
I asked for a straight response to my question, not a smartass response. Everyone who is ripped off agreed to something or they wouldn't be ripped off. Bottom line is I was OVER CHARGED AND the problem was not fixed and I "payed up" 3x market rate. So maybe I should get a refund then??? I agreed to the price out of trust and ignorance. Why do you think I should "make better decisions" if you don't think I was ripped off?
Sounds like you wern't ripped off and paid market rate.

$150 for labour to change out motor mounts is a good price
He said the mounts were bad, do you have a reason to doubt him? Did you get the bad mounts back?

Old 07-09-2019, 12:51 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,513,828 times
You probably have a bad hub bearing. Uneven tire wear means something isn’t lining up. Ball joint, steering end link alignment, bad hub bearing worn out suspension bushings

Old 07-09-2019, 01:20 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,158,197 times
Quote:
I had a friend of a friend who replaced my motor mounts on my car. The shop quoted me $300 per motor mount, but I found them online for less than $100! The labor they quoted was $200. So this friend of a friend quoted me $150 for labor. I said okay because I was saving so much on parts and I thought it would take a while. He also confirmed it was bad motor mounts. But then it only took him 1 hour and I still had the exact same problem and still charged me $150.

1. Did my friend of a friend doing a side job overcharge me?
You asked your friend to change the motor mounts and he did just that. The old motor mounts were bad, but it seems (without looking at your car) that there are other issues with your old car. What year, mileage and what kind of car is it? What are the symptoms?

Quote:
2. Why were the parts so much more expensive from the shop?
The shop was going to order more expensive parts. Perhaps factory oem parts from a dealership. You ordered aftermarket cheaper ones.

My husband fixes my car. And there are many options for replacement parts, and with a wide range of prices. And when fixing our cars, sometimes the problem is due to more than one worn part. He uses logic and works his way towards a total fix.

AND... when mechanics charge for labour, they not only factor in their time, but also the hassle factor and skillset needed for the job. Sometimes, special tools are needed for that job. And that's why some repair work is just worth more per hour in labour.

And if you are so worried about repair costs, buy your own tools and learn to repair your car yourself!!!!

Old 07-09-2019, 01:21 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,976,546 times
Did you get ripped off? That depends on a simple question. Did you ask the person to diagnose and fix the problem that was causing the mechanical problem or did you instruct them to replace the motor mounts as that's what you were told by someone else was the cause of your mechanical problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive