Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 09:48 AM

28,575 posts, read 18,599,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Pfft....

Our business has 20 company vehicles. and yes , people have lost them when out of town. So we relied on a cost effective method.

for 29.00 we utilized an online site that carried the fobs. We had to give them the vin # and from there they sent the key. Yes it took a four step procedure to have the system recognize the fob. What a hoot that is programming it. Beep twice, flash left, wiggle your toes ordeal.

I do not understand why folks continue to think the dealership is the only place to get replacements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCapeCod View Post
Suggestion (after the fact in this case). When you purchase a vehicle, it should have two factory (OEM) key fobs.

With those two fobs you can make several additional key fobs, for relatively little money. I keep my factory issued fobs at home and make dups for my wife and myself. A lost key fob simply means I need to make another duplicate fob, using the two factory units.

Rich
Agree. In my experience with three vehicles now, if you have two of the original factory fobs, you can--carefully--purchase the correct inexpensive fobs from eBay vendors and go through a thoroughly silly process to mate them to the car.

There are some older cars that only need one original fob, but I think most newer cars need two.

If you have only one factory fob in a situation that requires two, many locksmiths will have the information to take the eBay fob and match it from one factory fob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 09:49 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,520,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
thanks @upstateJohn. I did find it cheaper but my concern was whether or not it would work because it was ridiculously lower.

I have to go now and kill that kid.
The really cheap ones are made in China and don't last very long. Plenty of stories in automotive forums about them.

Old 07-12-2019, 09:50 AM

28,575 posts, read 18,599,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
The really cheap ones are made in China and don't last very long. Plenty of stories in automotive forums about them.
I suspect they're all made in China.

Old 07-12-2019, 09:56 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,776,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCapeCod View Post
Suggestion (after the fact in this case). When you purchase a vehicle, it should have two factory (OEM) key fobs.

With those two fobs you can make several additional key fobs, for relatively little money. I keep my factory issued fobs at home and make dups for my wife and myself. A lost key fob simply means I need to make another duplicate fob, using the two factory units.

Rich
Some vehicles will only allow a certain number of fobs to be programmed at one time. I can only have 3 fr my truck, 4 for my Mustang.

Old 07-12-2019, 03:03 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,783,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Some vehicles will only allow a certain number of fobs to be programmed at one time. I can only have 3 fr my truck, 4 for my Mustang.
You’re correct. My Chevy Bolt manual states I can duplicate up to eight additional fobs.

Rich

Old 07-12-2019, 03:07 PM

17,386 posts, read 13,117,049 times
Quote:
My son lost my spare key . I have a 2012 infiniti G37, called the dealer to replace it and they told me $225 bucks.

where's a "faint" smilie when you need it.

Any alternative to this and why the heck are they so expensive.

Most hardware key shops can make these new keys now

Old 07-12-2019, 03:42 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,610 posts, read 57,588,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Most hardware key shops can make these new keys now
Depends on chip code.

$65 seems to be minimum (if you have code)
$85 for them to clone from existing key.

More for additional features.

Old 07-12-2019, 03:47 PM

21,715 posts, read 9,277,368 times
Quote:
My son lost my spare key . I have a 2012 infiniti G37, called the dealer to replace it and they told me $225 bucks.

That sounds like just the FOB price. Doesn't include programming it.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:13 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,887,938 times
Quote:

Some older cars require two (2) factory chip keys to make more.

Stick with OEM manufacturers blanks.

If you only have one. Then a dealer may have to do programming. You don't have to purchase from the new car dealer. But just make sure you are getting a real factory replacement.

Be sure to program all keys/FOBS at the same time.

Old 07-13-2019, 08:12 PM

6,031 posts, read 6,092,397 times
Quote:

They're coded, with a board and chip. Details vary, obviously related to anti-theft manufacturer to manufacturer. Keyless fobs are broadcasting/receiving too, and programmed by the dealer.

That's how it goes for my '13 Land Cruiser nad '18 Ford Shelby. Fobs are $225 or so, yes. "Losing" something like that is just stupid bordering on impossible at my house since all keys go same place, all the time, but that's the definition of a child anyway. Accidents happen, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive