Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 08:50 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,023,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourdifferentseasons View Post
Hi,
I'm looking for a car under $5 k, and posting on here for recommendations for such (year, model). I'm primarily looking for a car that is reliable, not too expensive to repair, and still has some style/basic features. Thanks.
Toyotas Echo or Yaris that has been well maintained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2019, 09:10 AM

414 posts, read 356,816 times
Confirm if the particular year / make / model has a timing belt vs timing chain (easy google search).. If it has a timing belt, try to confirm if the timing belt has been replaced somewhat recently (repair receipts, etc). If there’s no proof then plan on getting the timing belt replaced at the time of purchase (usually a $1k job) or walk away from the car.

Old 07-21-2019, 12:09 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,552,414 times
I've buy vehicles others don't want.

As example, high miles, but well maintained, and I know that the owner lived in a rural area with paved roads. Standard transmissions are a favorite of mine, as virtually no one wants them. Ones that need some repairs that are not major, as example, new tires, or brakes. One can get major discounts on those.

Haven't bought a new vehicle in 40 years, never spent more than $1,000 in repairs on any of those vehicles in that time, and usually keep them for 4-5 years. Often I get close to what I paid for them in the end, and in one case, I actually made money after 4 years of driving it.

But that's me, I know what I am looking for, and I usually buy when I don't HAVE to buy one, but a deal crosses my path.

Old 07-21-2019, 01:32 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,797,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Older Nissan Sentra, or similar Mazda.
Yep, you can find those with lower mileage than Honda or Toyota. Especially Nissan.

Old 07-21-2019, 02:32 PM

1,197 posts, read 1,537,800 times
Pontiac Vibe. People dismiss it because it's a Pontiac, but in reality it is a Toyota Matrix in Pontiac skin (much like how the old Geo brand was essentially rebadged Toyotas and Isuzus). And the Matrix was basically a hatchback version of the Corolla (same engine/transmission/etc). The car was built in Fremont in a factory jointly owned by Toyota and GM. Toyota reliability with GM pricing.

Old 07-21-2019, 03:17 PM

12,101 posts, read 16,992,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourdifferentseasons View Post
Hi,
I'm looking for a car under $5 k, and posting on here for recommendations for such (year, model). I'm primarily looking for a car that is reliable, not too expensive to repair, and still has some style/basic features. Thanks.
I would say your best bet is to raise your price range to 7-10K and buy from a dealer.

Most people looking to sell their car on the street are looking to get rid of a car with problems.

However, some people (like me) may be looking to trade in a high mileage car that doesn't have big problems yet, but may.

I'm thinking I could trade my car in for 5K and they would try and sell it for 7-8K.

So, if you buy a car like mine, it may serve you well, but there's the potential for large problems in the near future.

There's no way to avoid that buying that price range.

But I have the entire history of my car and there have been no major repairs, regular maintenance always done, have all the records etc.

Old 07-21-2019, 04:35 PM

531 posts, read 447,611 times
Ones to avoid:
Private party sale but the car has a dealer plate, or no plate at all. They bought it and then found it would be too expensive to fix.
One brought to you on a trailer. There's a reason they don't want to drive it for any distance.
"Only needs an O2 sensor." Perhaps, and perhaps it could also need a catalytic converter. Perhaps the engine is burning oil and that's why the sensor gets gummed up.
You really shouldn't encounter any of these turkeys in the $5K range, though.

Old 07-21-2019, 09:57 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,806,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougfan View Post
Beat me to it - was going to say Mercury Grand Marquis / Lincoln Town Car also.

Buick Park Avenues, too

The Park ave, LeSabre, Riviera and Regal all had the same 3800 engine up until about 2006ish. Not sure about the LeSabre but there was a supercharged version available for the others that bumped the HP up to about 240. The Regal also had the supercharged GSX version which was dealer option so there isn't many of them, that was 280HP which in the late nineties and early 2000's was pretty impressive. Dual exhaust, factory tuned, higher psi on the supercharger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_A18JnfEto

Old 07-22-2019, 03:18 AM

11,973 posts, read 9,050,620 times
I'd get an old Toyota Camry. By the time they get 10+ years old, the Camry is just about the same price as the Corolla, and it will be a little more comfortable and look a little nicer. As others have said:
  • Condition of the car is critical
  • Want one that hasn't been beaten on by a kid
  • One where the owner did all the required maintenance - ideally service records to show this
  • Finding one owned by a retiree who was comfortable with $ a good thing
  • Check VIN number against CarFax for accidents
  • Once you find one that you really like and are ready to buy, have a condition inspection done by a mechanic

Old 07-22-2019, 02:18 PM

8 posts, read 8,963 times
Adding to others comments... sorry I know OP is looking for model specific info but at the <$5,000 price range, model is very important but just as important is simply how good of a buy the particular car is. A good model might be in bad shape, etc..

I try to look for someone who I can sense is a busy working person that knows how to communicate. Someone who has had the money, contentiousness, and commute needs to keep the vehicle in great shape rather than doing the bare minimum to keep it running. Who doesn't have the time to try to nickel and dime to get the most $$ as possible for it but instead just wants someone who will no hassle come check it out and buy it. Who is selling because not that the car is falling apart but because they upgraded to a newer vehicle just for the fun of upgrading because they have the cash and family wants new vehicle comfort features.

They should be very detailed about the car in the ad and very upfront about all issues it has.

Look for craigslist ads like this that are new. Good deals posted, find them when they're posted, because they'll get sold fast. Old ads are not a good sign. Find a new ad that's a good deal like this, and communicate like an adult who is serious about buying when you contact them. They'll schedule you before scheduling the person who sends them two badly spelled sentences asking stupid questions.

(On the flipside... This is how I sell my car. And almost every single time, the first person to check out my vehicle ends up buying it. The only time it didn't happen was when I mistakenly missed noticing an exhaust leak that they noticed and we couldn't agree on theoretical repair cost and thus the vehicle's value.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive