Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 10:32 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,696,994 times

Advertisements

Of all the businesses I would think were do-able, tire manufacturing would be at the very bottom of the list. It's almost like saying " I think I will start a business building nuclear reactors".

Not only would the capital layout be tremendously high, but the equipment, the knowledge, and the government regulations would be huge problems to overcome, not to mention the competition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 11:39 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Get an engineering degree first, and then a business degree.
It would help if you are good at sales as well.

To run a company like that, you need to know all the ropes.
College education, engineering degree or advanced calculus have nothing to with this. This is a business. You can watch a youtube video and learn what goes into making a tire. The problem is this is a mature industry. Does the world need yet another P215/65 R15 tire on the rack? Maybe niche markets that the Goodyears of the world aren't in them. Somebody came out with bicycle tries in whatever colors you wanted. Now that was cool. Not sure how they made out.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:02 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
I think it's something you should pursue. Is there a tire manufacturer near you? It would be great to get an internship there so you can get a hands-on feel for the industry, and maybe find a mentor.

You don't have to do every aspect of the manufacturing and sales yourself, but being familiar with them all is helpful. Then you can focus on what interests you the most.

Old 07-14-2019, 11:34 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
College education, engineering degree or advanced calculus have nothing to with this. This is a business. You can watch a youtube video and learn what goes into making a tire. The problem is this is a mature industry. Does the world need yet another P215/65 R15 tire on the rack? Maybe niche markets that the Goodyears of the world aren't in them. Somebody came out with bicycle tries in whatever colors you wanted. Now that was cool. Not sure how they made out.
He probably isn't going to just up and start a tire company, that is delusional.

OP needs to learn what it takes to engineer a tire, run a business and sell them.
YouTube aint gonna tell you that... that's like saying you can build something by watching How It's Made.

If he's motivated, he could definitely end up "in the business".
Many CEOs (especially in Europe) have engineering and business degrees. Maybe he's destined to be the CEO of Bridgestone!

Old 07-14-2019, 11:49 AM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
OP, do you mean for employment or you want to start your own brand? I’m assuming you meant for a job.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-14-2019, 12:07 PM

17,536 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Considering that the major tire manufacturers moved production to Japan (then sold companies to the Japanese) because of tremendous domestic manufacturing expense

The only Firestone and Goodyear tires mad in the US are professional racing tires

Old 07-14-2019, 01:31 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,416,035 times
Do you know how bad the american tire companys have suffered economically along with american car makers in the past 20 years? Thousands of experienced workers from all levels have lost their jobs...Why would you be able to get one?

Old 07-14-2019, 02:17 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
Do you know how bad the american tire companys have suffered economically along with american car makers in the past 20 years? Thousands of experienced workers from all levels have lost their jobs...Why would you be able to get one?
An engineer can get a job. If not in tires, then elsewhere.
If you told me in the '70's what I'd be designing now (for almost 27 years), I wouldn't have believed you.
Sometimes the path you think you're going to take ends up being something completely different, so prepare yourself for the journey.

Old 07-14-2019, 02:36 PM

146 posts, read 73,963 times
You are an 18 year old high school grad and you want to be a tire manufacturer. Maybe starting as a tire changer at Discount tire then play Powerball every week would be your best chance of making that happen.

Old 07-14-2019, 02:38 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
An engineer can get a job. If not in tires, then elsewhere.
If you told me in the '70's what I'd be designing now (for almost 27 years), I wouldn't have believed you.
Sometimes the path you think you're going to take ends up being something completely different, so prepare yourself for the journey.
Same here... EV's in the 1970's and 3D printing in 1980's and 90's (Stuff that wasn't on the radar of the average Joe), but it paid the bills and provided lots of great stock options. And fun / creativity / profits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive