Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 07:28 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,335,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Discounts are regional. Every dealer in the NE is offering $10k off or more on trucks right off the bat, whereas in the SE US you can't get them to throw in a pair of running boards.
I'm in the Southeast and I can assure you the discounts are huge here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 07:36 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,565,220 times
I could easily sell my 07 Tacoma TRD Sport (108k miles) today for over $11k.

Same year F-150 XLT with similar miles you’d be lucky to get $7,500 for it.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:24 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,339,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Is truck brand popularity regional?
I don't know but between my only neighbor and I here on the rural Texas South Plains, we have 4 newer F-150s, all 4x4s.

Lots of Chevys in Lubbock though. The older GMs trucks seem to be typically driven mostly by Hispanics.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:27 PM

4,665 posts, read 3,858,543 times
I see a good amount of Nissan Frontiers in my town. Weird, because I don’t see that many outside of this area. There’s not a Nissan dealer for a good distance away either.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:40 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,579,376 times
Quote:
Well I now see where the SUV sales are all going.

When the Durango was reintroduced in 2011 after a year-long break, the production numbers never recovered from their late 1990's/early 2000's runs, which approached 200,000 units per year at the height of production in 1999. The volume now is closer to 60,000 units a year, and hasn't recovered.

What used to be a top-trim-level, full-size SUV for around $45,000 (about $20k cheaper than comparable import luxury SUV's at the time) became a $65-70k dunce in its segment with several more popular alternatives for the same price, which carry more cachet than a domestic three-row 4x4 couch.
That's because Asian manufacturers stepped up their game and now produce lots of CUVs that are much more reliable than the Durango. If I were purchasing a CUV today, the Durango wouldn't even be on my list of vehicles to check out.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:51 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,579,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
Eventually, I think the Toyota Tundra and Nissan Frontier will sell in greater numbers because of word of mouth. Back in the 70s, people were pretty much forced to buy Japanese vehicles for the first time and realized after owning them a while that they were much more reliable than anything else they ever owned before and kept buying them.

Pickups claim a different clientele with ideas like "my granddaddy owned a Ford and my daddy owned a Ford, so by God, I will own Fords, too". The same can be said for Chevys. When their friends who aren't so closed minded buy a Tundra, Tacoma, Titan or Frontier and not have the problems Detroit vehicles are plagued with, and they compare them, they will think with their minds and wallets instead of their outdated ideas about the trucks that spew out of Detroit.

I know it took me way too many years of driving Detroit and European cars to finally buy a Japanese car even though I have subscribed to Consumer Reports for over forty years! It takes a lot to change a persons mind even when the facts hit them in the face all the time. I just wish I had the money I wasted on Detroit cars and their repairs now that I finally entered reality.

Tundras and Tacomas are built here in San Antonio. Local pride has made them big sellers here. I'm sure the word will spread about their superiority but it will take time to sink in to the dyed in the wool Detroit fan.
I looked at a Taco a couple of years ago and a Titan a few months ago. Both are in the Stone Age technology-wise. Neither comes anywhere near the level of technology and tow capacity of a new Chevy/GMC or Ram. And Ford will be redesigning in a year or two. My local dealer had seven 2018 Titan XDs on the lot and they couldn't even sell those, so they never even bothered ordering 2019 models. Makes shopping easy if you want a Titan XD! Versus well over a thousand Big 3 pickups to choose from. I don't see Toyota or Nissan making any inroads in the half ton segment. And I see them losing ground in the 7/8ths size pickups with the rebirth of the Ranger.

Old 07-11-2019, 06:21 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,409,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I looked at a Taco a couple of years ago and a Titan a few months ago. Both are in the Stone Age technology-wise. Neither comes anywhere near the level of technology and tow capacity of a new Chevy/GMC or Ram. And Ford will be redesigning in a year or two. My local dealer had seven 2018 Titan XDs on the lot and they couldn't even sell those, so they never even bothered ordering 2019 models. Makes shopping easy if you want a Titan XD! Versus well over a thousand Big 3 pickups to choose from. I don't see Toyota or Nissan making any inroads in the half ton segment. And I see them losing ground in the 7/8ths size pickups with the rebirth of the Ranger.
The foreign automakers have conceded the full-size truck market to the American automakers they know they can’t even come close to what the American automakers make. When it comes to the pickup market the domestic automakers have it to themselves.

Old 07-11-2019, 06:56 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,299,034 times
Quote:
Well I now see where the SUV sales are all going.

When the Durango was reintroduced in 2011 after a year-long break, the production numbers never recovered from their late 1990's/early 2000's runs, which approached 200,000 units per year at the height of production in passenger 1999. The volume now is closer to 60,000 units a year, and hasn't recovered.

What used to be a top-trim-level, full-size SUV for around $45,000 (about $20k cheaper than comparable import luxury SUV's at the time) became a $65-70k dunce in its segment with several more popular alternatives for the same price, which carry more cachet than a domestic three-row 4x4 couch.
problem is they used to be the go between SUV that is very capable for towing and carrying 7 passengers but now they enter the same price as the full-size Chevy Yukon/Tahoe and Ford Expedition that both have alot more room and can tow/hual a larger payload.

Plus the fist gen Durango's looked really good and shared the same mid-sized truck platform as the Dakota they were esp. nice in the 5.9L V-8 R/T trim(s)

Old 07-11-2019, 07:04 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,299,034 times
To stay on topic I would say here in the PNW the Ford F-series and Ram and Ram HD are the most popular for people towing Travel Trailers and 5th wheels around here.

pretty hard to beat a 6.7L Power Stroke or 6.7L Cummins diesel for both work and play GM seems to lag behind but still a few 6.6L Duramax diesels out there working and playing hard.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:07 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,689,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
The foreign automakers have conceded the full-size truck market to the American automakers they know they can’t even come close to what the American automakers make. When it comes to the pickup market the domestic automakers have it to themselves.
That’s the FULLSIZE pickup market, not all pickups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive