Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 06:09 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,913,300 times

Advertisements

I am in the car purchasing mode but not happy with the changes in engine technology. I'm not happy about the turbo trend but I could live with that. What I really dont like is the direct injection. From what I've read, the engines tend to develop carbon build up on the intake valves and there is no way to remove it. Then the owner is stuck replacing the heads. Have I got the story about right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 06:26 AM

134 posts, read 471,960 times
You can clean the engine with various foams and walnut blast method but it is pain. The biggest downside to manufacturer's going DI to meet CAFE is that exhaust from DI is too small for human body to filter out and it lands in our lungs. Good for environment via more MPG, but terrible for our bodies.

Old 07-17-2019, 06:44 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,417,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobeGuy View Post
You can clean the engine with various foams and walnut blast method but it is pain. The biggest downside to manufacturer's going DI to meet CAFE is that exhaust from DI is too small for human body to filter out and it lands in our lungs. Good for environment via more MPG, but terrible for our bodies.
I have a GDI you put in Direct Fuel Injector Cleaner into the gas tank every 5,000 miles or use top tier gas. Most manufacturers are going to GDI. My 2016 Kia Sorento has never had a problem and it’s covered by a 100,000 mile warranty, just do the maintenance that’s specified in the owners manual.

Old 07-17-2019, 06:45 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,315,042 times
Look for an engine that uses both direct and port injection.

The port injection keeps the valves clean.

for example, from Toyota:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2aY981XWY8

Old 07-17-2019, 06:48 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,417,589 times
Quote:
Walnut blasting involves removing the intake manifold and your average driver isn’t going to do that. GDI engine gets better MPG also.

Old 07-17-2019, 06:51 AM

134 posts, read 471,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
I have a GDI you put in Direct Fuel Injector Cleaner into the gas tank every 5,000 miles or use top tier gas. Most manufacturers are going to GDI. My 2016 Kia Sorento has never had a problem and it’s covered by a 100,000 mile warranty, just do the maintenance that’s specified in the owners manual.
The way GDI work, anything you put in your gas tank won't clean anything. If it did, you wouldn't have any issues to begin with. Cleaners that clean GDI engines go in from under the hood of the car.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:36 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,951,486 times
Some recommend using 'CRC 05319 GDI IVD Intake Valve & Turbo Cleaner' every 10 - 20K.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:43 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,273,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Some recommend using 'CRC 05319 GDI IVD Intake Valve & Turbo Cleaner' every 10 - 20K.
That or Seafoam.

Generally you can squeeze the straw in just past the MAF sensor and spray away.

Might work, might not if there's too much crud built up. That said this is something diesels have experienced since they were diesels. Don't see folks crying into their beer about dirty intake valves of diesels.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:20 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
The way GDI work, anything you put in your gas tank won't clean anything. If it did, you wouldn't have any issues to begin with. Cleaners that clean GDI engines go in from under the hood of the car.
I have to laugh at the way Hyundai recommends that. It may keep the injectors themselves clean, but it doesn’t even touch the valves.

Old 07-17-2019, 12:36 PM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times
Toyota has both direct and port injectors in their new turbo engines and surely enough, they start showing signs of build up after 70K miles. We already have reports of that in Club Lexus.
Honda does nothing. Ridgeline had DI engine for years and thousands of miles and I have not noticed much gripe about it in Ridgeline Owners Club.

Germans had DI engines about the longest of them all and they are known to have problem with carbon build up.
Walnut shell blasting is beyond average DIY guy and is roughly $600. Dealer. As dealer said "oh, build up is not a problem, you just come here and we blast them valves". Of course....

Thing is, no one really asks buyer if they want DI. You want more power, better mpg - you get DI engine. Period. You are Ok with lower mpg, still decent power - you buy old school V6 or V8 and enjoy the car.

It's you call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive