Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 06:20 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,932,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
We were talking pickup trucks - not big rigs.

Things like this:

In this case, it's intentionally dumping fuel which doesn't burn and is then blown out through the exhaust.
That’s just someone being an idiot and let’s not make the exception the rule, ok? A high majority of gas and diesel buyers do not modify their exhausts like that, especially given they would fail most state’s annual inspections if they were rigged to blow exhaust like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 06:41 PM

1,069 posts, read 787,368 times
Default I am sure everybody agree's with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
That I like my air with less carcinogens. Not sure when that became controversial.
The problem as I see it is some things can be taken too far and sometimes misconstrued. The regulation governing diesel fuel are actually a are good thing (within reason). Problems occur when people misconstrue a statement. Here's a couple of examples.

https://sf.curbed.com/2019/4/23/1851...forbes-dpw-dog

https://www.kcet.org/shows/socal-con...-as-fertilizer

Both of these stories are very misleading and fall in the same category as that pickup blowing out smoke in the picture posted above this one.

I had started this thread to raise awareness about the environmental overkill that sometimes takes place. Most Truckers have families and pay taxes like everyone else. They work hard and deliver the goods so America may move forward. Road blocks and complications to their way of life will only restrict the overall progress of this country.

Things are moving forward for cleaner air. Here is an objective point of view.

https://www.marketplace.org/2014/07/...air-pollution/

Old 07-16-2019, 05:39 AM

9,885 posts, read 7,217,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
That’s just someone being an idiot and let’s not make the exception the rule, ok? A high majority of gas and diesel buyers do not modify their exhausts like that, especially given they would fail most state’s annual inspections if they were rigged to blow exhaust like that.
I'm not making an exception to the rule. I was merely replying to someone who asked why some late model pickup trucks belch sooty smoke.

I agree - someone that does that is an idiot and even with an inspection, it's possible they will pass because the systems that create the sooty smoke are on demand. They work with a switch and and leave the emissions system in place.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:22 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,257,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
My Cruze diesel doesn't do that.
And unlike VWs, it's always been legal!

Old 07-19-2019, 11:33 AM

29,500 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Oh well. Start dumping shipments at the state line and let them figure out how to get it the rest of the way.
Brilliant idea... grandeur schemes sound great until the logical aspects come into play. I wonder if they will ban locomotives, and all those dirty fuel oil burning containerships that come into port there.

Old 07-20-2019, 10:27 AM

1,069 posts, read 787,368 times
Default L.A. has just given more diesels the boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Brilliant idea... grandeur schemes sound great until the logical aspects come into play. I wonder if they will ban locomotives, and all those dirty fuel oil burning containerships that come into port there.
That is the largest port in the U.S. More to follow. See link below.

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-...620-story.html

Old 07-20-2019, 11:55 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
That I like my air with less carcinogens. Not sure when that became controversial.
What carcinogens do modern diesel engines, with the current emissions technology produce more than any other ICE engine? What concentration is an actual health risk?

Old 07-20-2019, 01:58 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
CA's problem is they need to build mass transit system instead of having different energy. If every car in CA is electric we will have a different kind of eco problem probably far worst than today's current problem. The problem is we should not have so many cars on the road plain and simple. The less cars on the road the less demand for energy. Of course, most Americans are against mass transit because it's horribly run but in other countries majority of people use mass transit and it's ran reasonably well and quite affordable.

Old 07-20-2019, 02:03 PM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
CA's problem is they need to build mass transit system instead of having different energy. If every car in CA is electric we will have a different kind of eco problem probably far worst than today's current problem. The problem is we should not have so many cars on the road plain and simple. The less cars on the road the less demand for energy. Of course, most Americans are against mass transit because it's horribly run but in other countries majority of people use mass transit and it's ran reasonably well and quite affordable.
I've tried the mass transit thing here. I work 15 miles away. Mass transit takes two hours each way. I can take my car in 12-15 minutes. On nice days I can take my bike in less than an hour. The mass transit here sucks.

Old 07-20-2019, 02:06 PM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Here is a list of all new oil burners. Love it.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...car-truck-suv/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive